Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone using PZM mics for onstage recordings?  (Read 5763 times)

Offline hammerhorror

• Trade Count: (54)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hey good lookin'
Anyone using PZM mics for onstage recordings?
« on: July 11, 2005, 11:41:09 AM »
Seems to me that using PZM microphones would be ideal for onstage recordings. No mic stands to worry about and they are very low profile (and not terribly expensive). I was thinking about picking up a pair to experiment with. After doing some searches on this it seems like not very many people use them in the tapers circuit. Why is that?

Does anyone have any input on this? I would like to hear some of your opinions.

Thanks!
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & MK41, AKG CK63 (Naiant Actives)

Preamps: Naiant KCY Littlebox

Recorders: Sound Devices 664, Sony PCM-M10

Offline Weekendshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Anyone using PZM mics for onstage recordings?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 03:47:40 PM »
I like PZM's and use them alot but they need phantom power which may(not) be why we don't hear about them amongst tapers?   Dunno...

Handy rascals...

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 03:56:47 PM »
just about every mic we use utilizes phantom power so I don't think that's the reason tapers don't use them....
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline hammerhorror

• Trade Count: (54)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hey good lookin'
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 10:35:18 AM »
Doesn't anyone have any experience using these for onstage taping?
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & MK41, AKG CK63 (Naiant Actives)

Preamps: Naiant KCY Littlebox

Recorders: Sound Devices 664, Sony PCM-M10

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 12:21:42 PM »
i've used em for sound reinforcement, but never for taping....sorry. 
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Tim

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 12:26:24 PM »
I have two FOB Panic tape from 96 that Steve Brothers made with some custom hot-rodded Realistic PZM's line into a D7... they are really nice tapes but are the only PZM tapes I have seen
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline krebsy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 12:28:52 PM »
I've seen some tapes that are pzm on stage mixed with aud mics on the stacks. There's one guy in particular who runs that setup. I forget his name, but I think he's on the west coast. I'm pretty sure one was a Tea Leaf Green show. Might be worth a search over at archive.org. At least you could hear the end result...

edit: I just searched "pzm" at archive. Bog Cogswell is who I was thinking of. There's a bunch of pzm recordings over there.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 12:30:46 PM by krebsy »
"Two wrongs don't make a right. Three rights make a left."

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 04:28:07 PM »
i posted this in a thread earlier and copying it here since it's relevant as well.

at the club i tape at regularly they used to use a pair of Crown PZM microphones on a baffle above the stage for a matrix feed to their CD recorder.

One time, i plugged into the soundboard but only the over-the-stage micrphones were being fed to my recorder. i was actually quite surprised how decent it sounded. Drums were slightly heavy in the mix(especialy the cymbols) but the vocals could be discerned and the overall mix wasn't bad.

good luck!

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 04:33:07 PM »
I dont know his name and have never met him, but I have seen a guy tape Yonder a few times with pzm on stage..  I have never heard the recordings fwiw..
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 04:40:08 PM »
gary davis has been using a 3 pzm > mixer > dat setup for a while now. and the results sound quite good. i am biased, so i cant objectively tell whether i prefer the 3 pzm mix or my hrtf omni > sbm1 setup, but his recordings sound very good...

he is active on datheads - post a question with "pzm mics" in the subject and i am sure he will respond...

_____

I've seen some tapes that are pzm on stage mixed with aud mics on the stacks. There's one guy in particular who runs that setup. I forget his name, but I think he's on the west coast. I'm pretty sure one was a Tea Leaf Green show. Might be worth a search over at archive.org. At least you could hear the end result...

edit: I just searched "pzm" at archive. Bog Cogswell is who I was thinking of. There's a bunch of pzm recordings over there.

i think that high sierra late night tlg source is up on bt.etree now. do a search for "high sierra" and it will pop up...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 04:43:50 PM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 04:45:14 PM »
I have a single Realistic PZM mic I would sell if anyone's interested.  Battery powered, terminates in a single 1/4".  I think you can mod them to take phantom.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline blastroknow

• Taperssection Member
  • you can fight about love all you want
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 05:24:05 PM »
The other thing to consider with PZMs is that they do pick up everything including footsteps off the stage bass cabinet vibrations and every other sound as equally as it is picking up the music - this is something to consider and putting the PZMs on a slightly elevated isolating surface will impact the boundary pickup pattern.  I've heard a couple of recordings {on stage even, I think} with the Crown SASSP-MK2 - I think they are @ archive.org - just search SASS.  That is a cool mic set for sure.

