Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Faulkner Downsample(new Decimation/Downsampling method.)  (Read 2097 times)

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
Faulkner Downsample(new Decimation/Downsampling method.)
« on: November 06, 2007, 09:17:17 PM »
If I had to list one engineer who is the embodiment of the type of Recording Engineer I would like to become, I would say Tony Faulkner without hesitation. Every single recording ive ever heard of his(I own probably 50 or 60 with him at the helm) has been unreal...BUT Not only is he an amazing engineer,  he is a genuinely good, noble Human Being. I often email him to ask him *annoying questions*, and he always responds within an hour with thoughtful, full length emails no matter what time of day it is. Now that I have taken up too much space doting, I will get to the point..in one of those emails I asked Mr. Faulkner what algorithms he uses to downconvert/dither. (I use POW-R 3 type 3 and R8 Brain Pro SRC) He responded and made me aware of his "Faulkner Downsample" method , which I of course rushed to try out. I havent listened to it enough to compare(my PC crashed/died the day after I installed it..I just finished building my new Intel Machine(bye AMD!)) but learning new things is always a draw to me...maybe someone else will find it interesting.

In depth info on the method can be found Here and the application along with  technical Documentation can be found HERE

More audio-related applications can be found Right Here

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Faulkner Downsample(new Decimation/Downsampling method.)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 12:07:31 AM »
Interesting.  I have downloaded the file and will check it out soon.  Thanks.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 08:07:01 PM »
thanks Teddy, this does seem very interesting.  maybe I'll record my next show at 24/88.2 (instead of 24/96) so I can give this a whirl...

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 09:19:01 PM »
no problem Jason. Let me(and us) know how it works for you
thanks Teddy, this does seem very interesting.  maybe I'll record my next show at 24/88.2 (instead of 24/96) so I can give this a whirl...

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 02:16:18 PM »

Interesting...   Though I think the stereophile article oversimplified the other resamplers currently in use.   And this final comment in the article is a little troubling:

It will never work with source material having energetic high-frequency content, rock cymbals, foe example—the aliasing would be unacceptable—but for a range of other musical forms, it could be just the ticket. I wonder if anyone else has the guts to do as Tony Faulkner has done: stand digital etiquette on its ear in the cause of improved sound.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com