Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: First show ever, What am I forgetting...  (Read 9511 times)

Offline G.Kennedy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: First show ever, What am I forgetting...
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2018, 11:56:03 PM »
Thank you all for giving it a listen and all your advice. I’m very happy with how it turned out. That was the final concert of the session. So they shut down for a month. Starting in March. I’ll start taping all their rehearsals every Saturday. So I’ll have plenty of no pressure time to play with different configurations.

When  Normalizing. I did  - Select All> Effect>Normalize. Two of the tracks have a child playing a drum kit. Including a solo where he got very loud. I knew it was coming so I turned down at the beginning of the track. Still. It was the loudest part of the show.

So when  Normalizing. That part is what set the high bar. Forcing everything else to have lower levels.

Should each track be normalized independently. So rouge loud parts don’t effect the whole recording. Or does that make it uneven everywhere.
Tascam DR100MKlll
Line Audio CM3

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2018, 02:03:05 PM »

When  Normalizing. I did  - Select All> Effect>Normalize. Two of the tracks have a child playing a drum kit. Including a solo where he got very loud. I knew it was coming so I turned down at the beginning of the track. Still. It was the loudest part of the show.

So when  Normalizing. That part is what set the high bar. Forcing everything else to have lower levels.

Should each track be normalized independently. So rouge loud parts don’t effect the whole recording. Or does that make it uneven everywhere.

This is why I was suggesting light dynamic compression above.

Let's say the entire recording is below -6 dB, except for a handful of snare hits that peak around -1dB. If you apply, say, 3:1 or 4:1 compression to everything above -6 dB, then the snare hits get quieted while everything else is left unchanged, and you have the headroom to normalize afterwards and make the whole thing significantly louder.

(If you start compressing large sections of music, you get into Loudness Wars territory and it will sound like crap. But for a few stray drum hits or claps or even loud vocal moments, it should work fine.)

Offline G.Kennedy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2018, 04:55:10 PM »
Excellent. I’ll make a copy of the track with the drum kit and learn how to do that. Thanks.
Tascam DR100MKlll
Line Audio CM3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com