Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Running multi mics on same source?  (Read 6053 times)

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
Re: Running multi mics on same source?
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2004, 09:36:04 PM »
Will it make a differance if the signal is tubed before or after it reaches the mixer?  I could lug around a larger unit so both condensors would be tubed, but any units with more than 2 channels cost far too much for my budget.  Also what about an Aphex Aural Exciter to add even more to the recordings before they reach the recorder?  With the kind of access I have at these local venues I can bring as much stuff as I care too really, so this is becoming more insane than I had expected.  What will most likely happen is that I just buy a rack and load it up with different processors and what not to get the best possible recordings done.  Why not make a portable studio...can use it at home too.  Ask me this is a great investment.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2004, 09:51:56 PM »
Also what about an Aphex Aural Exciter to add even more to the recordings before they reach the recorder?  With the kind of access I have at these local venues I can bring as much stuff as I care too really, so this is becoming more insane than I had expected.

Personally, I'd first run:

Mics > Mixer / gain > JB3

This will give you a baseline of how your mics / mixer / gain / JB3 sound.  You may love the setup as is!!  I'd then identify what qualities I like and don't like in the recording and modify my gear accordingly to refine the sound closer to what I really want - whether that means adding tube processing, including an Aphex Aural Exciter, changing mics / different pre, introducing an external ADC, etc.  Tough to tell, IMO, whether you'll even want the tube processor, or AAE, or anything else until you give it a go.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2004, 02:11:45 AM »
Good point.  I'll test a few different configs and see how it sounds.  I'll be recording hardcore punk and experimental bands mostly with this setup so we'll see what properties add to the recordings.

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2004, 10:07:28 AM »
1 of my favorite tapes I've made was with 4 mics:

4mic mix, 10' DFC from stage: AKG 391(ortf) + [MG m200(x/y)> PS2> AD20]> MOTU828> DP3
I slaved the MOTU to external sync to avoid timing/adc issues then mixed everything down in post.

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=10158

the water's clean and innocent

Offline m.mouse

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2004, 08:18:30 AM »

A mixer, in my opinion is the only way to do it. You need to look at ENG mixers, these are designed for this task. See Glenn Trew's article on Eng mixers. It's several years old, and a bit out of date, but still informative.

http://www.trewaudio.com/sound_on_location1.htm

You want low clarity? Use a good quality omni microphone. You'll get a nice flat frequency response with a range that will knock your socks off. How about 4 Hz to 40 KHz +/- 1 dB? Low enough for you? That's what the Earthworks QTC-1 is rated (and does). You need to go check out a couple of my shows on archive.org where I used multiple mics with a mixer. Then you'll get an appreciation for the range of the music and how when done correctly, can sound great.

All were done with 4 mics (2 QTC-1 mics spread 1 metre with 2 SR-77 mics in the middle) feed into a Wendt X4 mixer. The stereo feed out of the mixer was then put into the AD2K+, then to my DAT recorder. Check out a song or two, then decide for yourself if it's worth all the effort (I think it is).

Wayne

Wayne,

Four mics? This is something I'd like to experiment with!

But do I really need a full featured mixer? Seems to me if I let the ORTF pair define left and right channels the normal way, then all I'll ever need is to blend in a little left omni into the left channel and correspondingly on the right: a little right side omni into the right side cardioid.  Or will this simple approach yield inferior result?

Mike
CK91 ->sbm-1 ->M1
DIYomni -> M1

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2004, 09:48:43 AM »
But do I really need a full featured mixer? Seems to me if I let the ORTF pair define left and right channels the normal way, then all I'll ever need is to blend in a little left omni into the left channel and correspondingly on the right: a little right side omni into the right side cardioid.  Or will this simple approach yield inferior result?

You need to mix somehow. One method is to run two rigs and then in a DAW mix them, or a similar approach is to use a multitrack recorder and mix later. Regardless, somehow you got to get that blend of the omnis into the cards. I just happen to use a mixer on-location (although this now is not something I'm doing with the DEVA IV).

The joy of recording is experimentation. One of the things I hate about most tapers is they are afraid of taking chances with their recording methods. I hear way too often somebody say something like "So, and So told me to do X, and he gets some kick-ass tapes"... There are guidelines out there sure, but don't be afraid to loose a show or two by playing around. It's all part of the process in my mind. Too much technique and not enough experimenting, it's from experimenting that you learn the best methods and usually you discover along the way, why something does or doesn't work.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2004, 11:03:10 PM »
Behringer makes mixers that you can purchase for very cheap, there is even one that you can run on batteries for $100.  I have a Behringer mixer that I run for electronic music production and it's extremely transparent and does not color the sound.  I'd possibly recommend getting an external pre-amp though if you're uneasy about using one from a Behringer mixer.  IMO they work great and are a good compact solution to this sort of situation.  The only reason I'm looking into other options is because I want a warmer sound than digital recording produces, but for straight digital recording one of these mixers will get the job done.

Offline m.mouse

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2004, 08:22:35 AM »
Behringer makes mixers that you can purchase for very cheap, there is even one that you can run on batteries for $100.  I have a Behringer mixer that I run for electronic music production and it's extremely transparent and does not color the sound.  I'd possibly recommend getting an external pre-amp though if you're uneasy about using one from a Behringer mixer.  IMO they work great and are a good compact solution to this sort of situation.  The only reason I'm looking into other options is because I want a warmer sound than digital recording produces, but for straight digital recording one of these mixers will get the job done.

I agree that with four mics it's nice to have the full capability of a regular four channel mixer. But my application would based on a pair of directional mics for two-channel stereo, just as I do today. This pair would contribute the majority of the sound and do so without any hole-in-the middle effect.

Then in addition I'd blend in a little full range ambience from the left and right omnis. I may be hugely mistaken but I would have suspected that the optimal mixer setting would be so as to blend in a little left omni into the left cardioid and a little right omni into the right cardioid. If that is correct then it's my understanding that the mixer I need would fit inside a matchbox. 
CK91 ->sbm-1 ->M1
DIYomni -> M1

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com