Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic Config ? C4 vs. AKG 481's  (Read 6330 times)

Offline Gr8ful98

• Swamp Funk Junkie
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Harps & Drums
Mic Config ? C4 vs. AKG 481's
« on: July 02, 2005, 02:52:23 AM »
Newbie questions. 

My first mics are C4's...everyone I've met with C4's seems to run them XY.  I've been running mostly XY & having good results.

I'm getting a pair of AKG 480's w/ck61 caps...can anyone recommend a mic config for these mics?
I'll be running akg481>dmod ua5>jb3

Also...DIN: is that with the mics at a 90 degree angle away from each other?  How far apart should the mics be from each other?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and give them to me like I'm in kindergarden (simple & easy)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 08:48:53 AM by Gr8ful98 »
Namaste,
John Dude

AKG 481's>HYDRA Silver XLR's>Dmod UA5>JB3
Hat>OadeBros Micro Binaural>9vBattBox>JB3

<<<<iso CK62/63's>>>>

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • surly tapir
Re: Mic Config ? C4 vs. AKG 481's
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 03:34:04 AM »
dude.... with the akg's....  >:D

when i am ready for a upgrade, well actually my wallet, i am eyeing the 460's with 61, 62 and 63 caps and the bad ass a61 swivel things... caps will be incremental and so will a jw mod...

open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 07:45:38 AM »
Newbie questions.

My first mics are C4's...everyone I've met with C4's seems to run them XY. I've been running mostly XY & having good results.

I'm getting a pair of AKG 480's w/ck1 caps...can anyone recommend a mic config for these mics?

Also...DIN: is that with the mics at a 90 degree angle away from each other? How far apart should the mics be from each other?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and give them to me like I'm in kindergarden (simple & easy)

DIN is 90deg and 6.5" apart...but you can fudge it between 6 and 8 inches and pull a great tape.
XY will still sound good w/the 480s.  but you might prefer something w/some spacing as the mics are bright.

try them all out!
go tape a show in a venue you tape a lot at.  run one set XY, another DIN or ORTF ...and then let the results tell you whats good.
:)

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 07:46:11 AM »
There is a great feature on this site called the archive, and in that section is a great thread with a bunch of different links for info on mic configurations. Here's a shortcut.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=17514.0

To answer your question DIN is 90 at 20 apart and DINA is 90 at 17 apart. I think 481s sound great ORTF, DIN and DINA. I believe Doug Oade prefers the 481 XY. I usually don't like anything XY, but try all those out yourself and see what you like. +T on getting some great mics.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2005, 08:39:12 AM »
he's refering to centimeters, fwiw.

Offline Bdifr78

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2005, 02:37:56 PM »
Newbie questions. 

My first mics are C4's...everyone I've met with C4's seems to run them XY.  I've been running mostly XY & having good results.

I'm getting a pair of AKG 480's w/ck1 caps...can anyone recommend a mic config for these mics?

Also...DIN: is that with the mics at a 90 degree angle away from each other?  How far apart should the mics be from each other?

Dude, that is probably the upgrade I will go for when I get the money together.  Have you been able to establish a discernable difference in the results from the AGK 480s vs. the C4s?  I am sure you have.  If you wouldn't mind explaining what you hear I would really appriciate it.  I was just about to start a thread asking people what the noticable sound differnece would be between these two sets of mics.

Thanks,
Joe
Neumann KM140s>Bumblebee MIAGI-II XLRs>Lunatec V3>SD722

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2005, 07:30:54 PM »
you are going to hear a more refined sound.  more detail...and that classic AKG "sizzle" that makes things like percussion, ride cymbals, cowbells or blocks jump right out of your speakers and smack you in the face !
classic 480 sound.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2005, 09:09:38 PM »
you are going to hear a more refined sound. more detail...and that classic AKG "sizzle" that makes things like percussion, ride cymbals, cowbells or blocks jump right out of your speakers and smack you in the face !
classic 480 sound.

well put, and FWIW, i wouldnt personally EVER run 480's XY, i did it ONE set out of HUNDREDS XY and i really hated the results

if i am in a situation where id be better off running XY, i space the caps ate least 1-3inches and usually adjust the angle accordingly, usually 90* 3" spacing, or i tighten up the angle!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Gr8ful98

• Swamp Funk Junkie
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Harps & Drums
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005, 01:31:39 AM »
Thanks y'all,
   From reading these threads & some in the archive...it looks like ORTF or DIN is the way to go with cardoid caps.  DIN is the way to go with Hyper Caps.  Seems like most folks say to stay away from XY with akg481's Does this sound right?

I bought the mics from 'snoop' here on taperssection, nice dude, can't wait for them to arrive via fed ex so that I can drool all over them & start experimenting with new mic configs.

Here's another questions...in what situations should I run hyper card caps vs. cardiod caps?
Namaste,
John Dude

AKG 481's>HYDRA Silver XLR's>Dmod UA5>JB3
Hat>OadeBros Micro Binaural>9vBattBox>JB3

<<<<iso CK62/63's>>>>

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2005, 01:47:20 AM »
DIN/DINa/ORTF is the way to go w/ the 480's my man!

have phun :smoking:

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2005, 03:02:37 AM »
Thanks y'all,
   From reading these threads & some in the archive...it looks like ORTF or DIN is the way to go with cardoid caps.  DIN is the way to go with Hyper Caps.  Seems like most folks say to stay away from XY with akg481's Does this sound right?

I bought the mics from 'snoop' here on taperssection, nice dude, can't wait for them to arrive via fed ex so that I can drool all over them & start experimenting with new mic configs.

Here's another questions...in what situations should I run hyper card caps vs. cardiod caps?

hypers are when you are farther back... they are more directional, so you will eliminate more on the sides (but you get a little more junk in the trunk).  lots of peeps say they are wonderful for shitty sounding rooms...
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline Bdifr78

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2005, 10:14:24 AM »
Thanks y'all,

hypers are when you are farther back... they are more directional, so you will eliminate more on the sides (but you get a little more junk in the trunk).  lots of peeps say they are wonderful for shitty sounding rooms...

Edit-Are there situations where you would not want to use hypers?  Just the plain ol' cards maybe...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 01:25:36 PM by Bdifr78 »
Neumann KM140s>Bumblebee MIAGI-II XLRs>Lunatec V3>SD722

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2005, 01:00:07 PM »
cards should be run as close to the source as possible.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2005, 02:15:04 PM »
you are going to hear a more refined sound. more detail...and that classic AKG "sizzle" that makes things like percussion, ride cymbals, cowbells or blocks jump right out of your speakers and smack you in the face !
classic 480 sound.

well put, and FWIW, i wouldnt personally EVER run 480's XY, i did it ONE set out of HUNDREDS XY and i really hated the results

if i am in a situation where id be better off running XY, i space the caps ate least 1-3inches and usually adjust the angle accordingly, usually 90* 3" spacing, or i tighten up the angle!

Did you hear that ARU 10-22-04 481>wmodua5>jb3 recording?  it was XY at 110deg, and sounds freakin' awesome.
look on archive.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2005, 09:10:40 PM »
classic 480 sound.

Did you hear that ARU 10-22-04 481>wmodua5>jb3 recording? it was XY at 110deg, and sounds freakin' awesome.
look on archive.

the 110* thing looks nice, IF i ever ran them XY, it would be w/ an angle like that so you get some imaging out of the tape

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com