Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Toshiba 3960 Mods  (Read 7887 times)

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Toshiba 3960 Mods
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2004, 04:44:48 PM »
I am not aware of any bad cables with the exception of one that I sent to Trey Woodruff, and promtly gave him all of his money back.   You can ask him if you would like, I am sure he can verify.  I know it is a big deal, yet it had nothing at all to do with soldering so I am not sure why it is anyone's issue but my own? ???
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

jpschust

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2004, 04:53:18 PM »
I am not aware of any bad cables with the exception of one that I sent to Trey Woodruff, and promtly gave him all of his money back.   You can ask him if you would like, I am sure he can verify.  I know it is a big deal, yet it had nothing at all to do with soldering so I am not sure why it is anyone's issue but my own? ???

there was a report of you making xlrs for someone (caymanreview maybe, it has been a bit but i can dig up the thread if you really want) and they were full of noise from bad soldering.

when you offer soldering advice after making a major mistake or 2 destroying thousands of dollars worth of gear it is a big deal and it becomes everyone's issue when you do it here.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2004, 04:59:49 PM »
I can sympathize.  On another board, I gave some incorrect advice regarding butt plugs and it was a long time before the affected people forgave me.  I spent years having to meticulously detail references to back up my statements. 

Actually, I just made all that up.  I have never given bad butt plug advice.

haha, +t for making me laugh my ass off.

i too am just a bystander, but i'd like to offer a little advice.
Daryan, i have no idea who you are, you've never screwed me over nor have you did me any wrong.  as far as i know, i've never -t'd you, infact i think once i even +t'd you cuz you helped me out on some other issue.  but at this stage in the game, you've pissed a lot of people off and it doesn't look like they're going to forgive you.  my advice, be nice to people, and don't offer to help if you really can't help.  in this situation, those webby's are really handy, so i think you're ok.  i dunno, bridges have been burnt, but you can always build new ones.

and that was my deep thought of the day.

i see best buy has the 3960 but no 4960.  bastards!

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2004, 06:04:55 PM »
It was my mistake, and my gear, I guess I still don't get it and as I said, it had nothing to do with soldering.  And, just for arguement's sake, the damage was more like 125 bucks to Gary at apogee.  Dustin and I are quite close for having never met, so I surely hope he would have said something to me if something was bad...

Hope the links help.  You can find the 4960 on froogle for 112.00 shipped I think it was.  I thought I was helping... ???
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2004, 08:43:55 PM »
FUCKING BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM, BITCH!
you can't excape the

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2004, 08:55:25 PM »

there was a report of you making xlrs for someone (caymanreview maybe, it has been a bit but i can dig up the thread if you really want) and they were full of noise from bad soldering.

when you offer soldering advice after making a major mistake or 2 destroying thousands of dollars worth of gear it is a big deal and it becomes everyone's issue when you do it here.

i dont believe it was me. a looong time ago i bought some blue kiwi cables (2 summers ago) from someone (no idea who) and they had a cold solder joint. but that wasnt anyones fault neccessarily. i had used them a few times before i noticed problems

jpschust

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2004, 09:20:04 PM »
ok ill need to figure out who it was, like i said i wasnt sure, so ill find the thread later tonight.  still at work.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2004, 09:55:14 PM »
It was my mistake, and my gear, I guess I still don't get it and as I said, it had nothing to do with soldering.  And, just for arguement's sake, the damage was more like 125 bucks to Gary at apogee.  Dustin and I are quite close for having never met, so I surely hope he would have said something to me if something was bad...

Hope the links help.  You can find the 4960 on froogle for 112.00 shipped I think it was.  I thought I was helping... ???
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2004, 09:59:04 PM »
ok ill need to figure out who it was, like i said i wasnt sure, so ill find the thread later tonight.  still at work.

NP!

Online Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2004, 09:10:14 AM »
i see best buy has the 3960 but no 4960.  bastards!

I have a practically brand new 4960 that I would sell for $100 shipped.  I only played one DVD-A in it.  I bought it to mess with the tweaks, but just don't have the time.

-Craig.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

jpschust

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2004, 09:51:23 AM »

NP!

i need to push off this search til the weekend, i'm busy with work, though i think my point has been made.

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2004, 10:18:54 AM »

NP!

i need to push off this search til the weekend, i'm busy with work, though i think my point has been made.

i see your point. but truthfully im not worried about it. there may be others who are i guess. i ony buy homebrewed cables from one person these days ;)

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2004, 10:21:55 AM »
i bought some purple canare cables with right angle neutric connectors from daryan. i went through 2 shows that are now unlistenable because there was noise on of the channels and/or interemittant cut-outs in each show. turns out there was a short on the soldering of the cables to the connectors. i opened up the connector and couldnt believe what i saw.  it was a mess in there. it looked like a blind person had soldered the connections. i had to resolder the cables myself and added heat shrink wrap, and now they work fine.

not condemning anyone here...it was a lesson learned. and in retrospect it helped me to learn about xlr cable making, having only made 1/4" cables for my guitars before. i have made a few more sets of xlr cables since from the knowledge i gained repairing these cables.
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

jpschust

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2004, 10:23:21 AM »
thanks for not making me search +T :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.212 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com