Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG C481s vs DPA 4011s - some first thoughts  (Read 3723 times)

jnorman34

• Trade Count: (0)
AKG C481s vs DPA 4011s - some first thoughts
« on: July 06, 2004, 07:45:07 PM »
i have been through three pairs of km184s, royer r-121s, gefell m300s, AT4051s, schoeps cmc64s, and a variety of all kinds of other mics over the years, and have been using the AKG C480/ck61s for the past couple years as my main mics for mostly chamber music work.  the akg's are just wonderful, and i have not had a single complaint about them.  i surely find them more useable in more applications than the schoeps, though i really liked the schoeps on some applications also (plus they have incredibale build quality).  anyway, i have kept my akg's and just purchased a pair of DPA 4011s to complement them.  after jsut a few days of testing, and some studio gigs with som classical instruments, i thought i'd post a couple of thoughts.  (preamps are millennia media HV3).

i am very keen on flat response, hence my favoritism twoard the c480s and the 4011s.  both these mics are just fabulous, and do not enhance the plinky or screechy nature of any instruments like my little neumanns did (and so many other mics i have owned).  the 4011s and 480s are both big, open and clean, with excellent off-axis response.  i tend to prefer close spaced pairs on solo instruments in the studio, and in this testing, the 4011s and the c481s were indistinguishable - i did not quite expect this, but that is what my ears are telling me.  frankly, i could not be happier with that result - i am able to overdub both mics interchangeably.  the AKGs hold their own in every way with the DPAs, though the off-axis response on the DPAs is just a tad cleaner and smoother, which would seem to give them the nod for near-coincident setups like ORTF and NOS.  i used a spaced pair of the 4011s on a pedal harp session saturday, with some of the best results i have ever gotten, IMHO.  OTOH, the player simply could not hear any differnce between the 4011 session and an earlier session we did with the c481s.  a flutist who just loves the sound of the c480s was also unable to distinguish between them and the new 4011s.  the build quality of both mics is top rate, though i guess again, i would have to give a slight nod to the DPAs - everything about them, including aevery accessory, is just wonderfully crafted from top quality materials, and the customer support is outstanding.  i have had several personal communications from bruce myers at DPA in colorado, and even got a phone call from gary baldassari today - what a treat, that guy has done everything in the world.  DPA is even going to do a short PR piece about me next month for a gig i am doing with a new bosendorfer 7'4" grand piano - guess i'll have to comb my hair or something.  anyway, i love the 4011s AND the c480s - if any of you have any specific questions about these mics, or how they compare to any other mics, let me know, and i'll try to answer them.  take care - great forum!

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: AKG C481s vs DPA 4011s - some first thoughts
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 07:59:24 PM »
great stuff! thanks...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 08:02:27 PM »
Just don't use those AKG's outdoors :)   j/k

i run 481's and love them.  Have you done any tests or have an opinion of the ck63 caps.
They will be my next investment, i know a lot of other folks are getting great results w/ those.

Have you considered going lower profile w/ a box from jk labs?

peace.

MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline Brian

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 08:16:02 PM »
excellent thoughts!  some folks just really love the 480s and i haven't heard of too many who are fond of them in the studio or chamber type situations.  sounds like you've found 2 great mics for your apps!

what i've noticed about these two mics in regards to live PA taping(most of us here do this), is that they can be really hit and miss.....that a lot of it has to do with how the PA sounds and the gear you run behind them cause these mics are so flat. I've heard some great recordings made from both mics and i have heard some absolutely atrocious ones.

you love DPA cards huh?  what do you think about them 4006's 8) ever tried those for your close miking apps? i've always thought of omnis as pretty under-rated and under-used in the studio.  i'd try to use those 4006's as much as possible, but that's just me :)

jnorman34

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 11:50:05 PM »
yes, i tried out pairs of 4006s, 4022s, 4060s (i own a pair of 4061s), and 4015s from DPA in colorado.  i did really like the 4006s, though i enjoy the control over bass response that i have using different distances with cards.  other than that, the 4006s and the 4011s have a very similar kind of sound.  very clean all over the place.

the ck 63 hypers are really fine caps, and i know you will enjoy them - they are comparable to the very best i have heard.  i might give  a slight nod to the schoeps mk41 caps for some apps (NOS for small orchestra), and even the km150s in certain situations (close micing a string quartet), but the ck63s are world class and can hold their own with anything made.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 12:27:11 AM »
nice reading, especially since ive always been a huge akg fluffer :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 12:27:49 AM »
phlupher*

;D

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 01:12:11 AM »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com