Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sample: NT1-A chamber trio  (Read 1555 times)

Offline MRC01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Sample: NT1-A chamber trio
« on: January 26, 2009, 04:43:13 PM »
I recently recorded a local music event with my NT1-As into my H4 and wanted to post a sample of the results in case anyone is interested in what these mics sound like with this recorder.

Recorded in a small-medium studio (audience about 50 people, no stage) live about 15' away (2nd row of seats) dead center with a pair of Rode NT-1A mics in a 90* coincident X-Y configuration on a pole about 6' high. I recorded it to my Zoom H4 at 48k/24b. No compression, no equalization. All I did for post editing was shift the overall recording level, fade the applause and snip the tracks. For this sample, I converted to 44/16 and made the MP3 with LAME 3.98 in high qualtiy VBR mode.

To power my H4 I used an external battery pack that I built; eight rechargable AA batteries in series plugged into the power "line in". The batteries and H4 are velcroed to the mic pole, and the top of the pole has a Shure A27M dual mic holder, so this is a one-stick portable recording setup.

The sample has a touch of boxiness to the bass. If I were to change anything with this recording I'd attenuate that a bit, but it was a small room and that's close to what it really sounded like.

Since this site only allows 512kB attachments, I provided a link to the sample (2.7 MB in size):
http://mclements.net/Mike/MP3/t06-MBC.mp3

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Re: Sample: NT1-A chamber trio
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 09:06:50 PM »
The sample has a touch of boxiness to the bass. If I were to change anything with this recording I'd attenuate that a bit, but it was a small room and that's close to what it really sounded like.

Since this site only allows 512kB attachments, I provided a link to the sample (2.7 MB in size):
http://mclements.net/Mike/MP3/t06-MBC.mp3

Thanks for sharing this, yes I can hear the 'boxy' room, but as you mention, that's not the mics fault...perhaps some experimentation with placement could have improved that? Difficult to hold up the performance while you experiment :)

The bass extension is pleasing in this. Sounds great...nice performance too (the most important thing IMO ;D ).

BTW: adding a touch of reverb will lose some of that boxiness...

www.digifishmusic.com/public/sounds/TapersSection_NT1AXY_reverb.mp3

(probaly a bit heavy on the verb, but illustrating a point how it can make a room disappear).

digifish
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 10:49:23 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
Re: Sample: NT1-A chamber trio
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 09:08:21 PM »
Wow man that sounds really nice....I always wondered what these mics sounded like.....

Peace OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com