Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: NOS NAKS!!!  (Read 1886 times)

hexyjones

• Trade Count: (0)
NOS NAKS!!!
« on: December 10, 2004, 10:13:28 AM »
Well - I dont really have NAKs - I have these TASCAM mics that are supposedly the same mic...they do sound like the 300s I remember.
(my sig line is hyperlinked to a pic of the mics)

I was always a big XYer - but that sounds crappy with this mic...

I tried a few shows A/B - that works better...but now...

I've slowly moved to NOS - shit - what a huge difference!

It's like, I'm finally getting the sound I've been looking for!!!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 10:16:32 AM by hexyjones »

Offline peterbilt

• Taperssection Member
Re: NOS NAKS!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 10:48:03 AM »
I ran my 300's NOS from the lip for a friends band and I was VERY pleased with the results. Given similair circumstances I would definitely run NOS again.
I'm also going to try it on the 18th at a place where it seems every other configuration i have run there (A-B, X/Y) have resulted in an overwhelming presence of cymbals. I'm fairly certain that it's due to the fact that the stand hanging from the ceiling lands my mics perfectly on the the same plane as the cymbals in most of the bands that play there. I'm hoping by running NOS that will alleviate some of the piercing highs.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 10:55:17 AM »
I'm also going to try it on the 18th at a place where it seems every other configuration i have run there (A-B, X/Y) have resulted in an overwhelming presence of cymbals. I'm fairly certain that it's due to the fact that the stand hanging from the ceiling lands my mics perfectly on the the same plane as the cymbals in most of the bands that play there. I'm hoping by running NOS that will alleviate some of the piercing highs.

Also try angling the mics up/down a bit, I've found - depending on location - a bit of an up/down angle can have a fairly significant impact on the recording.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline peterbilt

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 11:43:52 AM »

Also try angling the mics up/down a bit, I've found - depending on location - a bit of an up/down angle can have a fairly significant impact on the recording.

I think I'll give a bunch of things a shot that night, with angling them as you suggest being one of them. There are 3 bands playing and with 2 of them, I am very familiar with their sound. I'm thinking that NOS with a bit of emphasis on grabbing the outside of the stage/overhead PA will help a bit. I'm rather hesitant about angling the mics upwards towards the angled overhead PA :-\  ...'course I won't know till I give it a whirl right!

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 01:54:01 PM »
I found at certain times in certain indoor venues NOS was too heavy on the lowend. Try sometime just pointing the CM300's just to  the edge of the PA stacks. You will be amazed at the results! DINN also works well too. XY IMO only worked well for really boomy sounding venues - but I never really cared for the narrow imaging it produced. I found the low-cut to work far better.

LoS
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661
Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod mics > Battbox> Tascam DR-7

Former Nak CM300 & CM700 Vet (CP1, CP2, CP3 & CP4 caps), MX-100

Its 420.....24/7.....365!! :-)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com