Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nak cm300 Vs. Studio Projects C4  (Read 1905 times)

Offline cliffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Nak cm300 Vs. Studio Projects C4
« on: July 18, 2005, 02:25:15 PM »
Newbie, 1st question. Running into a UA-5 with no mods at this point. Which set of mics would you buy for your 1st set? (Panic, Moe, Trey, Cheese types of shows)
The Nak cm300 or Studio Projects C4?
I've been reading the forum posts on the 2 sets but can't really come up with a clear decision. I think the C4 are better but am not 100%
Any opinions are appreciated.

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Needs to get out more...
  • Real men wear kilts.
Re: Nak cm300 Vs. Studio Projects C4
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 02:36:30 PM »
I think a good place for you to start is to head over to archive. Get some shows with both mics and similar set ups and see what sound you enjoy better. The C4's are easier to come by as the Nak's haven't been made in years (decades even). Go with what your ears tell you.

"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 02:39:37 PM »
Newbie, 1st question. Running into a UA-5 with no mods at this point. Which set of mics would you buy for your 1st set? (Panic, Moe, Trey, Cheese types of shows)
The Nak cm300 or Studio Projects C4?
I've been reading the forum posts on the 2 sets but can't really come up with a clear decision. I think the C4 are better but am not 100%
Any opinions are appreciated.

Cost-wise the C4's might be better..you'd be getting brand new mics(if your chose that route).  Soundwise I cannot make a comparison...haven't listened to any C4 shows that I know of.  However, with the Naks, you could get them modded down to size ("franken") and run cables right out of the main capsule and use P48 without the need of the bodies or batteries at all.  Of course, you would need to determine whether or not the smaller mics w/ P48 is actually a benefit for you.  For me, it is...less gear to carry and the smaller mics don't block views from behind as much.  

Nak300s  
Price:  ~$200-300/pair         No warranty (USED)
Mods w/ Adapters:  ~$50-100 (depending on who's doing it and current adapter prices)

C4s
Price:  ~$250-300/pair (NEW) w/ Warranty  
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 02:41:10 PM by AudBall »
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 09:36:19 AM »
The C4s are smaller have the low cut and -10db pad switch and the two polar pattern caps so that's a plus.  If you could get a good pair of Naks with both C1 & C2 caps for under $250 it would be tempting.  Lots of people like their sound.  See if you can find some Nak sources to compare and I think you'll notice the difference.  Good luck.

The Naks also have a low cut and -10db pad switch, with multiple polar pattern caps. Like I stated in my first reply, take a listen to some shows with both mics, see what you're ears like. C4's are easy to get, Nak's arent. No need to rush into a deccision like buying mics!

"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 09:39:33 AM »
I'm not biased, but I think Nak's are the way to go  ;D ;D

No, just like Born again said, the archive is the perfect resource for gear comparisons. 

Good Luck
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com