Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anchoring stands outdoors  (Read 3294 times)

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Poohbah!
Anchoring stands outdoors
« on: July 23, 2008, 10:30:30 AM »
I just bought some tent stakes to secure my stand outdoors from being knocked over (very cheap at Walmart). I'm not worried about it being blown over because if the wind is that strong, I wont be recording. Anyway, I also read a comment by somebody about duck taping their stand to the ground. That doesn't seem like it would work all that good on dirt/grass. How do you secure your stand outdoors? Do you just use tent pegs on the feet of the stand or do you use some sort of guy-wire rig? Hmmm ... maybe barb wire would keep the wookies away! Do you ever secure your stand to the security fence around the sound booth?
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
Re: Anchoring stands outdoors
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 10:35:46 AM »
If you are fearful of the stand getting knocked over, you could always buy a small auger style stake and then bungee/velcro strap your stand to it.

Offline Corbin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 10:38:57 AM »
6 stakes and 3 bungees

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 10:39:52 AM »
If you are fearful of the stand getting knocked over, you could always buy a small auger style stake and then bungee/velcro strap your stand to it.

Like those stakes to leash dogs to?
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 10:45:58 AM »
2 tent stakes and 1 piece of rope from clothesline about 3 feet long or so.
I plant on stake on one end wrap the rope around the stand and plant the other stake on the other end.
I carry a modest 14 oz or so hammer to drive them down in.
Haven't had an issue with the wind yet with a nice golf umbrella on the top to boot.
Other guys I know carry sandbags with them and that works really well also.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 10:53:13 AM »
my vote is for the single semi-hefty auger type stake and two bungees..   viola!
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 11:16:37 AM »

This is what I do and it works great.  It's super secure, the stand would have to break before it fell over.  It's very easy to screw a single auger in at the center of the stand and secure to the base though the leg cross bracing.

I got the auger-stake from Walmart for $2-3. Came in a pack of two in the camping section marked as 'heavy-duty stakes'. It's a chromed rod formed into a spiral 'auger' screw section at the bottom and a bent triangular handle on top with a ring at the center to attach a line.  I use a sleeping bag compression strap style polyester webbing strap with a plastic cinch on it to secure the stand to the stake.. snug it down and the thing doesn't budge as if it's set in concrete - for that reason I much prefer a non-stretching cinch over a bungee.

I started doing this for hoisting heavy TLs on a custom stainless vert bar for bluegrass fests (stand between makeshift rows of folding chair seating style venues).  The mics and bar were so top heavy I was concerned just setting the rig up on my concrete patio in the back yard.  With the auger tie-down I'm comfortable waking away now without fear of a drunk grabbing the stand for support while navigating the row and sending Maxwell's silver hammer down on someone's head.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 11:26:49 AM »
I carry a few empty bags that I could use for sand bags too, in case I can't use the auger.  But I'm not going to lug the sand or shot for them.  If indoors I'd either go the sandbag route or clamp the stand to something.  I have a telescoping extension with a clamp on both ends that can make a strong horizontal connection to a rail, seat, another stand, etc.  That can also come in handy to connect two stands to make passing between them much less attractive.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 11:33:40 AM »

This is what I do and it works great.  It's super secure, the stand would have to break before it fell over.  It's very easy to screw a single auger in at the center of the stand and secure to the base though the leg cross bracing.

I got the auger-stake from Walmart for $2-3. Came in a pack of two in the camping section marked as 'heavy-duty stakes'. It's a chromed rod formed into a spiral 'auger' screw section at the bottom and a bent triangular handle on top with a ring at the center to attach a line.  I use a sleeping bag compression strap style polyester webbing strap with a plastic cinch on it to secure the stand to the stake.. snug it down and the thing doesn't budge as if it's set in concrete - for that reason I much prefer a non-stretching cinch over a bungee.

I started doing this for hoisting heavy TLs on a custom stainless vert bar for bluegrass fests (stand between makeshift rows of folding chair seating style venues).  The mics and bar were so top heavy I was concerned just setting the rig up on my concrete patio in the back yard.  With the auger tie-down I'm comfortable waking away now without fear of a drunk grabbing the stand for support while navigating the row and sending Maxwell's silver hammer down on someone's head.

I think I'm going to go with this idea. It eliminates the problem of anyone getting tangled up in guy-wires, bungees, etc. I'll probably carry a couple of bungees too because they are so handy and you have to be able to improvise at times.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 11:36:24 AM »
I have a telescoping extension with a clamp on both ends that can make a strong horizontal connection to a rail, seat, another stand, etc. 

Where did you get that?

That can also come in handy to connect two stands to make passing between them much less attractive.

LIMBO!!!
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 12:17:59 PM »
I have a telescoping extension with a clamp on both ends that can make a strong horizontal connection to a rail, seat, another stand, etc. 

Where did you get that?

Adorama

2 of their pro clamps and a short bogen telescoping bar.  Mine came from a short 19"-33" lightstand kit which includes a separate tripod foot which I originally bought as a short low-profile stand. I think you can also buy just the telescoping bar.

The clamps are a bit heavy, I don't always bring them if I know the situation.  I was so loaded down riding a bike in last spring with two folding chairs, 2 stands, gearbag and daypack that I am seriously considering a cart!

Offline Əkoostikal

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • One of these days....
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 12:25:59 PM »
BONGWATER via Etree:

"Phil Keeps on growing, never even slowing, never really knowing all of the minds he's really blowing!!!!!"

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 01:11:22 PM »
 I was so loaded down riding a bike in last spring with two folding chairs, 2 stands, gearbag and daypack that I am seriously considering a cart!

I've been debating this as well. Most of my outdoor recording has been (and will be) at the Spirit of the Suwanee. I usually camp with friends (the Helen Hilton) back by the stables which is a fair ways from the stages if they don't have the back gate open. Since I'm kind of gimpy and my camp mates usually have golf carts, I can get a ride back and forth. But even so at last year's Bear Creek Fest it was a bit awkward carrying just a backpack, a collapsible stool and a stand. I was thinking of maybe hunting down a used golf bag cart that maybe I could trail behind the golf cart but maybe would still be allowed in at the concert hall when needed.

At Bear Creek I was able to leave my gear at the Hittin' The Note booth when I needed to but sadly Bill Ector who ran that booth died a short while ago. I don't know what the situation will be at that booth in the future. Some of my camp mates at the Hilton also worked the booth so maybe it will still be a drop-off point for me.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 01:17:03 PM »
Photo above is the one.  Works great in the Suwanee dirt.

Same deal here, just substitute bike for golf cart.  There was a fellow there a few years back with a wheeled recording cooler, but said it was a hassle to talk it though the gate each time.  Always lots of kid wagons.

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 01:29:13 PM »
I use three tent stakes and two bungee cords. Two stand legs in front I put a stake on the side of leg and one stake for the back leg. Then I attach a bungee cord to one front leg stake and wrap the cord a few times around the middle post of my stand and attach the other end to the other front stake. I do the same thing and attach both ends to the back stake. I also found using the Bogen stand shoes helps keep the stand upright.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com