Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stealthable mikes for UA5>JB3?  (Read 11355 times)

urobouros

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Stealthable mikes for UA5>JB3?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2005, 10:45:11 AM »
Now, also keep in mind that I don't necessarily tape where there's gestapo security, but I have taped in a number of places where it was specifically prohibited, and announced so over the PA ahead of time.  I've also taped shows where I've seen other people get busted too.

I love the recordings with the "no recording devices" announcements.  ;D

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2005, 05:15:49 PM »
In all seriouness, stealthing a UA-5 is far more trouble than it would ever be worth.  Between the unit and the battery pack, it's a lot of weight and space.  You're better off looking at the Spasm-2 from sound pros or maybe a sonosax.

Thanks a lot for the input. n my specific case, I'm not too concerned about getting things through the door. Door security and in-club security are two different things altogether here in Stockholm.
What I usually do is call in and get a photo pass beforehand. That is usually no problem with smaller clubs, since I contribute with pics for an online magazine.
So i just drop my rig in the camera bag, put in a fake double bottom, and the snap-n-shoot on top of it. When the bouncers open it, they don't bother fussing  with me. But once inside, a photo pass won't save me if in caught red-handed holding a stand. That's why I want mikes small enough to clip on or hide inside a Kangol (frame mounted, as the great DIY example in the rig pics).

So can we get back on topic? If the UA5 provides 48V power - do I still need bodies to the mikes? Or is there any way I could just connect the caps to the cables, and plug it straight into the UA5??? Where do the active cables come in - or are they not necessary at all with a UA5?

+T's all over to you guys if I'd figure out how to do it (maybe I'm not authorized yet, I need to post more first?!)

/Jan
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2005, 05:34:28 PM »
FWIW, I've stealthed with my V3 in the same fashion as PFife.  But I've also been busted - turned in by an over-zealous fan.  Oh, well.
I've stealthed w/ a mics>148>sbm>d7 and mics>MME>D7 before  ;D
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2005, 05:52:14 PM »
You'll need bodies unless you get smaller mics...
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

urobouros

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2005, 06:07:04 PM »
So can we get back on topic? If the UA5 provides 48V power - do I still need bodies to the mikes? Or is there any way I could just connect the caps to the cables, and plug it straight into the UA5??? Where do the active cables come in - or are they not necessary at all with a UA5?

Certain caps are active and others are not.  I don't know anything about actives myself, but search on the mic forum and the archive.  You'll find more than you ever wanted to know.

Offline sunjan

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2005, 06:12:35 PM »
You'll need bodies unless you get smaller mics...

OK, looking into the archive, this post made a lot of sense to me:
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=15247
The only thing that puzzles me in the pictures here is the Y-cable for 2xXLR->1x iniplug. That shouldn't really be required for plugging into a UA5? Or is the Y-cable just an optional, when you want to bypass the UA5 altogether, or plug into some other gear?

So in my case, I figure phantom powered mikes are the way to go for UA5!
I'd be looking for microphones that come with XLR connectors, but I guess most do, anyway.
But can someone explain to me what the mic bodies "do" in this setup, to a technical moron like me?

Thanks again for your patience!

urobouros

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2005, 06:53:03 PM »
OK, looking into the archive, this post made a lot of sense to me:
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=15247
The only thing that puzzles me in the pictures here is the Y-cable for 2xXLR->1x iniplug. That shouldn't really be required for plugging into a UA5? Or is the Y-cable just an optional, when you want to bypass the UA5 altogether, or plug into some other gear?

So in my case, I figure phantom powered mikes are the way to go for UA5!
I'd be looking for microphones that come with XLR connectors, but I guess most do, anyway.
But can someone explain to me what the mic bodies "do" in this setup, to a technical moron like me?

Thanks again for your patience!

