Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Umbrellas?  (Read 5823 times)

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Umbrellas?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 01:48:55 PM »
Wow guns a blazin guys.

I'm not in any way disparaging Rycote or their products. 

From prior experience I felt it safe to assume that if the OP is looking for a baby umbrella (which is extremely common in most tapers sections) that he wouldn't be looking for a product 7x the price (Rycote).   Secondly the 'Duck' specifically appears to need a dead rat type of windshield.  I'm having trouble seeing how that works with most of the common stereo configurations/setups around here?

Again very nice and professional products.  Possibly not the right application for most folks.

You may trust an unbrella with your mics, but when a strong gust of wind comes and messes it up, then what do you do?

If i've got an umbrella open on top of my stand you can be sure i've got it and the stand anchored properly.   Not rocket science there.  Now being completely wook proof?  Not so much.   ;D

Personally, I'll put some condoms on my mics, stick them in a rycote and fly them just like that in a mist or light rain, more wind and rain, then comes exterior treatment.  To be fair in the discussion, I never tried the duck....

Then i'd say it safe to say that you are in a very small minority that goes to those lengths around here.   In my experiences if the weather was so bad that I needed to do all of what you do then most likely venue has canceled or postponed the show i'm at and my gear it at the very least inside a plastic trashbag or better yet in the car.   

Offline midside

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 02:46:32 PM »
No guns blazing, but you did say:

"Nice idea.  Absolutely wrong product."

I thought that was a little forceful of a comment considering that these products are made for those exact situations....and...stereo rycote options do exist.  But, you are right, it is much more expensive and the OP did ask about umbrellas..so, sorry about hijacking here.

One other thing though, you said this:

"...a very small minority that goes to those lengths around here.   In my experiences if the weather was so bad that I needed to do all of what you do then most likely venue has canceled or postponed..."

These are not great lengths or for extreme weather conditions.  Actually, I find this technique much easier than using an umbrella and it works perfect for light mists.  No extra clamps, no umbrella, small, slick and so on.  Good enough for hollywood, good enough for me :)

Offline DLay

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • If it has to be loud to be good, it isn't
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 02:59:53 PM »

Personally, I'll put some condoms on my mics, stick them in a rycote and fly them just like that in a mist or light rain, more wind and rain, then comes exterior treatment.  To be fair in the discussion, I never tried the duck....

I've used condoms on mics before as well (SM57 in a toilet while flushing for some bizarre sound design and my SDCs at an outdoors venue.) Looked goofy but was pleased with the results. Also, these condoms were NON LUBRICATED, I hope that goes without saying....just incase someone else is getting ideas. Thought Id add my two cents.
Beyerdynamic MC930 > Sound Devices 702t

Offline midside

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 03:03:35 PM »
yeah, for sure...NO LUBE!

BTW, I can't get any no lube condoms locally, but I can get little 'finger condoms' which are the perfect size for compact mics....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com