Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Earbuds with good bass  (Read 5143 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Earbuds with good bass
« on: July 31, 2006, 09:15:03 AM »
I have the Shure E3C's and I always thought they sounded a little thin. Any hq earbuds with a better bass response?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 10:28:46 AM by ts »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: Earbuds with good bass
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 09:35:06 AM »
the etymotics (ER-7s I believe is what I have) are good...have to be seated properly int he ear, but sound much better than other earbuds I have heard

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 05:42:09 PM »
the er-6's are hugely popular around here and amazon has them cheap right now

edit: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=40489.msg928217#msg928217
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 07:38:38 PM »
The ety's are typically thought as being a bit thin in the lower frequencies.  Check on head-fi for numerous opinions on that. 

The shure's on the other hand are always thought to have a mid-bass hump making them sound more bassy.  What are your shures plugged into?  I use e2c's out of a iriver H140 and a rio karma and the bass thumps quite nicely.  Are you getting a good seal?  What kind of tips are you using?  I strictly use foamies for their comfort and good seal.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 07:51:32 PM »
the er-6's are hugely popular around here and amazon has them cheap right now

edit: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=40489.msg928217#msg928217

yeah, those, not sure where I got the ER7s from

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 08:08:20 PM »
Etymotics ER-4s are superior to the 6s in clarity and overall response. (23Db of isolation)They are more(around 250-300?) but they are well worth it. I use mine on gigs and for leisure listening. The ER_4P has an extended LF response. Not my cup of tea, but it is there..

I bought the ER-6 intially but wife has them now.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 08:11:38 PM by Teddy »

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 10:26:14 AM »
The Shure E5 is leaps and bounds ahead of all the lower Shure earbuds.  I have used the 2's, 3's, and 5's and there is no comparison. They smoked the ER-4 IMO as well.  Dual diaphragm, Great isolation and a plethora of different styles of buds to choose from (rubber, foam, ribbed, different sizes, etc) Pricey but last forever. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 10:27:45 AM by bluegrass_brad »
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline KenH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 12:30:52 PM »
I originally picked up the Etymotic ER-6P, but I was disappointed in them, primarily lack of bass and loudness.
I returned em for the ER-4P's which sound much better to these ears.  The plugs n both take some getting used to, but once you get a good seal, they're great.  I have zero regrets about spending another $100 on them over the ER-6Ps. Better specs, moresensitivity, HF anbd LF boosts, plus a nice case and a bunch of extra earpads. 

Paid $179 several weeks ago at JandR, which still has them at this price.

/Ken
retired

Offline ts

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 02:02:26 PM »
The ety's are typically thought as being a bit thin in the lower frequencies.  Check on head-fi for numerous opinions on that. 

The shure's on the other hand are always thought to have a mid-bass hump making them sound more bassy.  What are your shures plugged into?  I use e2c's out of a iriver H140 and a rio karma and the bass thumps quite nicely.  Are you getting a good seal?  What kind of tips are you using?  I strictly use foamies for their comfort and good seal.

Actually they're not as bad as I remember. Using a Headroom Airhead and an Ipod and I can live with them. The foam made a big difference.

Thanks.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 05:44:40 PM »
got my er6's today - I really like them but the only thing I have to compare them to are my stock ipod earbuds.

an AirHead amp would be a nice addition I'm sure
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

slayerrocker

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 05:43:11 PM »
Love my ER-4s.

zowie

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 01:36:45 PM »
Didn't like my ER-4S's, certainly not for the money. Sold them after a few months.
Have the cheaper Shure's now.  Eh, okay for the MP3 player, at least they were fairly cheap.
Thinking about switching over to Super.Fi Pros.
This is strictly for portable use, I use full sized phones at home.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 01:55:45 PM »
The Shure E5 is leaps and bounds ahead of all the lower Shure earbuds.  I have used the 2's, 3's, and 5's and there is no comparison. They smoked the ER-4 IMO as well.  Dual diaphragm, Great isolation and a plethora of different styles of buds to choose from (rubber, foam, ribbed, different sizes, etc) Pricey but last forever. 

Shure E4C's are the new model.  Suppose to be a big leap over the E3C's in terms of bass response and clarity.  They're priced in between the E3C and E5C.  I'm contemplating picking up a set of E4C's for my mp3 player and leave my E2Cs in my bag strictly for monitoring recordings in the field.  eBay has the E4Cs for just under $200.00 brand new, shipped, by some sellers.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=shure+e4c&category0=

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 02:00:35 PM »
spyder, shure announced a newer model, the E500 (iirc).  Check out head-fi for lots of info on it.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline ts

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 02:08:51 PM »

Shure E4C's are the new model.  Suppose to be a big leap over the E3C's in terms of bass response and clarity.  They're priced in between the E3C and E5C.  I'm contemplating picking up a set of E4C's for my mp3 player and leave my E2Cs in my bag strictly for monitoring recordings in the field.  eBay has the E4Cs for just under $200.00 brand new, shipped, by some sellers.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=shure+e4c&category0=

Dan, Good call, I ordered a pair last week. Didn't get them yet. You can check them out at ABB/Mule. My E3's got snagged by the wifey :o

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com