Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: balcony tripod/mount recommendations?  (Read 1685 times)

Offline dmaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • dance spaceghost dance!
    • ToriTraders
balcony tripod/mount recommendations?
« on: June 25, 2005, 01:40:24 PM »
I've determined that the majority of the bands I want to see, for whatever reason are going to inevitably play Great American Music Hall.   They mostly hate tapers as far as I can tell and gave me a super hard time with my full-size mic stand the last time I went there.    The last few times I've gone to the balcony and that's worked out just fine, except for having to faux-stealth the show, which is silly for taper-friendly acts.   So, for acts that are cool with taping, what kind of very wee tripods or other mounting systems are there?  Preferably something that can sit on a table or a balcony ledge or something like that. 

It might be lame, but i saw a very tiny camcorder tripod (about 6 inches tall) at the Sony store a while back that may or may not have the right thread to mount my t-bar on.   I'd be very interested in hearing what some other people are using in situations where they can't put a stand on the floor, but they don't "have to" stealth.    I know that getting at least a 10-12 inches away from people (and there's a good spot in the balcony at GAMH for this in the corner of the balcony) would be at least marginally better than sitting back and having them at head-level.   I just don't know what the best way would be, and more importantly where to find it.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: balcony tripod/mount recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 01:49:18 PM »
Perfect situation for a Bogen Superclamp!  A must-have for any taper, IMO.  I also use a custom extension bar in conjunction with the Superclamp, so I'm able to run the mics up, down, sideways (2'-10') from my position easily with zero floor footprint.  Even an inexpensive and readily available 18"-24" gooseneck extension will add some flexibility with the Superclamp. 
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline Bdifr78

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: balcony tripod/mount recommendations?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 10:59:18 PM »
Perfect situation for a Bogen Superclamp!  A must-have for any taper, IMO.  I also use a custom extension bar in conjunction with the Superclamp, so I'm able to run the mics up, down, sideways (2'-10') from my position easily with zero floor footprint.  Even an inexpensive and readily available 18"-24" gooseneck extension will add some flexibility with the Superclamp. 

If you go with the super clamp get the extra strong extension bar.  I got the standard one and if I want to clamp on a pole or any situation where the clamp is sideways, the standard extension bar doesn't really hold the weight of my mics(SPC4s) which is bullshit.  It just starts rotating down one way or the other.  I really need to find some sort of metal right angle stud adapter to throw into the superclamp and it would be perfect without the extension bar.

If you have a balcony ledge, or table that will work just get a standard 6 inch mic stand from a local music store or even Radio Shack.  Ya know it is a little stand with a round metal base and a 6 inch pole that has a 5/8" thread.  Should only be about $10.  That is what almost all of us use at the Funk Box in Baltimore.  That place is awesome for taping, you can't use a normal stand on the bottom floor because there is almost no freakin space for it in that small room, and the floor is spring loaded for dancin'.  But they have like a 14" ledge at the balcony which is probably only 15' from the stage and just above the top of the PA speakers!!!!!!!!!!! ;D  And they are sooooo taper friendly!

You gotta love a club run by a local jambandish production company.  Walther Productions, there the ones that put on All Good Festival.

Peace out,
Joe 
Neumann KM140s>Bumblebee MIAGI-II XLRs>Lunatec V3>SD722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com