Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cheapy Mics, part 33 1/3  (Read 1634 times)

Offline mfisch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Cheapy Mics, part 33 1/3
« on: May 12, 2005, 12:27:09 AM »
okay, originally I posted asking for starter mic recommendations in the 200-300 range
I've got no tapirience -- but at 2 shows a week it cant take long to figure things out .....

I plan to vary between acoustic and electric band configurations -- but I expect to be mostly in the small to medium sized indoor venues (I dont want to be lost outside though!).

A few people suggested the Studio Project C4 kit (nice toy set it is and all).

My rig is an FA-101 recording at 24/96khz with a frequency response of 20 to 40k hz, the C4's have a range of 40 to 20k hz.
How quickly am I going to be disappointed? Before I go for it I want to make sure I'm not going to end up putting good money after bad before I know it.

Any suggestions if I decide I'll sink up to 500 into a pair (including accessories)?
SP C4's > FA-101 > MacMini
whats wrong with lead?

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
Re: Cheapy Mics, part 33 1/3
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 06:02:28 PM »
Ive only listened to a few c4 shows..but I think you will be pleasantly surprised by these mics.  however, if you want a lower end...find some akg 300 series..you can get a set for around 350-400 (depending on which caps you get)...they will have the low end for you.  But with the pleathora of caps in the c4 set...its hard to beat to learn on...OR...you could jump up a little bit more and i have seen a few sets of the ADK TL's going in the yard sale for around 600...this will give you a variety of options to run...and they sound excellent.  the downside to that is the size and weight....its all about choices....i would say go listen to alot from the archive and find ones that you like...dont go just on the specs...you might miss a good sounding pair of mics.

good luck with what ever you get!!!
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline peterbilt

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 12:39:51 AM »
I don't know if it's rude to push my own stuff here, but I do have 3- Nakamichi 300's for sale with omni and cardioid caps for sale in the yard. I love 'em, but I need the cash. :(

Offline mfisch

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 11:29:43 AM »
nope, not rude -- but you are late :\

I purchased a pair of Studio Project C4's (from samash) to go along with my fa-101 (jacksmusicstore).
SP C4's > FA-101 > MacMini
whats wrong with lead?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com