Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Running multi mics on same source?  (Read 6054 times)

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
Running multi mics on same source?
« on: December 21, 2004, 01:51:07 AM »
Hey, has anyone ever run a multi mic configuration for the same source?

What I'm looking at doing is running a pair of large diaphram condensors towards the stage and then an omni on either side, which would then all be directed to a preamp box and then out to recorder.  Just pondering this and wondering if it could possibly result in a more full sounding recording, the clearness of the condensors mixing with the ambience of the omnis.  All would be configured on a stand of course.  Pros and cons please.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Running multi mics on same source?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 02:12:47 AM »
I few times I ran my oktava MC012 cards DIN and also mixed in a pair of Low Cost CSB (Omni's). I used my UA5 to mix and was very happy with the results.

I didn't have another source to compare(from the same night) but from other recordings I have made it the same venue, it made a noticable improvement.

Give it a try. If you're not willing to chance it on an "important" show go tape a local band.

MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 02:58:16 AM »
Yeah i was just gonna try it at a local venue where i know the band so i can plug in my pre/processor.

hexyjones

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 10:04:01 AM »

What I'm looking at doing is running a pair of large diaphram condensors towards the stage and then an omni on either side, which would then all be directed to a preamp box and then out to recorder.  Just pondering this and wondering if it could possibly result in a more full sounding recording, the clearness of the condensors mixing with the ambience of the omnis.  All would be configured on a stand of course.  Pros and cons please.

You need to be more specific here....the "then all be directed to a preamp box" part has me worried...are you using a mixer...?

The cons would be the possibility of some unwanted phase cancellation/reinforcement...

Are the omnis condenser or dynamic mics?

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 01:14:15 AM »
Omnis are condensors.  What they would be routed through is a Behringer Tube Ultragain MIC200 and then directly into my JB3.  Should I also bring along a mixer or not?  The MIC200 can run 8 sources simultaneously, all at 48v phamtom power.  It's mostly just an idea i'm toying with right now but something I'd like to try for improving the sound of small venue recordings done in bars and cafes.

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 01:22:23 AM »
On another note...has anyone ever tried adding a kick mic to their configuration?  Don't really know if this would be a positive of any kind but just something I thought of.

jpschust

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 09:01:25 AM »
On another note...has anyone ever tried adding a kick mic to their configuration?  Don't really know if this would be a positive of any kind but just something I thought of.

well are you talking for on stage or just a kick mic placed how?  (btw kick mics have usually the most awful response once you reach the mid range)

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 02:13:20 PM »

That is all I run.

I usually run 2 Earthworks QTC-1 Omnis spaced 1 metre apart, then run EW SR-77's in an ORTF mode in between them. Works great, but you need a mixer. I've been using the Wendt X4 for the past few years.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2004, 01:24:08 AM »
so a mixer is a must?

i don't have a SMALL mixer, but I do have a decent 5 channel that is portable and runs on standard voltage.  And i'm just saying a kick mic aranged with the other mics for the low frequency clarity mics usually are lacking, but i've never heard of anyone doing this so i doubt it's a practical option.

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2004, 04:30:59 AM »
so a mixer is a must?

i don't have a SMALL mixer, but I do have a decent 5 channel that is portable and runs on standard voltage.  And i'm just saying a kick mic aranged with the other mics for the low frequency clarity mics usually are lacking, but i've never heard of anyone doing this so i doubt it's a practical option.

A mixer, in my opinion is the only way to do it. You need to look at ENG mixers, these are designed for this task. See Glenn Trew's article on Eng mixers. It's several years old, and a bit out of date, but still informative.

http://www.trewaudio.com/sound_on_location1.htm

You want low clarity? Use a good quality omni microphone. You'll get a nice flat frequency response with a range that will knock your socks off. How about 4 Hz to 40 KHz +/- 1 dB? Low enough for you? That's what the Earthworks QTC-1 is rated (and does). You need to go check out a couple of my shows on archive.org where I used multiple mics with a mixer. Then you'll get an appreciation for the range of the music and how when done correctly, can sound great. A few recommendations would be:

Big Head Todd & The Monsters: http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=3481
Cowboy Junkies: http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=19889
Sound Tribe Sector 9: http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=17978

All were done with 4 mics (2 QTC-1 mics spread 1 metre with 2 SR-77 mics in the middle) feed into a Wendt X4 mixer. The stereo feed out of the mixer was then put into the AD2K+, then to my DAT recorder. Check out a song or two, then decide for yourself if it's worth all the effort (I think it is).

Wayne

Offline jacallery

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2004, 11:23:09 PM »
Wayne, how do you get the metre spread between omni's?    Is it a DIY bar
or two stands?  I plan on doing this some myself, but need a way to split the
omni's with full bodies?

later,
callery
schoeps mk41/mk5+cmc6xt>Nagra V (24/96)

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2004, 02:15:54 AM »
Ok cool, I'll check into this when I get some more cash burning a hole in my wallet...getting new stealth mics first.  If I really needed I could lug around the mixer I have now and use a surge protector and an extension cord to power the rig since it's just local venues and friends bands mostly.  Was just mainly something I had been pondering for a more realistic sounding small venue show.

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2004, 07:22:49 AM »
Wayne, how do you get the metre spread between omni's?    Is it a DIY bar
or two stands?  I plan on doing this some myself, but need a way to split the
omni's with full bodies?

later,
callery

I made a bar that fits with a C-Clamp onto my stand. It makes it a very wide setup and most FOH guys get a kick out of watching me put it up. ;-)

Wayne

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2004, 03:10:00 AM »
I am going to want the cardiod condensors to be quite a bit louder than the omnis right?  I'm looking at MXL 992 series cards which have a response of 20Hz-20Khz, currently running the MXL 990 in a studio environment with great results but they respond from 30Hz-20Khz.  This should be clean bottom end for live recording if the mic lives up to it's numbers.  The omnis will be DPA 4061 series.  The signal chain will hopefully look like this:

Mics>Mixer>Tube processor>JB3

I know there's no A>D involved but IMO that's something which I just don't need to include since I am converting to a purely analog sound with the tube system anyway.  My only concern here is that I may possibly pick up more bottom end then I'd like so is it a good idea to lower the bass levels on the mixer a tad while recording?  Also the mic setup will be as follows:

4061***992********************992***4061

Is it just me or is this an almost laughable level of professionalism going into indie rock recordings?  Heh.  Well anyways, more suggestions I'm glad to hear them.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2004, 08:54:27 PM »
I know there's no A>D involved but IMO that's something which I just don't need to include since I am converting to a purely analog sound with the tube system anyway.

Well, there is an ADC involved - it's just the internal one in the JB3.  Keep in mind the quality of the ADC impacts how realistically and detailed your purely analog tube sound is converted to digital.  Personally, I recommend trying it out as you have it spec'd.  If you feel the need for an outboard ADC, you can always add it later. 
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com