Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stay SS or go Tube???  (Read 7324 times)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Stay SS or go Tube???
« on: May 22, 2008, 02:27:04 PM »
Right now I've got a B&K ST-140.  One of the classics.  Love this amp, got it for about $100 as it was "broken" on one channel.  A $0.39 fuse later it was fixed and Lauren, my neighbor, felt ripped-off...

But now, I'm really curious about a Tube Stereo Amp.

Would you go Tube or stay SS?  And why?  Is it worth the expense?  And what would you recommend in the $500 range.

Right now, I'm eying a Jolida, or getting an older Vintage reworked.  My father told me he used to have a Bogen that was really nice.  Of course that was before he went SS with his current stereo, a 35yo Sansui...

Is there anybody here that rebuilds Tube Amps??? 

Thanks,

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Jammin72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Stay SS or go Tube???
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 05:20:45 PM »
mmmm.... Tooob.  Though it's tough for shows to get the watts you want for the $$ you wish to spend.  Well I guess that depends on your listening habits.  ;)

Yes, but what do you HEAR?

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 05:25:08 PM »
to get the watts you want for the $$ you wish to spend.

Yeah, that's what holding me back.  Is it worth it to go Tube for that much more money???

T
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 06:14:10 PM »
Ya know it's all really about what you listen for, the tone that makes you happy, and the % of what you're listening to.  There's little doubt that tubes will throw up a sound stage that is simply amazing for considerably less than their solid state compadres.  They also offer a warm slightly viscous presentation, you know that "liquid" term that everyone likes to throw around.  Some folks find this pleasing and involving while others consider it colored.  What's hard to do with tube amplifiers at lower price points is present the bass as effectively as we would like in many cases.  What's interesting to me though is that this is kind of the perspective we get with audience concert recordings anyway.  As a whole most engineers don't tame this beast at the shows and we end up with this type of sound at the concerts we attend, especially the rock shows.  For the bluegrass or orchestral recordings... not so much.  So what is bothersome for the folks trying to get absolute resolution in the low end for studio works or more audiophile oriented recordings seems to be only a shade of a color for our two channel PA reproductions.  The lines are being blurred a bit as folks change up technologies, introduce hybrids, start working with bit stream amplification etc... but this seems to be a general rule for the difference.

Personally... I love it, I haven't had the $$ to invest in the type of rig I would like simply because I enjoy listening at very loud levels, I've had to stay with bang/$$ solid state gear. To me it's like the difference between listening to George or Mikey... we know who the tube guy is there.   ;D  It's not that dramatic but you get the point.  Is it OK to fuzzy the edges to get a feel that there's really no other way to produce.   What I would really like to put together would be Source->Crossover->Mid-Highs to Tube and Low end to Separate solid state stereo amp.  Take the best of both worlds.

As always in the end... YMMV, take a spin and see how your neurons behave.  Pick up a nice piece of used gear that you know keeps it's resale value and stays a bit in demand, try it out, if you start smiling really big keep it, if not... offload it with little or no loss outside of shipping.

to get the watts you want for the $$ you wish to spend.

Yeah, that's what holding me back.  Is it worth it to go Tube for that much more money???

T

« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 06:15:43 PM by Jammin72 »

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 06:22:40 PM »
George or Mikey...

Who???

Thanks for the thoughts...

Terry

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »
I'm going to throw out something a little twisted:  why choose when you can have both?

Get something with EL34 goodness for the top, use your ST-140 on the bottom, then sit back and enjoy a bi-amped eargasm.

In your price range you can get a nice amp with enough power to mate with the B&K. You don't need as much power upstairs.  I have 70W tube paired with 120W SS and they have similar gain structure so mate very well. 

(assuming your speakers have the terminals for biamping)
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 10:54:26 PM »

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 08:14:15 AM »
check out Dared's line.
ebay is a good source for research on them.  agon for finding a used one.
always buy used !!
there were a couple pairs of vp20's on agon yesterday.  under $600. 
20w of monoblock..., which offers more current than a 20w "stereo" setup (typically).
they are real purdy too....

http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-New-Dared-MP-15-KT88-tube-SET-integrated-amp_W0QQitemZ140235173870QQihZ004QQcategoryZ3280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
thats a good deal too !

also, depending on your speakers efficiency..., 20+ tube watts gets pretty darn loud.

there is also the "hybrid" approach...which i'm a fan of.  this is a nice middle ground for when you can't buck up for 75+w of tube amplification.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 08:17:46 AM by Nick's Picks »

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 10:07:53 AM »

Another popular path that can have great results is to use a tube preamp for texture and boost these results cleanly with a solid state poweramp.

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 10:27:36 AM »

Another popular path that can have great results is to use a tube preamp for texture and boost these results cleanly with a solid state poweramp.

Interesting...

Anybody have any experience with one of these:  JOLIDA JD 102B

Thanks again for the advise!

Terry

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 12:16:45 PM »

Interesting...

Anybody have any experience with one of these:  JOLIDA JD 102B

Thanks again for the advise!

Terry

Yup, I have one. It was my first tube amp for my playback system (use tube guitar amps, though). It's a great little amp. I have pretty highly efficient speakers, and don't listen at too high of a volume, so the low wattage is not a problem for me.

In general, I'm listening with the volume control around 9 o'clock for studio recordings, maybe 11 o'clock for live recordings. The sound is sweet, as are most EL84 based amps in my opinion.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 10:35:44 PM »
mmmm.... Tooob.  Though it's tough for shows to get the watts you want for the $$ you wish to spend.  Well I guess that depends on your listening habits.  ;)

not sure what you mean

my tube amp is 30wpc and it gets LOUD at 11am on the dial, I've never even pushed it past noon

all watts are not created equal :)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 08:29:33 AM »
I am going back to tubes in my home system. I don't feel there is anything that comes close to a tube system. There is such a huge soundstage & incredible presence with tubes that I have not been able to recreate with solid state. There are some decent choices for $500, sure there won't be much power but there is a real difference in tube watts vs. solid state watts. I say you go for it, worse comes to worse you can sell the amp & get something else. Experiment, have fun, thats what this hobby is supposed to be about anyway.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline phreshie

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 12:01:04 AM »
I have a Hafler XL 600 with a Cary SLP98 tube pre - I def notice a difference from SS Adcom's I had before. I'd like to go all tube someday.
Retired.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com