Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Josephson C42 vs. neumann km184 vs. Peluso Stereo CEMC6  (Read 7790 times)

Offline save

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
Josephson C42 vs. neumann km184 vs. Peluso Stereo CEMC6
« on: June 22, 2005, 09:04:05 PM »
thinking about getting back into taping and can't decide which mics to buy.  haven't heard much from the Peluso Stereo CEMC6, but love the josephson & neumann tapes i've heard.  any suggestions and what pre's u think go best w/ them.

thanks,
justin
save

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
Re: Josephson C42 vs. neumann km184 vs. Peluso Stereo CEMC6
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 06:45:16 PM »
any suggestions ???
save

Ray76

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 06:52:05 PM »
many folks have used the neumanns. I have also heard much about the peluso mics. (ask nicks picks)
your ears will tell you the best though.
tony b has some km184s i think
Ray

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 12:39:50 PM »
the C42s are a great mic, I prefer then to 184s anyday....they are very close to vthe original km84 mic.

peace, chris
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 01:06:27 PM »
I can setup some CEMC6 downloads with the card, sub card and hyper caps.
you can also do a search on archive for "peluso" and you'll find two of those that are from me.

IMO, the card cap is not as nice as a 184.  but w/all the caps...it makes for a much nicer package than the fixed cap neumann.

plus, there is an active cable coming soon (fall)...and a vertical 3 pattern cap w/a figure of 8 (like the shchoeps mk6) in a year or so.

i've never heard the c42.  but I've only heard good things from others

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 06:53:11 PM »
thanks for the suggestions guys!  i'm leaning towards the peluso's right now do to their price...plus the recordings that nick has done sound pretty nice!  i love the c42's too....but they are a little more than i'd like to spend.
save

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 07:03:30 AM »
if you order a pair from soundpure...throw me a bone and mention you read my review and were swayed away from the neumanns.

that will get back to John Peluso....and encourage him to send me more gear to play with.
:-)

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 07:19:44 AM »
will do!  i emailed sales a few days ago and haven't heard back from them?  does it usually take a while to hear back from the guys at soundpure.com?  trying to see if they will take paypal payments?
save

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 07:52:00 AM »
I would guess that they do.  they are the ones selling on ebay.  so im' sure that they probably take PP there...so they must take it in general.

he'll get back to you.
but keep bugging...

Offline ehren

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Of course this is a taper ticket!
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 03:06:06 PM »
Hey all,

I used the Peluso's this weekend at Panic and I have to say I'm impressed. 1st night I ran them with a wmod+UA5, and Sunday I ran them with a PmodUA5. First let me say they do NOT sound like Scheops to my ears. I did not do a direct comparison but I did run cmc+mk4s for about 3 years and I've got a good feel for the general characteristics. The Pelusos seem to be a more even neutal sound to my ears. I liked the mics with both flavors of the UA5 and found neither to be too bright or too dark. The low end on these mics is extremely tight and focused with a nice neutral top end. The midrange detail is good but not quite as natural as say MGs. If I were to compare them to any other mic I would say they sound a lot like Earthworks SR77s but with a more realistic bottom end. They are a very hot mic which I like. Both shows I used them with I ran them DIN(20cm at 90º). I'm sure x/y could yield a brighter more up-front sound but I thought DIN was just fantastic sounding. So far I find them to be very accurate and neutral with just a little touch of brightness and a tight, tight bottom. Great mics regardless of price. More thoughts as I do more listening.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 04:01:38 PM »
agreed that they dont sound like cmc6/mk4.  Not quite the level of refined detail you get out of $1500 microphone.  But that bottom end is indeed very solid.  great punch.
the midrange is pretty nice, i thought.  its warm and smooth, but again, lacks comparred to the best there is.  Overall though, they fucking rock.  I've decided to keep my review set. 

to me, they sound like an mbho 603a but with a MUCH better bottom end.  way robust.

Offline ehren

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Of course this is a taper ticket!
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 05:50:08 PM »
agreed that they do have some MBHO like qualities, but from my first outing I can say they have a much more "real" sound than the MBHOs, not nearly as etched. This is another great choice for tapers out there looking to spend under $3000 for a pair of mics. Judging from the 2 shows I've done, I can't find anything about the mic that is really lacking or a glaring flaw.

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2005, 09:37:42 PM »
thanks for the update! 
save

BobW

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2005, 12:41:06 AM »
agreed that they dont sound like cmc6/mk4.  Not quite the level of refined detail you get out of $1500 microphone.  But that bottom end is indeed very solid.  great punch.
the midrange is pretty nice, i thought.  its warm and smooth, but again, lacks comparred to the best there is.  Overall though, they fucking rock.  I've decided to keep my review set. 

to me, they sound like an mbho 603a but with a MUCH better bottom end.  way robust.

???   I've never known the MHBOs to be bass-shy.  One of their best qualities.  That and imaging.
Oh yeah, and the mid-range, the mid range is good, especially for distance mic'ing.    ;D

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2005, 06:30:23 AM »
well...I guess i'm going back to my memory of 603a>inbox.
and there was little bass to it.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2005, 06:38:27 PM »
I'm curious to hear some head to head comparisions of the Peluso CEMC6's and the Studio Projects C4's.  Realistically, they aren't far off from each other price wise.  Big difference in the Peluso set is the additional caps.  But, a solid comparision of both the omni's and the cards would be interesting.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com