Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Flac -> MP3?  (Read 7290 times)

Offline slouchiec

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • PYITE
Flac -> MP3?
« on: March 18, 2009, 01:32:44 PM »
I never thought I'd be saying this since I was involved in some of the very first 24bit recording of phish and any other bands for that matter in the live music scene and we were all about maintaining the resolution, but all I really listen to is my Ipod anymore and my computer and for the speakers I am listening on MP3 is plenty high on the res.... So with that being said, what should I use to convert Flac to MP3?
Thanks!!
"...you wanna go do another tooter?!?!?...do you need a new guitar player starting Monday??"

Offline T.J.

• Needs to get out more...
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
Re: Flac -> MP3?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 01:38:49 PM »
i use foobar2000 to convert my 16bit flac files to mp3 for use @ the gym. it's extremely easy: load all the files into foobar, highlight them all, right click and select "convert." i select the highest quality. it will ask you where you want save them. i have a specific folder on my desktop for all the mp3s. it only takes a couple minutes for a standard two set show and it won't delete your original flac files.

from there i just drop them into itunes and sync the ipod.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 01:57:17 PM »
I use the "Format > Convert Encoding Format" on Trader's Little Helper...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 02:48:30 PM »
^ Are either of the above better than...say the converter that itunes uses to convert stuff to their AAC format?  That's what I use and honestly, I can't say anything negative about the 80GB of music that's in AAC format on my ipod other than I'm only half full so I need to get more music on my ipod...60 days worth just isn't enough!

Offline T.J.

• My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 02:52:40 PM »
^ Are either of the above better than...say the converter that itunes uses to convert stuff to their AAC format?  That's what I use and honestly, I can't say anything negative about the 80GB of music that's in AAC format on my ipod other than I'm only half full so I need to get more music on my ipod...60 days worth just isn't enough!

does itunes convert from flac to AAC? i've done it with wav files, but never with flacs. do you just add it the flacs to your library in itunes and select convert to AAC? i might have to give it a try...

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 03:48:49 PM »

does itunes convert from flac to AAC? i've done it with wav files, but never with flacs. do you just add it the flacs to your library in itunes and select convert to AAC? i might have to give it a try...

You can set iTunes to convert to AAC or MP3.  However, iTunes doesn't recognize FLAC, so it won't do FLAC>MP3/AAC conversion...

You could FLAC>WAV with whatever, then WAV>MP3/AAC with iTunes though...

I've heard AAC is a "better" format (quality vs size) than MP3, but I use MP3 since its a lot easier to handle (car CD player, my generic MP3 player, friends, etc...)

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline T.J.

• My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 03:54:18 PM »

You can set iTunes to convert to AAC or MP3.  However, iTunes doesn't recognize FLAC, so it won't do FLAC>MP3/AAC conversion...

You could FLAC>WAV with whatever, then WAV>MP3/AAC with iTunes though...

I've heard AAC is a "better" format (quality vs size) than MP3, but I use MP3 since its a lot easier to handle (car CD player, my generic MP3 player, friends, etc...)

Terry

gotcha. thanks terry. i didn't think itunes recognized flacs....guess i'll stick with the way i've been doing it. no need to go flac>wav>AAC. i'd imagine the flac tags wouldn't convert using this method anyway.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 03:57:31 PM »
i use dbpoweramp - LAME encoding

I don't recall details (they can be found here) but you must always do 16bit > mp3 for some reason 24bit >mp3 doesn't encode right
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 03:58:30 PM »
i'd imagine the flac tags wouldn't convert using this method anyway.

correct.

I love tags.  Everybody please tag your flacs and use my format for album:  yyyy-mm-dd - venue - city, state/country.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 04:18:44 PM »

I don't recall details (they can be found here) but you must always do 16bit > mp3 for some reason 24bit >mp3 doesn't encode right

What's wrong with 24>mp3 encoding?  I've done that alot and never noticed a problem.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 04:22:05 PM »

What's wrong with 24>mp3 encoding?  I've done that alot and never noticed a problem.

i'll try to find the thread - but there was a big discussion here about it a while ago
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline slouchiec

• Taperssection Regular
  • PYITE
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 04:51:33 PM »
Thank you everyone!!
"...you wanna go do another tooter?!?!?...do you need a new guitar player starting Monday??"

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 05:04:46 PM »
I use dbpoweramp - LAME encoding also.  But you have to buy a license to be able to convert to mp3.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 05:29:17 PM »
i use foobar2000 to convert my 16bit flac files to mp3 for use @ the gym. it's extremely easy: load all the files into foobar, highlight them all, right click and select "convert." i select the highest quality. it will ask you where you want save them. i have a specific folder on my desktop for all the mp3s. it only takes a couple minutes for a standard two set show and it won't delete your original flac files.

from there i just drop them into itunes and sync the ipod.

X2
download lame.exe and rip @ highest quality setting.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline busterr

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 05:36:43 PM »
I also use Foobar2000(with LAME) for all my flac/shn/wav/etc>mp3 conversions, but I also use Foobar to sync with my Ipod...there is an older plugin called foo_dop that works like a champ. Itunes is/was way over-bloated and caused me nothing but problems, I had to reinstall my OS to completely get rid of it ::).

Regarding 24bit>mp3 I don't think there is an issue at all..at least currently, I believe the LMA does this, and I have done it many times with Foobar/LAME, I have yet to notice anything out of the ordinary compared to 16bit>mp3.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 05:59:59 PM »
for command line geeks...
flac -d -c somefile.flac | lame -h -b 320  - somefile.mp3

I started off by stealing this snippet from an archive.org derivation log file...
/usr/bin/flac --silent -d -c /tmp/derive/brew2008-09-26.lsd2-sbd-mix.flac16f/brew2008-09-26_remix_d2t05.flac | /usr/bin/lame --quiet --disptime 10 -b64 --resample 22.05 --ta "The Brew"  --tt "Faces jam"  --tn "17"  --tl "2008-09-26 - Paradise Rock Club"  - /tmp/derive-brew2008-09-26.lsd2-sbd-mix.flac16f-MP3/tmp.mp3
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 02:27:26 AM »
surprised that I'm the only one here using xACT to do this on my mac.

xACT uses LAME, and I usually set it to the highest VBR setting...which ends up being around 256k most of the time.

So far, I've dropped about 750 gigs of FLAC & SHN files onto xACT (usually about 30 or 40gigs at a time), and it's produced every file without a hitch...
Highly recommended.

Offline rjp

• Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 10:28:49 PM »
i use foobar2000 to convert my 16bit flac files to mp3 for use @ the gym. it's extremely easy: load all the files into foobar, highlight them all, right click and select "convert."

I've found that it works for 24-bit FLACs as well. It seems that MP3 and Ogg Vorbis files don't have a specific bit depth - foobar2000 doesn't display a bit depth for either file type, and when I sort my library by sampling rate and bit depth, the lossy files come out with a "?" for the bit depth.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 08:00:14 PM »

QFT - at least the LAME encoding so you can improve the settings.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 10:18:40 PM »
I use Xilisoft to do FLAC>MP3 encoding!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 12:32:10 PM »
I use dbpoweramp to go from flac>mp3 with LAME.

I use this guide when I rip cds...and use the v0 setting.
http://www2.firehose.us:81/~jiggafellz/eac/index.html

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline pmonk66

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 12:41:31 PM »
I use foobar as well to convert lossless to lossy for ipod purposes!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com