Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: soundbar?  (Read 2653 times)

Offline mblindsey

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection All-Star
soundbar?
« on: February 12, 2009, 09:30:31 PM »

My question is more for general TV use, and the occasional concert DVD.  Does anyone have any experience with something like the "soundbar"?  I know Bose make something similar...

http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/en/us/consumer/cc/_productid_HTS8100_37_US_CONSUMER/

Audiophile opinions aside, are these things "ok" for general use?  Or, more direct...is this product segment a gimmick that sounds like a$$ at any price? 

Kids cartoons, a red box dvd, games...not looking for spectacular...just trying to avoid cabling hassles in a product that provides some increase in value over speakers in the TV...

If the price to performance is better on cheap surround sounds...well, I guess I'll drill holes...

--Michael
Mics:  Microtech Gefell m200/M20/nBob Actives>PFA, CA-11
Pre's: USB Pre2, 1x V3, 2x V3 w/optimod, MP2, Church Ugly
Decks: SD MixPre 6 II, R44 Oade Concert Mod, M10
Playback: Grace m9xx->Sen HD 650, Fostex TH-X00, HIFIMAN HEXX
Mixing: RME Fireface UFX->Reaper/Izotope->Yamaha HS8

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: soundbar?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 01:05:56 PM »
I would be interested to hear as well.  My parents have a sony LCD and the sound is a bit thin...they would use it for tv and dvd use only...

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 12:50:31 PM »
Interested as well, this would be perfect for the bedroom.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 01:18:16 PM »
A guy I used to work with bought one and raved about it for weeks.  ymmv
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Weirdness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • ...driftin' and dreamin'...
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 01:27:30 PM »
A good soundbar will beat a cheap theater in a box any day of the week.  That being said, a modest 2 channel system if you can afford the space will slaughter most soundbars that are out there and will give you the option of listening to music with good sound as well.  For under $500 I would think that you could get something like an NAD/Paradigm system that would do a nice job without breaking the bank.  Buying used would allow for something better of course.

All that being said, almost anything will beat the sound of a flat panel TV, there just isn't enough room in there to do justice to the audio portion.  Also, make sure that if you go the stereo route rather than surround that your DVD player and cable/satellite box are set for stereo out and not surround if possible. 

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 07:09:45 PM »
If the price to performance is better on cheap surround sounds...well, I guess I'll drill holes...
--Michael

I would think it is, it's important to remember that the "surround" effects of these things are greatly affected by room dimensions and acoustics. The side firing drivers depend on room reflections to give the surround effect. Even in a good room, I can't imagine that this type of surround speaker could outperform speakers that are set up in the correct positions. Just my guess.
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com