Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MCA Large Diaphragm - Bargain or Bust?  (Read 2374 times)

Offline d5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
MCA Large Diaphragm - Bargain or Bust?
« on: January 16, 2005, 09:12:21 AM »
MCA SP1 Large Diaphragm Microphones

http://www.mcamics.com/

First off, does anyone have any first hand experience with these microphones? They are very inexpensive, about $50 per mic and appear come from Marshall Electronics with a lower price than the MXL's. According to a thread on rec.audio.pro, it shares the same 20mm gold sputtered capsule as the MXL603. The fact that it's 20mm also raised some questions as to whether it should actually qualify as a "large diaphragm" microphone.

The thing that grabbed my attention was that Jim Williams was impressed by the quality has worked up mod's for them, although it isn't listed on his site.  At $50, plus another $125 for the mod, they seem like a steal.

Thoughts, comments?
JW mod AKG 460/ck61's > Sound Devices 702

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
Re: MCA Large Diaphragm - Bargain or Bust?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 04:42:36 PM »
Hey now,
I've researched these mics a little. They are the same as the marshall mxl 1006 series. The SP2 is the equivalent of the mxl 1006bp and the SP1 is the equivalent of the mxl 1006. There aren't too many around anymore (new), so I would try to get the newer version mxl 1006 mic if I were you. They can also be found for around $50/each. Many reviews are very good for these mics, and say that they are definitely the best LD mics in that price range. I think a member here called VA Taper uses / used to use these mics and could give you a mp3 link perhaps.
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline alienbobz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: MCA Large Diaphragm - Bargain or Bust?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 11:02:26 PM »
Used the MXL 1006 BP's for about six months. Nice mics, but I would recommend a pre amp of some kind. Some of my recordings came out very soft with just the 9v running them. If the SP1 sounds like the MXL's then you will enjoy them. Also, here is the link to VA_Taper's MXL recording (the one that made me buy them):

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=14051
-Out of the game for a bit, probably forever-

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:
Behringer C-2s, Marshall MXL 1006BPs, Naiant MSH-1s

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com