Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Re-matching mics  (Read 2970 times)

Offline jkoch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
Re-matching mics
« on: December 09, 2004, 03:31:44 PM »
is there a way to "rematch" or adjust mics so they come closer in db range. i got an older pair of 460s and they're off by a good margin at times. anything that can be done? can i send them to akg? are they going to charge me some high fee per mic if i do?
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
Re: Re-matching mics
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 03:47:14 PM »
akg in nashville, and from what i hear thier prices arent too bad for repairs. im sure there is something they can do

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 08:19:55 PM »
is there a way to "rematch" or adjust mics so they come closer in db range. i got an older pair of 460s and they're off by a good margin at times. anything that can be done? can i send them to akg? are they going to charge me some high fee per mic if i do?

I don't know the price, but they can match your mics. Gice them a call.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 08:23:33 PM »
send em to akg...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline itsmyforte

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 05:05:43 PM »
just pad the hotter one one down in your preamp.

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 09:09:45 PM »
with the ua5 i'm having to have one knob near the middle and one pretty high. i'd guess the difference is about 10+ db at times which can make getting the levels up to where i want a pain at times. my only fear now is that if i send them to akg they may have some ridiculous estimate like their normal flat rate ($135) per mic. i'm not sure if it's worth $300 just to have a more matched pair. maybe i'll give jw a call and see if his mod may do something to help the situation since i was going to have that done eventually anyhow. thanks for the comments guys :)

Offline utahtaper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 07:43:31 PM »
with the ua5 i'm having to have one knob near the middle and one pretty high. i'd guess the difference is about 10+ db at times which can make getting the levels up to where i want a pain at times. my only fear now is that if i send them to akg they may have some ridiculous estimate like their normal flat rate ($135) per mic. i'm not sure if it's worth $300 just to have a more matched pair. maybe i'll give jw a call and see if his mod may do something to help the situation since i was going to have that done eventually anyhow. thanks for the comments guys :)
Just an idea but I bet if you have them modded by Jim they will get matched at the time of the modding. Your money might be better spent that way.
Recording:
SKM 140's>LC3>ACM660

Playback:
Tascam DA30MKII DAT player
Jolida Tube CD player

Sota Saphire w/grado TLZ> Melos 333> Melos 400 monoblocks> Legacy Focus

Mcintosh MR71>c22>MC60 monoblocks

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 01:55:36 PM »
Is it the caps or the preamp  of the 460?  maybe a certain combo of the mic/capsules/cables/ua5 channel can produce a better match, although I would want to know why it is off.
Has this rig been ok prior or is something new...in other words did you have this problem before with either the ua5 or the mics?

Do some troubleshooting to see where the proble lies.... 
If you swap entire rig inputs to the ua5 and the problem follows, then the ua5 is ok (do next test). if the problem doesn't follow then ua5 issue.
Next leaving the cable attached to the ua5,  swap the mics and see if it follows...yes = cables ok (do next test)...no= bad cable (fix it)
Swap capsules leaving all else the same..did the problem follow to the other channel...yes =  cap issue, no= preamp issue

you can call both JW and akg and deceide which path is best for you but...if you are going to mod them then, maybe jw is the way to go regardless.
Hope this helps
peace
jah
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2004, 02:39:04 PM »
Is it the caps or the preamp  of the 460?  maybe a certain combo of the mic/capsules/cables/ua5 channel can produce a better match, although I would want to know why it is off.
Has this rig been ok prior or is something new...in other words did you have this problem before with either the ua5 or the mics?

Do some troubleshooting to see where the proble lies.... 
If you swap entire rig inputs to the ua5 and the problem follows, then the ua5 is ok (do next test). if the problem doesn't follow then ua5 issue.
Next leaving the cable attached to the ua5,  swap the mics and see if it follows...yes = cables ok (do next test)...no= bad cable (fix it)
Swap capsules leaving all else the same..did the problem follow to the other channel...yes =  cap issue, no= preamp issue

you can call both JW and akg and deceide which path is best for you but...if you are going to mod them then, maybe jw is the way to go regardless.
Hope this helps
peace
jah

haven't tried switching cables while attached to the ua5 so i will do that. the issue is not with the capsules or the ua5 though as i've done both of those tests.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com