Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My New 12" Baffle  (Read 4546 times)

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
My New 12" Baffle
« on: January 14, 2018, 03:23:58 PM »
I've been running small 8" and 6" baffles for a long time.  I tried to run my Senn MKE2002 bridged omni binaural mic pair on the small 8" baffle, but, it was an awkward fit at best.  So, I've been thinking about building a new baffle.

12" baffle, rigged for both my DPA4060 pair, and, the MKE2002 pair.
And, let me be the first to point out that there is nothing quite like a photo to show that you still need to adjust things a bit.
Anyway,... you get the idea.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: My New 12" Baffle
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 03:42:45 PM »
What are the materials?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

mfrench

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 03:52:04 PM »
12" bamboo embroidery hoop (I'd go with plastic next time, as the connecting point is beefier (live and learn).
Foam kneeling pad foam cut to the diamter of an LP, perfect snug fit. I like the fluid-like density of this memory foam-like product.
The stand mount is a 3/8" fender washer, with a 3/8-16 thread rod connecting ferrule to attach to mic stand, and, 3/8-16 extension for a T-Bar across the top. The extension is just tall enough to thread a t-bar onto, and stops just as it taps the baffle ring.
My cross bars are wood dowels the diameter to fit the pencil eraser cap mic clips. They pass through the baffle via cable tie anchors that have adhesive backing on them. The mounting tabs keep the dowel held firmly, and keep the foam from getting destroyed.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 01:40:59 PM »
Nice looking disk baffle.  Very clean, professional appearance.  I like the construction method using the hoop to secure the single thick layer of dense foam kneeling-pad damping material, rather than laminating thinner sheeps of damping materials to a rigid center disk.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

mfrench

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 03:00:21 PM »
Thanks, Lee

One thing I have yet to do, and that I've done on the other baffles, is to pin the baffle material to the frame.  I drill small holes around the compass points, and use long ball head sewing pins that I bag from Sarges kit; all black pins except for one red one facing forward. It helps a lot in keeping the material centered.

But, like I said,.. and this is silly since its a day old,.. I'd suggest the plastic frames as opposed to this bamboo, as the plastic has a beefier arrangement to close the loop. I saw metal closures with the bamboo frame, and, figured that was better. But compared to the plastic frame of my battle hardened 8" baffle, I'm guessing that the bamboo one will need to be replaced. c'est la vie.

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 12:51:23 PM »
I should make a disk for my MK5's.  Links to source materials?  Michaels?  I can cut a rectangular notch and stick my unused Vark Bar or Schoeps Bar though it and bet it would work perfectly. 
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

mfrench

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 08:45:15 PM »
I got my bamboo hoop at Michaels.  Inadequate connector, unless somehow extra support applied; I used zip-ties for the time being. I have them above and below my connecting stanchion (not shown in pics though, as this has evolved).
The Bamboo hoop was cheap, at around $5
I found a heavy duty plastic hoop, with a much heavier connecting point at Hobby Lobby for something like $22. I liked its build far better, but its price had me finding comfort in $5 funkiness with zip ties for a bit longer.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:47:00 PM by Moke »

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 01:55:41 AM »
I got my bamboo hoop at Michaels.  Inadequate connector, unless somehow extra support applied; I used zip-ties for the time being. I have them above and below my connecting stanchion (not shown in pics though, as this has evolved).
The Bamboo hoop was cheap, at around $5
I found a heavy duty plastic hoop, with a much heavier connecting point at Hobby Lobby for something like $22. I liked its build far better, but its price had me finding comfort in $5 funkiness with zip ties for a bit longer.

And the source of the pad?
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700

mfrench

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 05:40:07 AM »
It is a kneeling pad from the hardware store. I traced the hoop to the foam pad, and cut it with a serrated steak knife.

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 09:13:09 AM »
It is a kneeling pad from the hardware store. I traced the hoop to the foam pad, and cut it with a serrated steak knife.

You are a lot more brave than I am.  I know that I would cut myself wide open trying something like that.  LOL
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 01:27:12 PM by rigpimp »

mfrench

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 09:35:00 AM »
work slowly - cut away from yourself.
I tried it with a jig saw, but, it just started wiggling like jello, and blurred the line. So, out came the steak knife. It worked well enough

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 09:44:27 AM »

Mike have you ever attached a threaded mount to any of your baffles so that you can attach the baffle to your stand using that threaded mount? 
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

mfrench

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 10:23:38 AM »
My mounting scheme is all about mounting to the stand. And, even includes a mounting stanchion for another set above it.
i suck with a camera, so bear with me,...

In the first image, IMG018, is my original mount scheme.  It is a fender washer (wider diameter washer) that is drilled so that the closure point screw of the hoop passes through the washer. The hoop closure screw is then tightened down onto the washer. This creates a perpndicular mounting point attached to the hoop. THis is early in the devlopment of my baffles, and has since evolved to include the second mounting point.

I use a pair of thread rod connector ferrules to create my mount.  I have on on either side of the washer.  I pass a section of thread rod through one entirely, and, then into the lower one, only partially.  This creates a female stand mounting thread set.

In this second image, you can see the second mounting stanchion that allows for a second array to be mounted above the baffle. You can also see the same in the OP images.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 10:43:28 AM »
A non-toothed bandsaw (smooth blade band) would be the prefered way to cut that kind of squishy pad material, but who has access to one of those?
An electric carving knife works well for seat cushion foam, and would probably work well if you have one.
A bread-slicing knife is more or less the manual equivalent, similarly serrated like a steak knife, only larger and straight-bladed.

I've used with a razor knife - the sectional snap-off blade type, fully extended to get a long enough blade.  The non-serrated blade makes for a very clean cut but one problem is that the blade is often not really long enough.  Be careful if doing this!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 10:53:16 AM »
My mounting scheme is all about mounting to the stand. And, even includes a mounting stanchion for another set above it.
i suck with a camera, so bear with me,...

In the first image, IMG018, is my original mount scheme.  It is a fender washer (wider diameter washer) that is drilled so that the closure point screw of the hoop passes through the washer. The hoop closure screw is then tightened down onto the washer. This creates a perpndicular mounting point attached to the hoop. THis is early in the devlopment of my baffles, and has since evolved to include the second mounting point.

I use a pair of thread rod connector ferrules to create my mount.  I have on on either side of the washer.  I pass a section of thread rod through one entirely, and, then into the lower one, only partially.  This creates a female stand mounting thread set.

In this second image, you can see the second mounting stanchion that allows for a second array to be mounted above the baffle. You can also see the same in the OP images.
^^
Thanks for the explanation Mike!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 10:55:08 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com