Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need new headphones...  (Read 10316 times)

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Need new headphones...
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 07:48:31 PM »
I have a pair of sr225s that I hardly use anymore, let me know if you want to try them out or what not. They have a problem in that sounds drops out left ear side sporadically, I'm sure it just a loose connection that grado said they would fix free but that requires effort on my part
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2006, 07:51:11 PM »
I got a pair of HD600's just before the holidays. I couldn't be happier with them. I also got a dc-vibe, www.go-vibe.com to drive them. Don't forget about an amp if you buy high impedence cans like the HD580's. I'm planning on building a PIMETA when I get the time.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2006, 07:56:50 PM »
Are you married to the idea of Closed Cans??

If you arent, my reccomendation is for the Etymotics (ER-6 or ER-4). I use them (I have ER-4s)both for monitoring at concerts and for general listening to my ipod. I bought my wife a pair and she loves hers as well. The level of detail is really great.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 08:54:17 PM »
the ety 4 series are a world class headphone, Imo.

personaly, I couldnt' be happier w/my $19 Senn 201s

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2006, 08:56:32 PM »
Not that I've heard the 4 series, but my ety 6 are a bit bass-shy (just in the nature of something that small) when compared to my Senn cans. I think they're wonderful for what they are and what they allow me to do. I also think their mid/highs are world class, but I'd have to argue with you about the low end reproduction.
Out of the game … for now?

RebelRebel

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2006, 09:05:50 PM »
4 have plenty of low end and everything else. ..the 4s sound better than anything i have ever heard.. I have a pair of HD600s that havent seen the light of day since I bought them.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 09:07:33 PM by Teddy »

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2006, 09:08:15 PM »
Have you compared the 4 and 6? With the 6 not outshining the Senns (except with my ipod for travel ... wonderful), I would find it hard to believe that the 4 does, unless the 4 is really that much better than the 6.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2006, 09:16:30 PM »
the 4 *is* a lot better than the 6 (in my opinion)

RebelRebel

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2006, 09:27:50 PM »
I had a pair of 6is for about a month, before I bought the 4s. (my wife has 4Ps with extended low freq. response) and the 6 pales in comparison, IMHO..From comparing the senns and etys, I hear a lot more detail in the etys...you have to really crank them..but to my ears the Etys definitely have the edge .and the noise attenuation makes them that much better.i can use them at a concert for mixing or at home for casual listening and be completely satisfied..
Have you compared the 4 and 6? With the 6 not outshining the Senns (except with my ipod for travel ... wonderful), I would find it hard to believe that the 4 does, unless the 4 is really that much better than the 6.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2006, 09:51:42 PM »
Not that I've heard the 4 series, but my ety 6 are a bit bass-shy (just in the nature of something that small) when compared to my Senn cans. I think they're wonderful for what they are and what they allow me to do. I also think their mid/highs are world class, but I'd have to argue with you about the low end reproduction.

push them deeper into your head.  you'll get plenty of bass.

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2006, 11:05:04 PM »
I have the ER-6 and I agree with Matt it is bass shy.  I've also heard the ER-4 and it is much better then the ER-6 but I'd rather have something more comfortable for at home use.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2006, 07:20:42 AM »
i'd rather have big fuckin-A speakers to sit between.
:)
headphones dont pressurize a room.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2006, 12:05:15 PM »
looking at Grado SR325's, Senn HD580's or AKG 271's. They seem to be in the same price range, give or take 50$. I don't have a headphone amp, but have this for playback: Sony CDR W33>Adcom GDA 600>Adcom GSP565>headphones???. Iv'e been using a 20 year old pair of AKG 141's and I think the drivers crapped out. Then I bought a pair of Sony's at a local Circuit City, loud but zero detail. Thanks.

You're going to definitely need a headphone amp for the senn's, the cans themselves are relatively cheap, you can find them new on ebay for $150 iirc.  The senn 580/600/650's are scalable in the sense that they will continuously sound better with different types of amps (in terms of synergy, solid state vs tubes and so on) and aftermarket cables.  I've never those Grado's nor the akg's but you should check out head-fi.org for reviews on them, I'm sure there's plenty info available on them.  As for the bass response on the akg 501's...its often considered on the thin side by many head-fiers and I personally find them to sound a bit metallic sounding.  The senn's have a more organic, big speaker-like sound to them that makes them very pleasing to the ear...especially with tube gear.  You don't have to break the bank on an amp, just check out head-fi for an amp that may meet your budget guidelines.

The senn's are also very comfy for long-term listening compared to Grado's which typically put my ears on fire after 30 mins of listening with even the comfy pads.  Plus, the bloody cord can be a bitch to deal with (its thick and a bit cumbersome). 
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2006, 01:00:05 PM »
looking at Grado SR325's, Senn HD580's or AKG 271's. They seem to be in the same price range, give or take 50$. I don't have a headphone amp, but have this for playback: Sony CDR W33>Adcom GDA 600>Adcom GSP565>headphones???. Iv'e been using a 20 year old pair of AKG 141's and I think the drivers crapped out. Then I bought a pair of Sony's at a local Circuit City, loud but zero detail. Thanks.

You're going to definitely need a headphone amp for the senn's, the cans themselves are relatively cheap, you can find them new on ebay for $150 iirc.  The senn 580/600/650's are scalable in the sense that they will continuously sound better with different types of amps (in terms of synergy, solid state vs tubes and so on) and aftermarket cables.  I've never those Grado's nor the akg's but you should check out head-fi.org for reviews on them, I'm sure there's plenty info available on them.  As for the bass response on the akg 501's...its often considered on the thin side by many head-fiers and I personally find them to sound a bit metallic sounding.  The senn's have a more organic, big speaker-like sound to them that makes them very pleasing to the ear...especially with tube gear.  You don't have to break the bank on an amp, just check out head-fi for an amp that may meet your budget guidelines.

The senn's are also very comfy for long-term listening compared to Grado's which typically put my ears on fire after 30 mins of listening with even the comfy pads.  Plus, the bloody cord can be a bitch to deal with (its thick and a bit cumbersome). 

I think I'm going with the Senn's. What about the HD595's? Also, whats a good amp for them, thats not too expensive. Say around 200-300. That Blueberry emotion wooden box looks pretty good <300. Thanks.

BobW

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2006, 06:58:52 PM »

My vote for Senns.
I've been using them since I was 14 when my brother gave me a pair of HD-414s for my birthday.   (+T bro !)
They've been upgraded since, but always to Senns.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com