Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Telinga EM23-PIP, very low noise, but musical?  (Read 3891 times)

Offline Justinasia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Telinga EM23-PIP, very low noise, but musical?
« on: January 31, 2009, 01:20:03 PM »
I have come across this mic from the nature recordist, the "Telinga EM23-PIP". Is has low noise, at only 14dB(A). And it is small:
http://www.telinga.com/gallery/omnidirectional_microphones.htm

Due to its low noise, they really seem to like it. I also would like low noise mics as I want to gather recordings of native flutes and voice in the field, all un-amplified. I was thinking of the DPA 4060 but have been worrying about the noise levels. Does anyone have any experience with Telinga mics? Are they good for recording acoustic music? I want low noise but I must have good sound.

Thanks
Justin

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Telinga EM23-PIP, very low noise, but musical?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 02:23:18 PM »
Em23 (made by Primo mic out of Singapore) is the same as the Nak (omni) capsule.
It looks like they've put their own electronics (FET and a couple of resistors) behind it.

What is the price on this?
I wonder if you could get the same effect by modifying a Nak yourself?  They *may* use different electronics, but the same capsule, I believe.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Telinga EM23-PIP, very low noise, but musical?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 03:26:25 PM »
These Telinga EM23 are about $520/pair. The capsules are the Primo EM23 (there is also EM21, a cardioid) and they are about $55 from them. I got a schematic from Klas Strandberg of Telinga. They seems to be intended for lower level work, like nature recordings or acoustic imstruments. Their noise level is low compared to a standard Nakamichi with the same capsules. The balancing output transformer of the Nakamichis drop their output level quite a bit and it put some demands on the mic preamp. Removing the transformer gives a lower noise floor, 5-8dB seems to be common. EM23 is a bit rolled-off above 10 kHz but as it is an omni capsule, bass is extended even at a distant pickup. I have several schematics that seems to work with EM23/EM21.

Roger   

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com