I think PZMs are great mics and those original RS PZMs were made by Crown - I had a RS pair that work well for 15 years including falling into the ocean during a video shoot - I dried it out for 3 days and it worked another 7 years.
Core-sound HEB 4060s > iRiver h120
or
AT853 > AT8531 > ToddR mod SBM-1 > iRiver h120

Offline Tim

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2005, 06:35:25 PM »
i posted this in a thread earlier and copying it here since it's relevant as well.

at the club i tape at regularly they used to use a pair of Crown PZM microphones on a baffle above the stage for a matrix feed to their CD recorder.

One time, i plugged into the soundboard but only the over-the-stage micrphones were being fed to my recorder. i was actually quite surprised how decent it sounded. Drums were slightly heavy in the mix(especialy the cymbols) but the vocals could be discerned and the overall mix wasn't bad.

good luck!

I think I know that club ;D

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 06:49:20 PM »
yeah, Bob Cogswell tapes a lot of west coast stuff on PZM mics. Maybe you could try searching for him on archive and see if he has any shows up there.

Met him at a Hertz and friends show in Humboldt 2002, seems like a nice guy who knows what he is doing.

Peace,
BC

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2005, 08:21:42 PM »
With PZM's the boundry size affects the bass response. The larger the boundry, the more bass. I used to record some local bands in a few clubs by taping them to the walls, floor or ceiling near the stage. I probably have a few of those recordings still... I'll have to look. I modified two of the Radio Shack ones with balanced XLR outputs so I could use the home-made pre-amp i had at the time. The way I remember it, they had a very flat natural sound.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Brian

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 08:32:32 PM »

good luck!

I think I know that club ;D

;)

still smells the same!

Offline Tim

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 08:42:54 PM »
I had so much fun working there that summer

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2005, 08:52:19 PM »
 :love: :kiss2:

the good ole days boys
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Tim

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2005, 08:56:20 PM »
hey brian - The Fella called the other night, apparently your boys are heading out my way in the next coupla months.... might have to have them over to hear the stereo

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2005, 08:08:48 AM »
yeah, Bob Cogswell tapes a lot of west coast stuff on PZM mics. Maybe you could try searching for him on archive and see if he has any shows up there.

Met him at a Hertz and friends show in Humboldt 2002, seems like a nice guy who knows what he is doing.

Yeah Bob pulls some good stuff, (On Stage) Crown SASS P-MK2 PZM + (FOH) Crown CM-700MP's > Shure FP42 > Apogee MiniMe is what he runs now I believe ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline dueling

• Taperssection Member
  • TeamFocker
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2005, 09:12:19 AM »

Yeah Bob pulls some good stuff, (On Stage) Crown SASS P-MK2 PZM + (FOH) Crown CM-700MP's > Shure FP42 > Apogee MiniMe is what he runs now I believe ...

Correct..  I have been seeding Bob's Tea Leaf Green shows for him.  The TLG 4/1/05 and 4/2/05 were pulled from archive.. but these are still up...

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=23489

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=27188

or

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=16133

or for 24bit

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=16196

He has some other shows on archive as well.
Schoeps MK4v's, MK41v's, MK8 (1), MK21 (1)
DPA 4015's, 4022's

E.A.A. PSP-2

Sound Devices MixPre 10 II

Nbob Actives > Naiant PFAs
MMP-ER Modular Active Rear Cable

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2005, 11:57:57 AM »
why were they pulled from the archive..? i was planning on hitting those sometime...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline dueling

• Taperssection Member
  • TeamFocker
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2005, 04:08:41 PM »
why were they pulled from the archive..? i was planning on hitting those sometime...

TLG management had them pulled and added them to the "not to be uploaded list".

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-band-details.php?band=Tea%20Leaf%20Green

I'm guessing they are going to use these shows for official releases of some kind, but not sure yet.
Schoeps MK4v's, MK41v's, MK8 (1), MK21 (1)
DPA 4015's, 4022's

E.A.A. PSP-2

Sound Devices MixPre 10 II

Nbob Actives > Naiant PFAs
MMP-ER Modular Active Rear Cable

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.137 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com