Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-22WL 2ch recorder with Wifi app remote control  (Read 69065 times)

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Tascam DR-22WL 2ch recorder with Wifi app remote control
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2014, 01:58:11 AM »
Internals - I do see this device as "a mic that records" so that's how I'd prefer to use it.  Ideally it would be wire-free but I'll have to use an external battery pack, though that can be at the bottom of the mic stand (if I end up using a proper one rather than a table stand).  If I did use an external mic with it, there's then a slight problem with placement of the recorder itself - I'd prefer not to attach it vertically to a stand below the mic as it would be a bit conspicuous (horizontally it's not too bad, apart from the wifi lamp at its bottom - which could be covered with blutak - but it would then really need to be at the top).  It could be placed at the foot of a stand but then the wifi range might suffer. 

My attendance at the event is a bit on/off but hopefully I'll make it.

I forget whether I already said it here, but I can see the day coming soon when a device like this will be marketed with no knobs or display on the recorder itself, and its shape being cylindrical like a normal mic, with all functions being app-operated.  Lower cost, and easier to mount remotely.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 02:01:37 AM by Ozpeter »

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2014, 09:43:04 PM »
It might possibly be too large to conceal in a salt shaker on the table. 

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2014, 10:49:25 PM »
Gig report -

Well, my DR-22WL has had its first serious outing and acquitted itself well. 

The venue was a small jazz club - say 150 people size - and as someone else was doing a "proper" recording, I kept my profile low and simply placed the recorder on someone's drinks table near the front of the stage, using a mini photo tripod, and sat the usb power supply beside it.  The recorder is so light that I should have taken alongside some blutak to ensure the tripod stayed in place, though in fact it didn't move.  I simply turned on the recorder, pressed the wifi button, and then positioned myself further back in the room, at a suitable point to get a good view on my video camera (it was a busy night!).

During the first item it was easy to adjust the level from my phone - somewhat too high to begin with - I ended up with it at about 30 (where 90 = max).  Then I left it alone but periodically checked that the phone was still receiving time and level info (no problem) and that the set level was still correct.  I stopped the transport from the phone at the start of the interval, and restarted it for the second half, all without having to disturb the people at the table by fiddling with the recorder (which would have put handling noises on the recording too). 

All in all, I came away with the feeling that this is a pretty ideal way of doing this kind of recording.  I've seen the future and it's wifi.

I've posted a sample track on Soundcloud - https://soundcloud.com/ozpeter/part-2-item-1 which hopefully will work - I'm not very familiar with Soundcloud.

Now this isn't straight from the recorder.  Personally, everything I do is going to go through at least minimal post-production, and what counts is the end result, not what I started with, which while being no disaster wasn't perfect.  As before, there's no doubt that the sound straight from the recorder has a "veiled" quality, lacking in high frequency sparkle.  But there's no problem at the bottom end.  So for Soundcloud, I added a little eq at the top end (+3dB at 5300Hz, 3 octave bandwidth), and as the trombone was a bit "in your face" I reduced the "mid" component of the stereo image by about 4dB, which has the effect of widening the image somewhat and reducing the centre level.  Noise levels (self noise) were just fine - I can't hear anything wrong in that department.

The end result is something which to my ear sounds very close to what I heard with my own ears on the night.  I'm pretty pleased.

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2014, 12:47:15 AM »
Now this isn't straight from the recorder.  Personally, everything I do is going to go through at least minimal post-production...

Since your reviewing a piece of gear - I suspect most of us would prefer to hear the unvarnished truth of an unedited sample. >:D

As-for WiFi - I like where TASCAM is going. Beyond remote control -  Id love to see a day where every compact recorder offered an "expanded view" available via wifi.

So - lets say I turn a knob in my new DR70D - it would be cool to have a screen on a phone or tab that showed more detailed level info/levels. (vs the tiny screens on these things)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2014, 11:48:02 AM »
My first impression of the sample is that it is clear, but thin.  Not sure if due to distance of mics to source, the source, the mics or EQ. 

I'm not sure if the 22wl should be on my list.  If it recorded well with at853s, I could see its usefulness.  It might be very useful for recording wedding vows as it is, but I'm undecided about music recording until further review.

