Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro Headphones - my review  (Read 2098 times)

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro Headphones - my review
« on: August 16, 2006, 10:12:53 AM »
Manufacturers website:  [showUID]=44&tx_sbproductdatabase_pi1[showUid][backPID]=68&cHash=8a2dce0c1a]http://www.beyerdynamic.com/cms/Headphones.68.0.html?&L=1&tx_sbproductdatabase_pi1[showUid][showUID]=44&tx_sbproductdatabase_pi1[showUid][backPID]=68&cHash=8a2dce0c1a

Price paid: $174.99

I picked a pair of these phones up from Guitar Center for a reasonable price yesterday with a bit of hesitancy but I've been impressed with the sound quality so far.  I'd say that the sound of the phones is very neutral if not a tad bright.  The bass response was tight and accurate in every test I did, the specs say they'll go down to 5Hz.  The phones ability to recreate even the smallest transient details of recordings is where they really shined to my ears.  Instrument definition and placement are brought to life from classical recordings, something my Sennheisers were completely incapable of.  So in short, the sound is rich, smooth and detailed without any low end bloating but the highs are a bit brighter than flat.  Compared to my B&W speakers I think the phones are less neutral sounding, but they still maintain a very natural and realistic sound quality.  I think these are a fine set of cans for any sort of recording applications since they offer a good deal of isolation from noise and are capable of handling any frequency you can throw at them.  Oh yeah, they're constructed with a sturdy metal band instead of plastic and the muffs are very comfortable.  I think they were worth the price since they'll be getting alot of use when I can't have speakers blasting.  I HOPE once they're broken in the highs will approach a more neutral sound, but I doubt it will happen. :P
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
Re: Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro Headphones - my review
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 02:02:18 PM »
Cool deal.  I used to own the older 770-250, those were bass monsters (not necessarily in a bad way).  What source are they plugged into?  If you don't have an amp for them, maybe you should look into a cheap, portable solution.  The right combo may help smoothen those highs (tubes maybe?).
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 11:57:55 PM »
I've just been running them from my Kenwood surround reciever so far, so maybe you're right.  I've got too much other shit to invest in before I can justify spending a couple gs on more stereo gear.  I will say that these headphones are a suitable replacement for surround sound when people are sleeping, but they are sensitive enough that you hear alot of clothing noise from movies...unless everything is ADR. :P

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 09:08:38 AM »
I've just been running them from my Kenwood surround reciever so far, so maybe you're right.  I've got too much other shit to invest in before I can justify spending a couple gs on more stereo gear.  I will say that these headphones are a suitable replacement for surround sound when people are sleeping, but they are sensitive enough that you hear alot of clothing noise from movies...unless everything is ADR. :P

There's nothing freakier than watching Return of the living dead with a pair of headphones late at night. 
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 02:05:28 AM »
After being broken in via a ton of use the DT770s are not bright anymore.  I did also switch to a Seque Dogstar extension cable but I think it's mainly just the phones being broken in that has effected the overall sound.  Much less harsh and more pleasant to listen to.  My complaint though is that the cups become uncomfortable after wearing them for a couple of hours, but that might just be me.  I'd say I'm pleased with the overall sound quality though, for the price they're great.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com