Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: LSD2 in the Section (new toy, want ideas)  (Read 5924 times)

Offline Alan Hyatt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Gear Designer
Re: LSD2 in the Section (new toy, want ideas)
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2004, 02:31:44 PM »
LSD = $%#^@%  Good trip...  Only kidding

I would run the LSD in M/S for the application Ohm is asking...but I would also experiment as each room is different...
Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group
Studio Projects, Joemeek, Toft Audio, Valley People
1845 W. 169th Street
Gardena,  CA  90247
tel: 310.323.9050
email: alan@pmiaudio.com
www.pmiaudio.com

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2004, 02:39:06 PM »
Alan:

Agreed -- I've found that running the lsd2 in m/s and not decoding on the fly allows me to optimize the pickup pattern after the fact by decoding the m/s info on my pc in a controlled environment.

Great mic!

Offline Alan Hyatt

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Gear Designer
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2004, 03:56:18 PM »
Alan:

Agreed -- I've found that running the lsd2 in m/s and not decoding on the fly allows me to optimize the pickup pattern after the fact by decoding the m/s info on my pc in a controlled environment.

Great mic!

Thanks... To get into this kind of mic before the LSD-2, you would have to spend thousands.... So, while not a Neumann, it is not far from it, but way behind it in affordabilty which allows more users to get into a mic like this.... The best part is using it!

Glad you like it.... :)

Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group
1845 W. 169th Street
Gardena,  CA  90247
www.pmiaudio.com

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2004, 04:08:22 PM »
Alan:

Didn't you previously allude at some point to a possible upgrade for the LSD2 in the near future?  Any hints?

Offline Alan Hyatt

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Gear Designer
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2004, 02:30:36 AM »
Alan:

Didn't you previously allude at some point to a possible upgrade for the LSD2 in the near future?  Any hints?

Yes, I did, but no firm date as of yet....
Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group
1845 W. 169th Street
Gardena,  CA  90247
www.pmiaudio.com

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2004, 01:33:54 PM »
Alan:

Any hints on what the upgrade might entail/do?  I'm patient and in no rush, but remain intrigued :)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2004, 01:44:01 PM »
Darrin - love that tape of BBFT from the Fillmore, sounds very nice... good work!

btw - the Carver sounds pretty nice, I think there's definitely a sweet spot where the sound kind of opens up... thanks for the loaner :)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2004, 01:46:35 PM »
Tim - glad the carver's working out for you -- sounds like you fixed your speaker problem too ?

I forgot to give you the carver's remote -- you're welcome to drop by and pick it up.

Also, thanks for the comments on the flecktones recording, I was REALLY impressed with how it turned out too -- looking forward to getting a LOT more use out of this combo.

Offline Tim

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2004, 01:51:47 PM »
a remote owuld make my life much better 8)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2004, 01:58:31 PM »
Tim:

other than 2 different evening commitments keeping me from hitting any shows this weekend, I'll be around . . .

Offline Tim

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2004, 02:03:06 PM »
sounds good... thanks Darrin :)

BobW

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2004, 10:15:02 PM »
LSD-2 comments:

Instruction book blows.   -  period.  All Your Large Stereo Diaphragm belong to us !
Book covers all Studio Projects mics in about two pages in English(sort of)

I got the mic at 5PM as I was heading out the door to a show that I wanted to tape.
Unpacked it for the first time there.

Markings on the instrument are cryptic and the articulating capsule required tape to ensure position when putting on windscreen.

Some form of dual-protractor sticker around it could be very helpful, I've handmade one for my field use. Also forward-facing marker.
Shockmount inner basket holding mic via spring tension is a weakness, machinists invented threads many, many years ago.
(on the plus side, it is a snap to put up)   Mic screening could be "beefier."

Big pluses for the sound, quite good as X-Y cardioid, tried Stereosonic(Blumlein) on ambient piano room and loved it.
Yet to play M-S, but am looking forward to it. I see M-S as requiring the right placement and space to be truly effective.
Why would anyone want a dual capsule omni ?  Am I missing something there, is it for redundancy or just extra channel ?
More pluses on the included extra shockmount cords, thoughtful. Shockmount hooks are better than some others that I've seen.

I do not see hyper-cardioid as an advantage to this mic. Are they planning to make it in a tube version ? Add sub-card ?

Despite a few initial quirks, as all mics have, this is an amazing unit. And ease of use makes it very handy.
The sound is amazing. Did I say that already ?  X-Y on acoustic guitar a few feet from sounding board is very warm and nice.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 06:48:22 PM by Ohm »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com