Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Have some money, wanna buy new mics  (Read 4314 times)

Offline desert_rat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Archiving shows in the desert
Have some money, wanna buy new mics
« on: January 11, 2005, 05:00:33 PM »

I have about $1000 burning a hole in my pocket, and I'd like to get some feedback on good mics in that price range. Currently this is my setup:

CSB > battery box > M1 (oade)

Everything I do is stealth, so I'm looking for a comparable size mic to the CSB. I almost always try and do a FOS recording, and nearly all of the bands I tape are rock. I've heard COS SANKEN, MBHO, HEBs, all nice recordings. Anyone have experience with these good or bad? Can anyone recommend a different brand in that price range?

Sorry if this is has been posted 1000x before.

Thanks in advance for the help
Check out my trade page:
http://www.geocities.com/jssmet

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Let's go Pens!
Re: Have some money, wanna buy new mics
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 05:11:30 PM »
DPA 4061s are good stealth mics and can be had for under a grand.
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 06:16:23 PM »
DPA 4061s are good stealth mics and can be had for under a grand.

yeah, I got mine on ebay for approx $300.  New they are like $700 or so.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline desert_rat

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 06:50:19 PM »

How do they get their power? Same style of battery box as the CSBs?
Check out my trade page:

thierryhenry

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 10:10:41 PM »
Ever considered Audix's? They probably are a little more expensive, but still under 1k, they are stealthable full body mics..Great sound..

Offline KingReptile

• Taperssection Member
  • Injection is Nice I'd Rather Be Blown----
    • http://www.angelfire.com/music5/d8maniac/KingReptile_home
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 11:43:59 PM »
At Oade you can get Dpa 4061's for $700 and battery box for $140 Doug will modify the box for $50.00..Which will work great with that modded M-1 you have..I would be happy to torrent any of my recordings with the Dpas with the moded D100..

thierryhenry

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 07:14:43 AM »
Yeah DPA's are quality mics..won't be disappointed.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 07:38:46 AM »

How do they get their power? Same style of battery box as the CSBs?

You can also solder both mics to a stereo mini-plug, and run them with a Sound Professionals battery box.  I have been told, by people that know way way more about it than I, that Sound Professionals battery boxes, by happenstance, put out the correct amount of power for DPA's, and are safe.  Not necessarily true for other company's battery boxes (except DPA's, obviously...)

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline desert_rat

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 04:40:42 PM »

Anyone reading this thread have experience with SANKEN COS-11? I have some specific questions that I can probably ask offline if someone has a spare 20 minutes.

I have recordings done with SANKEN and DPA 4061, and I'd have to lean to the SANKENS as the better sounding. I realize that it all depends on the venues and band.

Check out my trade page:

thierryhenry

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 06:10:47 PM »
Never heard of those before, but definitely whenever comparing microphones and sources alot depends on the location, the venue, and many other things that just that "this tape was done with DPA's and this with yadada."

Offline Weazel

• Taperssection Regular
  • sp-cmc-8-> DIY BB -> Iriver IHP120 (rockbox)
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 08:56:35 PM »
hmmm searched in google for those sanken mics, pretty intresting.
-[ pop goes the weazel ...]-

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2005, 09:44:09 PM »
AT853RX are great stealth mics too.  Pfife has a set in the Yard Sale.  They require phantom power and a preamp.

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2005, 01:40:36 AM »
Might want to poke around the "stealthing very loud metal shows" thread here, alot of different info in that topic about good stealth setups.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2005, 09:33:23 PM »

Anyone reading this thread have experience with SANKEN COS-11? I have some specific questions that I can probably ask offline if someone has a spare 20 minutes.

I have recordings done with SANKEN and DPA 4061, and I'd have to lean to the SANKENS as the better sounding. I realize that it all depends on the venues and band.

hey jeff :)
if you're talking about aaron's tool shows, they're not worth comparing anything to. he EQ'd the shit out of em.
also, there have been no head-to-head comps that i'm aware of... get a hold of one, if it exists, and start your judgment from there.
check my very early posts on this site - i mentioned trying the sankens myself! there is nothing stealthier overall, however, than the mini dpas.
arm

Offline desert_rat

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2005, 11:12:37 PM »
Hey Armen

I was thinking of shows in the Metallica trading circle. The fillmore shows the COS-11 source sounded better than the DPA4061s in my opinion.  Also just got two COS-11 sources from Japan 11/03, and they are stunning in my opinion. I've heard quite a few DPA 4061 sources from various tapers, bands, and venues, and they don't seem to be as "warm" as the COS-11s in my opinion.  A little boomy as well.

I'm talking to a local dealer now about COS-11s, if something falls through, I'll probably end up going with the DPAs.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'd +T everyone, but I don't think I have enough posts to do that  yet.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 11:26:25 PM by desert_rat »
Check out my trade page:

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2005, 01:27:03 PM »
there are several versions of the cos-11s. if moke wasn't such an old coot, he would remember more of the differences between the models. (ouch... expect armen to get a SEVERE ass-whooping the next time moke sees him!)
(by the way, moke, a cos-11 user i know just moved to the lbc. if i ever make it down past santa monica, i'll let both of you know!)
jeff, i know it's hard to do when sanken sources are so rare, but in comparing rigs, there's much more to consider than the mics. what were the rest of the respective rigs and transfer info? i know that at least one 4061 source was severely messed with (to detriment or benefit, i don't know) before release to the public.
also, from what i've heard, japanese tapers really have their shit together. a lot of 406x users around here do not. take that for what you will, as well...
i'll take the pepsi challenge with my 4061s any day of the week, but i definitely wouldn't mind borrowing some sankens to try em out and form a better-informed opinion.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.189 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com