Lest we get too carried away with WiFi features, compare these features with the WiFi in the Behringer xr12 for $300 or WiFi in today's camcorders for comparison.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2014, 12:20:54 PM »
Tascam has released a new firmware update Version 1.13 as of Dec 18.
http://tascam.com/product/dr-22wl/downloads/
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2014, 01:58:37 AM »
My first impression of the sample is that it is clear, but thin.  Not sure if due to distance of mics to source, the source, the mics or EQ. 
Probably the first of those options - the acoustic bass player was playing unplugged (as were they all) and doesn't put himself forward as a player.  If the trombone player was eight feet from the mic (bit of a guess) then the bass would have been about another 6 feet back from the trombonist.  Listening to a bass solo from later in the gig, the bottom end sounds completely authentic.  My earlier tests indicate a rising bass response which could actually be a slight problem in some scenarios - the slightest air movement causes a lot of very low frequency rumble.  Perhaps this is why there's a choice of several low cuts in the recorder menu.  They recommend 40Hz cut for music recording (which I ignored). 

Might post a short sample from the bass solo later.  I'm just surfacing from syncing the audio to the video - the DR-22 turns out to be rock solid against my Panasonic G6 once you get the two lined up (at least for the 20 minute clips I'm working with).  Certainly the DR-22 sound is streets ahead of the G6 FWIW.

Thanks to Dallman for the heads-up re latest firmware.  The weekly update for the Android app doesn't seem to have happened this time.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2014, 09:33:55 AM »
Thank you for this additional information.  I started to ask about clock drift, but forgot.  My experience with the dr2d was it was tight to about 20 minutes, noticeably drifting about 45, and really apart by 75 minutes. 

If they get the monitoring working, wonder if it could be fed into the G6 or if there will be a lag?

Looks to me like you've already gotten your money's worth playing with the 22wl.

Offline DancyGeorgia

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2014, 01:12:58 AM »
Has anyone tried the Tascam DR-22WL with external mics suitable for stealth recording?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2014, 08:19:34 AM »
Has anyone tried the Tascam DR-22WL with external mics suitable for stealth recording?

I have some Edirol in-ears which I could try with it, though the recorder is a  bit chunky for stealth (compared to the M10 for instance).  But, it has the advantage that you can leave the recorder in your pocket while operating it with your phone, as if sending a text message or something.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2014, 12:05:36 PM »
I have and it worked great. I think the recorder did a fanstastic job. Feel free to take a listen. https://archive.org/details/Hoodphellas2014-12-19.TuttlesMN_SP-EBM-1omnis

It was a show that was all electric Phish, and the band was one of the new line-ups for Jason Fladager who many know from the Big Wu and God Johnson.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2014, 01:59:12 PM »
That's what I was waiting to hear!  Nothing thin about that recording.   I'm shocked how good it sounds for a pair of $70 in ear mics. 

Where were you in the room relative to the band?

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2014, 03:00:07 PM »
Every time I hear a recording this good from relatively inexpensive gear it makes me think really hard about how much I have invested in this hobby and what the return is on my purchases.  This recording is amazing. 
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2014, 03:32:29 PM »
That's what I was waiting to hear!  Nothing thin about that recording.   I'm shocked how good it sounds for a pair of $70 in ear mics. 

Where were you in the room relative to the band?
I recently bought those mics on sale at Sound Professionals for $20.00. Quite a steal I think. I was about 10 or 15 feet back from the monitors in a noisy bar, near the sound board, mics up high, about 10 or 12 feet..

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2014, 06:14:40 PM »
If the mics were 12 feet up in your ears, then you must be a mighty tall chap (or maybe dancing on the bar?)! :)

These days I would expect any recorder's external input to have a flat response and low noise, so the quality of this recording is determined by the mics rather than the recorder (but of course it does show the external input is not defective!).  And what the mics hear is substantially determined by the quality of the band amplification.  Unless the in-ears were used with a dummy head on that 12 foot stand, then the result will not be in accordance with the mics specs.  I guess now it will be after Christmas before I can get out with my in-ears and record something acoustic to get a more "level playing field" result.

Today's Android release adds the "browse" button to remotely select which file you want to play back, but given that you need to have headphones connected to the recorder to hear the result, it's not particularly useful at the moment.  Once streaming to the phone is implemented the browse feature will be much more worthwhile.  However, all that is moot, as pressing the "browse" button simply crashes the app (on the two phones I tried it with).  And yes, I did update the recorder firmware as well.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com