Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Are the C4s worth the extra $$$?

Yes
8 (72.7%)
No
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Superlux SMKH8K or Studio Projects C4? Are the C4s worth the extra $$$?  (Read 2599 times)

Offline Bdifr78

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Alright I have been doing my research and I believe I have narrowed my search for my first set of mics down to 2.  Either the Superlux SMKHK8 or the Studio Projects C4.  I am going to use a JB3 and at first a cheap phantom power pack but later if I get more serious about this I would upgrade to a digi mod UA-5.  I have read good things about both of these mic/kits and am basically wondering if the Studio Projects are worth the extra money.  I have the money to spend, but it seems like I would be paying about $120 for the Superlux on Ebay and about $320 for the C4s just about anywhere.  The C4s include both the cards and the omnis while the Superlux only includes the cards.  Tell me what you think.  Thanks for any input.

Joe
Neumann KM140s>Bumblebee MIAGI-II XLRs>Lunatec V3>SD722

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
I've ran both. If you know you're going to be taping A LOT then the c4's are worth it. If you think you're gonna be hitting up shows every now and then, grab the luxes, you can always upgrade in the future.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Bdifr78

• Taperssection All-Star
I've ran both. If you know you're going to be taping A LOT then the c4's are worth it. If you think you're gonna be hitting up shows every now and then, grab the luxes, you can always upgrade in the future.

I am gonna hit up at least two outdoor festivals this summer and depending on who is in the area I also see between 2-5 club shows a months.  Can you comment on the difference in sound between the two?

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
the omni's could be fun for the outside shows, however, i don't think they sell hypers for the c4, where they do for the lux's.  hypers are great for the club shows in my opinion.  one thing to note, the caps for the lux's will be around $100 a set (personally i think they're worth it if you go that option).

so i guess thats another thing to look at - superluxes with cards/omnis/hypers for the same price as c4's with just omnis/cards.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Bdifr78

• Taperssection All-Star

so i guess thats another thing to look at - superluxes with cards/omnis/hypers for the same price as c4's with just omnis/cards.

Ahh...thats some very good thinking there.  I see a lot of club shows throughout the course of the year, many more than outdoor. I haven't really done much research into hypers or sub cards.  So if hypers are the way to go for clubs then I certainly need to make that consideration.  Thanks.

Oh and by the way Al Swearengen is currently my favorite TV character of all time.  It's not TV...

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
you should check out the "team lux" thread in the team boards.  lots of information about the superluxes in there.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Bdifr78

• Taperssection All-Star
Superlux SMKH8K or Studio Projects C4? Are the C4s worth the extra $$$?
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 10:42:14 AM »
Ok so I posted this lastnight in the Ask the Tapers board and realize I might be better off putting it here.  So here it is again.

Alright I have been doing my research and I believe I have narrowed my search for my first set of mics down to 2.  Either the Superlux SMKHK8 or the Studio Projects C4.  I am going to use a JB3 and at first a cheap phantom power pack but later if I get more serious about this I would upgrade to a digi mod UA-5.  I have read good things about both of these mic/kits and am basically wondering if the Studio Projects are worth the extra money.  I have the money to spend, but it seems like I would be paying about $120 for the Superlux on Ebay and about $320 for the C4s just about anywhere.  The C4s include both the cards and the omnis while the Superlux only includes the cards.  Tell me what you think.  Thanks for any input.

Joe

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
The superlux's sounded like all the other cheap sd chinese mic: a little high frequency boost, kinda sloping lowend. I have found more detail in the c4's; the lowend seems a little rounder, not necessarily fatter. I think the caps are made better too. Somewhat of a warm mic, the omni's are real warm.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Ray76

BTW, I just made a tape using the c4s of son volt, and have gotten a couple compliments from folks who said it sounded real good. its in the kickdown section, if you wanna chack it out.

Ray

Offline neumannkid

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Shows Ive taped on the archive
Heres a pair of C4's for 257$ in yard sale
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=39378.0;topicseen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com