Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: wav>flac  (Read 5707 times)

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
Re: wav>flac
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 01:50:31 AM »
level 8  always
may take slightly longer encode but files are smaller
as previously stated...
--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline pdastoor

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 07:03:07 AM »
I always set it to level 8, never takes me long to convert. I have 4gb of ram and a dual core processor, kinda old pc but still does the work at a fast pace

Offline Shadow_7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 02:41:37 PM »
Space is cheap.  I don't even bother with flac anymore.  Wav vs. Flac isn't really a 2:1 ratio (I think I save like 40% space BITD), so why bother.  Sure if you have limited HDD space, but 2TB drives are approaching $100.  That's like 2,000 CDs or something like that, uncompressed.  Now for internet sharing and other things, it's significant since you're talking several hundred copies over an already slow connection.  And other I have the highest quality version, and that's my proof that they stole my work.  Otherwise why bother?

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 03:20:39 PM »
Space is cheap.  I don't even bother with flac anymore.  Wav vs. Flac isn't really a 2:1 ratio (I think I save like 40% space BITD), so why bother.  Sure if you have limited HDD space, but 2TB drives are approaching $100.  That's like 2,000 CDs or something like that, uncompressed.  Now for internet sharing and other things, it's significant since you're talking several hundred copies over an already slow connection.  And other I have the highest quality version, and that's my proof that they stole my work.  Otherwise why bother?

I have 5tb of lossless FLAC/SHNs on 3 HDDs (2x 2tb and 1x 1tb)...  Space is very much a premium for me...  That's why I bother...

YMMV...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Shadow_7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 07:08:12 PM »
I have 3x 1TB HDDs and a couple 500GB ones, and that's just the external ones.  Still 500GB of breathing room, and audio only accounts for about 20% of my data packrat habits.  But I do have 700+ CDs that I haven't bothered taking off the optical formats yet.  Although I started to BITD and some of the songs with flac compression didn't play well.  So I stopped doing flacs altogether.  But that was a few years ago.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com