Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SD MixPre levels  (Read 3010 times)

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
SD MixPre levels
« on: December 11, 2006, 11:54:58 PM »
Just started to use my MixPre after purchasing it about a year ago (funny we sometimes buy things we never end up using!)... I connected it with my mics DPA 4052 and placed my mics about 2 feet away from my Steinway grand. I realized that the levels seem to jump very high even though I turned the dial very near to the min. I usually use my V3 with Schoeps for recording and never experience a preamp so sensitive. Can someone tell me if there is a way to reduce the sensitivity of the MixPre or it is factory set?

Another question...when looking at the peak indicators from the front panel what dBu level should I set my max in order to get the best result with this preamp?

Thanks for your help!
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: SD MixPre levels
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 01:14:28 AM »
Can someone tell me if there is a way to reduce the sensitivity of the MixPre or it is factory set?

I don't believe it's configurable. The MixPre provides 0 - 66 dB gain using the line-out (XLRs) and 0 - 52 dB gain using the tape-out (stereo-mini).

Another question...when looking at the peak indicators from the front panel what dBu level should I set my max in order to get the best result with this preamp?

Into what ADC/recorder are you running the MixPre?  I always found I liked the MP-2 sound best with as little gain as possible to still achieve my desired levels.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 01:48:40 AM »
Into what ADC/recorder are you running the MixPre?  I always found I liked the MP-2 sound best with as little gain as possible to still achieve my desired levels.

I'll be running it into my R-09. How far up do you set your MixPre meter (max dBu)? Thanks.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 03:44:42 AM »
Can someone tell me if there is a way to reduce the sensitivity of the MixPre or it is factory set?

I don't believe it's configurable. The MixPre provides 0 - 66 dB gain using the line-out (XLRs) and 0 - 52 dB gain using the tape-out (stereo-mini).

Into what ADC/recorder are you running the MixPre? I always found I liked the MP-2 sound best with as little gain as possible to still achieve my desired levels.

always use the least amount of gain as possible and run your adc/deck wide open (or as close as possible) - from my understanding that maximizes your s/n ratio - am I right on this one?
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 04:37:24 AM »
The last time I used my Mixpre (AT 943's) I had the levels set at 3 and my R-09 set at 8......That way all the gain was coming from the Mixpre.........The recording came out nice but I have to boost the levels in post......It was a pretty loud show with some heavy bass and drums....The next time I'm going to turn up the Mixpre to around 4 to 4.5...OR just turn up the R-09 a little....

Peace,
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline oleg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a proud Jew
    • you can find me here
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 04:34:58 PM »
the mix pre scale is ppm one , so  if you  want to match it to dbfs scale
the 0 dbu tone on your mixer = -20 dbfs
adjust the gain that the piks would hit the +12.+14 dbu , place the mixer  limiter on the top ( +18 dbu) to prevent your recording device overload .
THE MIX PRE AUTOMATICALLY attenuate the signal when you use phantom power for 10 db ,if it not enouth put in line pads befor the inputs .

oleg kaizerman(gebe)hollyland
kaizeroaudio-rentals -sound for film/tv sales

schoepses, gefells, sankens, sennheisers....all kind of shit ....ends with deva 16  fusion ,zfr,788, 744, hhb
http://groups.google.com/group/sellbuyexchange-film-videoaudiogear

Offline mcq

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 05:37:15 AM »
THE MIX PRE AUTOMATICALLY attenuate the signal when you use phantom power for 10 db

It depends on the serial number of the MixPre, as they removed this automatic pad a few months (years?) ago:
http://www.sounddevices.com/tech/mixpre_gain.htm

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 04:49:14 PM »
I have an R-09 and am waiting for a MixPre to arrive that I just ordered so am interested in what I am reading here.

As noted the R-09 seems to be at unity gain at a setting of 8. So if you need some attenuation, set it to something less than 8 should fix that?

digifish
- What's this knob do?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com