Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Clamp-aholics. The ultimate clamping and rigging team thread II

<< < (2/39) > >>

morst:

I'll put in a plug for using a safety cable, (or safety bond in UK) whenever hanging gear over people's heads or where it could crash down and hurt something if the clamp failed.
Here is a link to the safety cable used on what has become a standard stage lighting fixture, the "LEKO" which weighs a lot more than any microphone setup I've seen.

We can use their 5:1 safety ratio as a guide though 10:1 is not stupid. If your mics weigh 5 lbs with the clamp, get a "safety bond" that can hold 25 lbs and secure it running underneath the cables so it doesn't pinch them in case it needs to function.

https://www.etcconnect.com/Support/Articles/Source-Four-Safety-Cable.aspx

>This cable is a 30" long 1/8" diameter black wire rope cable with snap clamp fitted.The safety ratio of the cable is 5:1

ycoop:

--- Quote from: morst on June 11, 2018, 04:28:27 AM ---
I'll put in a plug for using a safety cable, (or safety bond in UK) whenever hanging gear over people's heads or where it could crash down and hurt something if the clamp failed.
Here is a link to the safety cable used on what has become a standard stage lighting fixture, the "LEKO" which weighs a lot more than any microphone setup I've seen.

We can use their 5:1 safety ratio as a guide though 10:1 is not stupid. If your mics weigh 5 lbs with the clamp, get a "safety bond" that can hold 25 lbs and secure it running underneath the cables so it doesn't pinch them in case it needs to function.

https://www.etcconnect.com/Support/Articles/Source-Four-Safety-Cable.aspx

>This cable is a 30" long 1/8" diameter black wire rope cable with snap clamp fitted.The safety ratio of the cable is 5:1

--- End quote ---

Thank you for this. I was concerned the entire night about the clamp failing and someone getting hurt below. Getting a safety cable rated to a much higher weight for if I attach my soon-to-arrive extension pole from a balcony.

rocksuitcase:
ycoop, I have 2 of those listed above, nothing we (amateur recordists) typically do mic/boom stand wise would require more than the 5:1 ratio unless you are running tube LD's. It looks "small" and is not very expensive, but will do the job.

rigpimp:
I have a Bogen 3373 which is the 7' light stand.  I hacked the legs a little to give it a smaller footprint which sacrifices max height as well as stability a little. 

I want to clamp my Canon Vixia XA10 onto it for a static shot.  This is gonna make it more top heavy than it already is. 

Beside lowering the stand's center of gravity and taping the thing down does anyone have any tips on how to clamp the camera to my stand?  I have Rowis and a Superclamp but cannot get the camera out far enough away from the stand, or it is at the wrong angle.  Personally, I'd prefer the former since it weighs less.

if_then_else:

--- Quote from: rigpimp on June 11, 2018, 11:37:52 AM ---I have a Bogen 3373 which is the 7' light stand.  I hacked the legs a little to give it a smaller footprint which sacrifices max height as well as stability a little. 

I want to clamp my Canon Vixia XA10 onto it for a static shot.  This is gonna make it more top heavy than it already is. 

Beside lowering the stand's center of gravity and taping the thing down does anyone have any tips on how to clamp the camera to my stand?  I have Rowis and a Superclamp but cannot get the camera out far enough away from the stand, or it is at the wrong angle.  Personally, I'd prefer the former since it weighs less.

--- End quote ---

A magic arm / friction arm like this one:

:https://www.amazon.de/TARION-Edelstahl-Gelenkarm-Videoleuchte-Mikrophon/dp/B014F6G2TM/ref=pd_aw_sbs_421_of_11?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B014F6G2TM&pd_rd_r=5c69c7db-6d8e-11e8-a420-1b90d2848b1e&pd_rd_w=KWahE&pd_rd_wg=OvpCf&pf_rd_i=mobile-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_p=8822005502690862456&pf_rd_r=R5Y1NH327ERCN36Y7RQM&pf_rd_s=mobile-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=Z0KJNVGB8JDC9S4PS2H4&th=1

I'm sure the same thing is available under a lot of different brand names.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version