Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audio Technica 4050 , has anyone used em here/??  (Read 3840 times)

Ray76

• Trade Count: (0)
Audio Technica 4050 , has anyone used em here/??
« on: April 18, 2005, 11:30:55 AM »
The Army band I work for has about 20 of these mics they are about to upgrade from for their studio and im gettin a pair, they are multi pattern condenser mics. anyone ever used em??

Ray

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Audio Technica 4050 , has anyone used em here/??
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 12:35:58 PM »
I've not used them myself, and haven't heard any field recordings, but I've seen some bands use 'em on stage.  I believe Del McCoury uses one, or maybe they use the fixed card 4030.  My bro used the 4050s for some studio work as well.  Nice mics!  But not positive how they'd perform for field recording.  If they're upgrading and letting 'em go for a good price, worth checking out!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Ray76

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 12:45:50 PM »
I've not used them myself, and haven't heard any field recordings, but I've seen some bands use 'em on stage.  I believe Del McCoury uses one, or maybe they use the fixed card 4030.  My bro used the 4050s for some studio work as well.  Nice mics!  But not positive how they'd perform for field recording.  If they're upgrading and letting 'em go for a good price, worth checking out!

yeah the multi pattern thing is cool , and since im getting em for next to nothing, i will definitely not pass it up. thanks Brian, as always bud.

+T ray

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 07:04:49 PM »
I recall some moe shows on Lama that were done with these mics......
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Ray76

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 03:59:36 AM »
i will ask around bud, i know they are gonna hook me up with two, but who knows...

Ray

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 02:57:00 PM »
There is a retired taper here in Texas who ran the 4050's and 4051's for many many years with good results.  While these are no 480's or mk4v's they are a well-rounded and reliable mic.  Not real hard to 'f' up with them.  If you got a great deal then i'd run the hell out of them.  FWIW, the taper was running them into a MV100 > DAP1.  I'll see if any of his tapes are online.  I believe he taped a good amount of early disco biscuit shows with the rig.

OFOTD

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 03:01:00 PM »
I LOVE 4050's for both studio and live use.  If you can get any more at serious discounts PLEASE let me know.  I can always use a few more of these mics.  They are pristine on acoustic guitar!!!!

h
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Ray76

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 03:41:15 PM »
There is a retired taper here in Texas who ran the 4050's and 4051's for many many years with good results.  While these are no 480's or mk4v's they are a well-rounded and reliable mic.  Not real hard to 'f' up with them.  If you got a great deal then i'd run the hell out of them.  FWIW, the taper was running them into a MV100 > DAP1.  I'll see if any of his tapes are online.  I believe he taped a good amount of early disco biscuit shows with the rig.

OFOTD

I will see what they got and keep yall posted. As of right now, im only gettin two, and dont know what they plan on doin with the rest.
Ray

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 07:40:51 AM »

OFOTD

I will see what they got and keep yall posted. As of right now, im only gettin two, and dont know what they plan on doin with the rest.
Ray

definitely let us know.  I'd be ready to send cash out in a heartbeat if there were enough of em left and the price was super nice  ;D

The Upstream Mend

Offline ScottT

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 12:12:10 PM »
Curious to know if there may be any updates on the possibility of getting a pair of these?

I patched from a AT4051> V2> ADC20 rig for an Allman Brothers show 8/25/00 Madison, WI Blues Fest.  They did a great job for less than ideal positioning in a crowded outdoor venue on the lake.
Mics: Schoeps mk22, mk41, mk8, ADK TLs
Pres: V2, Busman-mod UA5
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-70d, Tascam DR-07

"Push out the jive. Bring in the love." - C.M. Burns

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 12:34:21 PM »
Curious to know if there may be any updates on the possibility of getting a pair of these?

I patched from a AT4051> V2> ADC20 rig for an Allman Brothers show 8/25/00 Madison, WI Blues Fest.  They did a great job for less than ideal positioning in a crowded outdoor venue on the lake.

difference being a 4051 is a small diaphragm mic.

4050's are large diaphragm multi-pattern mics

The Upstream Mend

Ray76

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 01:08:24 PM »
I dont know how long itll take or how many I can get, other than the two I have for myself, but IF I can get em , I promise yall 3 have dibs. I plan to run these mics in a 4 mic mix this weekend.

Ray

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2005, 02:35:30 PM »
Nice offer ray, gotta love Gov't surplus.  well if they give you a bunch i'd let you beat me up for a pair  ;D  I know you always wanted to kick this yankee's ass haha.
mics & cameras

Ray76

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2005, 02:53:19 PM »
Nice offer ray, gotta love Gov't surplus.  well if they give you a bunch i'd let you beat me up for a pair  ;D  I know you always wanted to kick this yankee's ass haha.

I wouldnt harm a hair on your head hoss.

Ray

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.364 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com