Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: budget stealth mic recommendations?  (Read 2340 times)

Offline bearcobb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • neumann crew
    • my list
budget stealth mic recommendations?
« on: February 03, 2005, 10:43:54 PM »
hey now-

ive tried stealthing a few times over 2 years ago, mostly for tori amos shows. all i ran were a pair of lavaliers that i bought at radio shack. they were set right together but had seperate wires so i split them about halfway and then taped them to the outside of the frame of my glasses right at the hinge. they featured a battery box powered by watch batteries and all i did was run it straight into my d8. well on 2 of the occasions the results were ok and listenable, but other occasions (especially the springsteen arena show) they just sounded too boomy and somewhat oversaturated even though the levels were relatively conservative (not really peaking above -6)...

so now tori is doing a solo tour in april and i was considering giving stealthing another shot but i figured it would be good to invest in a better pair of mics that were more specifically designed for the job. the thing is i dont want to spend more than $200 on the mics/powering/taxes/shipping combined. i know i cant get any dpa's (i wish!) but im sure i can find something that would be at least a step up from a pair of radio shack mics. i would like to keep the powering as small as possible too as i dont want to be carrying more than a fannypack as thats my usual method of transport/recording. and i also plan on taping from my glasses again as well.

based on that got any suggestions? or really should i stick to the nonstealthing gigs? as honestly i wouldnt be using them nearly as much as my full rig and stealthing isnt exactly fun imho...

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Needs to get out more...
  • Real men wear kilts.
Re: budget stealth mic recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 10:53:40 PM »
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline bearcobb

• Taperssection Newbie
  • neumann crew
    • my list
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 06:20:35 AM »
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=35068.0

shameless plug....  ;D

very cool...just wondering how low reasonable is to you! as ive heard many decent tapes from coresound mics, both the binaurals and the cards.

Offline dhora

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 03:09:39 AM »
Looks like Soundprofessionals got some mics back in stock.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category/120/mics

I just picked up some SP-CMC-2's.  Haven't had a chance to test them in the field yet, but I've heard good things. The CMC-4's are also nice from my listening experience.
AT853h,o, AT831c > AT831 (SP-CMC-2) > SP-SPSB-1 > JB3
Shows on the Archive: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Dave%20Hora%22

thierryhenry

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 06:29:12 PM »
Definitely go with the 2's, great sound for a great price.

Offline musicsherlock

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Team Upstate New York
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 08:43:47 AM »
shameless plug pt. 2

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=35838.0

Go with the CSB's...they've got plenty of bass...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com