Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fixing A Recording With An Odd Vocal Distortion  (Read 1541 times)

Offline HighVoltage

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • All The Way Live
Fixing A Recording With An Odd Vocal Distortion
« on: January 26, 2012, 05:58:29 PM »
Earlier this week I taped a show at Tammany Hall in NYC. I used AT 943s > battery box > Tascam DR-22. I just got the DR-2D last month so haven't had much experience with it at shows yet, but I've been using these mics for nearly 5 years.

I must have had the settings on the recorder configured incorrectly as the recording came out with some distortion. Based on the sound, it sounds like the mics were coming in too hot with too much power. The levels on the recorder looked fine while recording, so it had to be coming from the source overpowered (my best guess at least).

Anyway, the distortion that came up on the recording was different than I have usually seen on recordings before. It's still a very clean and great sounding recording, but the vocals have some crackling at times (see the sample link below).

I ran used the click/pop eliminator in Audition and it certainly helped, but didn't fully get rid of it. Any suggestions?

The band I taped is Recess, a Brooklyn-based band who combines hip-hop with jazz and a vintage indy sound. Its really great stuff and they have only done a handful of shows, so it would mean a lot to be able to clean up the recording.

Here's a sample: http://www.itsallthewaylive.net/highvoltage/recess_sample.mp3
Full recording (not a long performance, just under 25 min):  http://www.itsallthewaylive.net/highvoltage/Recess_-_Tammany_Hall_NYC_1_24_11.wav

I would love any suggestions or attempts to clean up the recording.  Thanks in advance.
www.itsallthewaylive.net

SP CMC8's > SP-SPSB1 > Archos AV500 or Tascam DR-2D
ISI-HMB1 (AT943's) > battery box > Archos AV500 or Tascam DR-2D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com