The Y-cable is for using the mics with a batt box, not with the UA-5.  As far as what the mic bodies do, I can't help you there.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2005, 07:00:49 PM »
Check out this brand spanking new post:

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=33658.0

You can discount the Sound Pros mics listed b/c (I think) they're basically the caps from the AT853Rx's modified to run on 9v battery power instead of 48v phantom power.  Looks like the only mics in your price range for stealthing - other than the Audix Micro 1245 (which I forgot to add) - are the AT853Rx.  Not a lot of inexpensive stealth options - stealth mics are expensive, unfortunately!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline sunjan

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2005, 07:19:20 PM »

You can discount the Sound Pros mics listed b/c (I think) they're basically the caps from the AT853Rx's modified to run on 9v battery power instead of 48v phantom power.  Looks like the only mics in your price range for stealthing - other than the Audix Micro 1245 (which I forgot to add) - are the AT853Rx.  Not a lot of inexpensive stealth options - stealth mics are expensive, unfortunately!

Brilliant guide, Brian!

In the mic section, what is your criteria for stealthable? Any cap+body less than 100 mm? Or more like 50 mm?
The 1245s are 45mm long, so they would squeeze in. How big are the ATs?

Between the 1245s and the AT853Rx, what would you guys go for?

Thanks,

Jan

PS. I was just wondering, is there any particular reason you left out Core Sounds and SP from the shopping list? Or are there just too many retailers to list them all!?

Offline sunjan

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2005, 07:33:13 PM »

In the mic section, what is your criteria for stealthable? Any cap+body less than 100 mm? Or more like 50 mm?
The 1245s are 45mm long, so they would squeeze in. How big are the ATs?

I found the answer to my own question in the spec sheet on AT's web: the AT853Rx is 35.2 mm, definitely stealthable!

Jan

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2005, 12:56:56 AM »

Uhmmmm...nothing so specific, just whether or not it seems people actively use them for stealth activity.

I was just wondering, is there any particular reason you left out Core Sounds and SP from the shopping list? Or are there just too many retailers to list them all!?

There's some Sound Pros stuff in there - mics and battery box (w/ or w/o gain / bass rolloff).  I just didn't think of Core-Sound (oops, how did I ever forget them?).  ;)  And, on second thought, I ougta include Giant Squid and a couple other very inexpensive options.  Thanks for the heads up!
Roland R-05

Offline KingReptile

• Taperssection Member
  • Injection is Nice I'd Rather Be Blown----
    • http://www.angelfire.com/music5/d8maniac/KingReptile_home
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2005, 01:17:18 AM »
What ya guys think At 853s or Audix Micros 1245?? I have been kicking it around getting a set of cards myself..I currently run Dpa 4061s now but am looking at running 2 rigs at some shows...

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2005, 01:20:37 AM »
What ya guys think At 853s or Audix Micros 1245?? I have been kicking it around getting a set of cards myself..I currently run Dpa 4061s now but am looking at running 2 rigs at some shows...

I've not heard enough of the 1245s, but the swappable caps on the AT853s are awfully appealing - inexpensive way to add hypers, sub-cards, cards, etc. to the arsenal.
Roland R-05

Offline sunjan

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2005, 06:20:12 AM »

I've not heard enough of the 1245s, but the swappable caps on the AT853s are awfully appealing - inexpensive way to add hypers, sub-cards, cards, etc. to the arsenal.

Are the sub-cards closer to omnis (ie more forgiving for movements)?
I was toying with the idea of getting an omni set too (for upfront, small club gigs). But perhaps it's better to get a separate set of omnis rather than replacable caps - I understand that there are more options of stealthable omnis, somehow it's easier to make them small?!

Jan

Offline sunjan

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2005, 06:22:29 AM »

Uhmmmm...nothing so specific, just whether or not it seems people actively use them for stealth activity.

I was just wondering, is there any particular reason you left out Core Sounds and SP from the shopping list? Or are there just too many retailers to list them all!?

There's some Sound Pros stuff in there - mics and battery box (w/ or w/o gain / bass rolloff).  I just didn't think of Core-Sound (oops, how did I ever forget them?).  ;)  And, on second thought, I ougta include Giant Squid and a couple other very inexpensive options.  Thanks for the heads up!

BTW, Brian. Should we post suggestions/additions to your shopping guide privately instead? I noticed the reply-function is disabled in that part of the forum. I noticed the Core Sounds 2496 is conspicuosly missing... etc etc. How would you like to have the feedback?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com