Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Suggestion for a good mic for an Edirol R-09 to record live rock concerts  (Read 3186 times)

Offline moraes_luciano

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Hi,

I have an Edirol R-09 and the mics i bought was an SP-TFB-2 (SOUND PROFESSIONALS LOW NOISE IN-EAR BINAURAL MICROPHONES). But sometimes (most of it) the sound that i record is not that good, and for loud concerts it gets distorced.

Anyone has a good tip for a mic, and specially one that can work it right only with the Edirol, wihtout needing any other tipe of gear?

Thanks for your help.

Luciano

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Ideally you're going to want a battery box (or preamp) between your mics and a R-09. This is because the R-09 does not supply as much power to the mics as a battery box will. Less power = distorted recordings.

You probably could just toss a SP battery box between your mics and recorder and it will help a lot. Don't know much about those mics, but if I had to wager a guess that is the biggest problem you have.

Like I said in your other thread...you need to set a budget otherwise the smart-asses here will tell you to buy a $4000 set of DPA's.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline moraes_luciano

• Taperssection Newbie
I was thinkg around US$ 350...

Thanks for your answer.

Offline moraes_luciano

• Taperssection Newbie
If i do have to buy a battery box, what kind should i buy? Nothing big and nothing too expensive are important for me.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Church Audio mics and preamps/battery boxes
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline doodee

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
Church Audio mics and preamps/battery boxes
Mucho bang for not a lot of bucks.
An instrument that converts sound waves into an electric current >
an electronic amplifier which precedes another amplifier to prepare an electronic signal for further amplification or processing >
a device to capture an analog or digital source and store the encoded data in a digital format.

Offline igene

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Taperssection Member
Church Audio CA-9100.
You won't regret it.
Leela : ...what are we going to do ?
the Doctor : Should we try using our Intelligence ?
Leela : Well, if you think it's a good idea.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gallifreyan Guard : But you do have access to the greatest source of knowledge in the Universe.
the Doctor : Well, I do talk to myself sometimes, Yes...

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Some fellows here will tell you you can record loud rock concerts using 4.7k modded microphones plugged directly into mic-in (or was it line-in ?) of the Edirol.

Doing this way, you can spend about 300$ on a pair of cardioid (uni-directional) mics and send them to Chris Church who will do the mod for you. No need for an additionnal battery-box or preamp.

If you want to use omnidirectional mics, you'll need a switchable bass roll-off filter on either a battery-box or preamp (assuming the low-cut filter option on the Edirol is not enough for loud rock concerts, but this has to be discussed...).

If you don't want to use a battery-box or preamp only because of the extra cost, I'd suggest you to check Church Audio products too !!
You could grab a nice sounding pair of CA-14s and a great CA-9100 preamp for less than 300$ (check the retail space of this board).

If you don't want to use a battery-box or preamp because you don't want to bother about it while at the show, I'd suggest you a pair of 300$ mics + 4.7k mod.

A 300$ budget for a pair of mics will let you a large choice between some of the best stealth products out there (SP-CMC-8, MM-HLSC-1).

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 02:12:33 PM by fandelive »
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com