Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Guns on 13th row  (Read 4974 times)

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
Guns on 13th row
« on: December 22, 2004, 11:48:52 PM »
Anyone ever tried using shotguns as close as the 13th row. I got some crazy ideas in my head. Just wondering how crazy this idea is.
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
Re: Guns on 13th row
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 12:50:16 AM »
Might think about a reword after the shooting of Dimebag.

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 06:43:34 AM »
Anyone ever tried using shotguns as close as the 13th row. I got some crazy ideas in my head. Just wondering how crazy this idea is.
You will want to use slugs over shot for sure.
The shot will lose its umph by the time it makes it to stage lip.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 09:45:58 AM »
I taped 10/9 and 10/10/82 from an insanely close range with CP4's, up high too. Still some of my fav's.

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 12:44:27 PM »
guns always sound too "tunnely" for me. Personally that close I would say run cardioid or sub-cardioid for a nice soundstage and more natural sound. Just IMHO of course.
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

hexyjones

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2004, 01:20:42 PM »
guns always sound too "tunnely" for me. Personally that close I would say run cardioid or sub-cardioid for a nice soundstage and more natural sound. Just IMHO of course.

I think it's hit or miss with guns...moreso than with other patterns...you can make a wonderful recording with them...but you can also get some pretty screwed up blends...ie. "tunnely"...like you're listening to music through paper towel tubes...

Offline ts

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2004, 06:23:25 PM »
No, it's hit or miss with angles and degrees. Not so much with just pointing at the stack. Good guns are not "tunnelly". Maybe AT's are.  But Naks and Neumanns are not.

hexyjones

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2004, 08:11:20 PM »
No, it's hit or miss with angles and degrees. Not so much with just pointing at the stack.

What does that mean?

Offline ts

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2004, 03:47:42 PM »
Means that it's easier to point guns at the inside edge or outside edge of PA, and not worry about any angles, degrees or patterns when using cards or even hypers. Thats all I meant. Plus results are very predictable in most situations.

BobW

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2004, 12:30:29 AM »
Means that it's easier to point guns at the inside edge or outside edge of PA, and not worry about any angles, degrees or patterns when using cards or even hypers. Thats all I meant. Plus results are very predictable in most situations.

I'd fear nailing a mid or top-end array and missing the bass or vice-versa.

I don't have enough experience with them to swear to it, tho'.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2004, 11:34:22 PM »
I use guns.  The best place to be upclose is being stationed directly in front the stacks.  Mine grab the lows better than the ATs because they are 20-20,000 khz.  AT835s are tinny because I believe they are 50-20,000 khz.  I could be wrong. 

Stationed and pointed at the stack, your FOB will sound better than cards or omnis all day long.  That's because your recording is focused on the music instead of the crowd/music matrix.  If the fans are more into the mood of singing, like U2 or DMB shows, then being farther back is the best or going with cards or omnis up close.  If they are not a singing crowd, then the band should be your focal point.  Its all about directionality. That's just my 2 cents.

Offline Tim

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2004, 11:53:38 PM »
Its all about directionality. That's just my 2 cents.

and to me it's all about soundstage and imaging.... different strokes for different folks!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2004, 09:19:23 AM »

and to me it's all about soundstage and imaging.... different strokes for different folks!

unfortunately that is not allways possible..  ^^    meaning that you sometimes have to salvage a good tape from a situation that is lousy..  if it means getting a tape devoid of "imaging", yet one that sounds like a matrix (soundboard/aud)..  I say go for it.. 
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Tim

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2004, 11:02:07 AM »

unfortunately that is not allways possible.. ^^ meaning that you sometimes have to salvage a good tape from a situation that is lousy.. if it means getting a tape devoid of "imaging", yet one that sounds like a matrix (soundboard/aud).. I say go for it..

well of course. but from the 13th row I think you could get the best of both worlds...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2004, 11:33:54 AM »
tru dat tim...  from the 13th youll get a soundboard/aud(80/20) that wont be too bad(especially with s-guns)..  id rather be some rows back for some spacial detail and soundstage tho...
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2004, 11:18:41 PM »
I have run cards from 7th row in an amphitheatre and gotten incredible imaging and a crisp tape...

I would be surprised if you didnt get a "tunnel tape" from running shotguns that close

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2004, 03:28:36 PM »
You would get "tunnel tape" if you were in the 7th row w/ your guns, stuck between the stacks.  That's why its imperative for a Gun taper to buy tickets in front of the stacks when close.  I use my AT853RX, omnis, if I was that close, between the stacks.  But that's just my strategy. 

Offline trippingjonny

• Taperssection Regular
  • GO SOX!!!!
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2005, 07:33:14 PM »
I use guns.  The best place to be upclose is being stationed directly in front the stacks.  Mine grab the lows better than the ATs because they are 20-20,000 khz.  AT835s are tinny because I believe they are 50-20,000 khz.  I could be wrong. 

Stationed and pointed at the stack, your FOB will sound better than cards or omnis all day long.  That's because your recording is focused on the music instead of the crowd/music matrix.  If the fans are more into the mood of singing, like U2 or DMB shows, then being farther back is the best or going with cards or omnis up close.  If they are not a singing crowd, then the band should be your focal point.  Its all about directionality. That's just my 2 cents.

the differenct bewtween 20 and 50 hz is not  gonna make a tape sound tinny. unless u have great subs u cant even hear much below 50hz besides muddy crap 835s are tinny because is a cheap capsule.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com