Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sub $300 Pair of omni Microphones?  (Read 4740 times)

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings
Sub $300 Pair of omni Microphones?
« on: December 01, 2006, 09:09:39 AM »
Anyone have any suggestions?

Retired Taper

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re: Sub $300 Pair of omni Microphones?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 09:24:05 AM »
Stealth or open?

I have a pair of CSBs and while a lot of people rag on them, I have made some quality recordings.  You just have to know how to use them properly.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 09:26:22 AM »
Open - 48 phatom power ones
Retired Taper

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 09:27:56 AM »
You can get a brand new pair of Avenson STO-2 for $500.  Nothing else in the price range will touch them.

Used they run around $375 or so, but they're extremely hard to find.

Well worth the investment though.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline ambo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 09:37:40 AM »
AT 3032. One of their chief benefits is very low noise. Over in the Yahoo Nature recordist group these mics have been highly touted. Self noise measured at 8db, although the published specs are higher. They are also very good for humid environments and sound nice and open. All plusses for field and nature recording. I think they sound pretty good for acoustic music as well. About $150 each.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 11:38:31 AM »
Studio Projects C4's.  You'll get the cards as a bonus   ;D  Also includes the shockmounts & windscreens (not great for outdoors though).  Can be had new for $300 shipped.  Great mics for the price.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 11:40:40 AM by thegreatgumbino »
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 11:42:21 AM »
This should have been the first question:  what sort of quality are you hoping to achieve?  For the most part, in the sub $500 category you get what you pay for.  If you're expecting DPA quality, it's not coming from the AT's or the Studio Projects...(or the Avensons, for that matter).
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 11:44:34 AM »
This should have been the first question:  what sort of quality are you hoping to achieve?  For the most part, in the sub $500 category you get what you pay for.  If you're expecting DPA quality, it's not coming from the AT's or the Studio Projects...(or the Avensons, for that matter).

I think Rick's seasoned enough to realize that, but it's a good point Dirk. 

My guess is he's using them as a second pair of mics for running 4 mic matrix > R4.  That being said, I think the AT853's or the C4's will do you pretty well for the money. 
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Sanjay

• www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 11:47:35 AM »
If you get lucky try and piece together a pair of AKG 392's, might be a bit over $300.

My other vote would be for the AT853-O
mics & cameras

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 11:58:13 AM »

I think Rick's seasoned enough to realize that, but it's a good point Dirk. 

My guess is he's using them as a second pair of mics for running 4 mic matrix > R4.  That being said, I think the AT853's or the C4's will do you pretty well for the money. 

Yeah I realize they aren't going to be great. I'm just looking for something for the occasional 4 mic mix. If I could afford them I would get the DPAs, but my budget is going to be very limited.
Retired Taper

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 12:03:32 PM »
Studio Projects C4's.  You'll get the cards as a bonus   ;D  Also includes the shockmounts & windscreens (not great for outdoors though).  Can be had new for $300 shipped.  Great mics for the price.

I wonder how the Samson CL2 stack up against the C4s

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1902&brandID=2
Retired Taper

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 01:33:10 PM »
I've been curious about this too, and have been looking around at the same price point and for the same reason -- 4-mic mixes. 

Thought about the At3032's since I used to have the AT4041's and was very impressed with them for the price.  At the moment, I've got the SP C4 card/omni package.  I've only been able to use them once so far in a 4-mic mix for Trey and liked it pretty well -- better than the 2-ch mix.  (I recorded DIN AKG ck61> jklabs ecms> V3digi-out > MT for 2ch, and then used the V3analog-out into a Marenius MM4210 mixer along with split C4 omnis.  Made it easy to compare the akg ck61 2ch version to the ck61/C4 omni 4-ch mix.)

I need to do more testing with the C4's to know how I feel about them in a 4-ch mix.  They seem like they fit the bill well, but I'm still looking around for other omni choices.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 02:57:14 PM »
I'll throw in a really cheap option... Naiant Studio MSH-1O's. $44 for a matched pair. I find them great to mess around with. Since they are entirely housed in a Neutrik XLR connector, you can plug them directly into a pre-amp. I have been using them to test a pre-amp design I'm working on. I plan to build a 2 -microphone/ 2 -line in mixer to do four channels mixes. It seems everybody is doing this lately...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 03:00:15 PM by Chuck »
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2006, 03:06:02 PM »
Oh yeah, I've got the MSH-1O's as well.  Haven't even tried to use those yet.  I plan on going to a show next week and Phil will be borrowing my C4 mics that day for another show, so maybe I'll try to use the 1O's in a 4-mic mix with his 140's (or my new Milabs if they show up by then).

Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 03:18:42 PM »
You can get a brand new pair of Avenson STO-2 for $500.  Nothing else in the price range will touch them.

Used they run around $375 or so, but they're extremely hard to find.

Well worth the investment though.

granted they are a little more than the 300 limit but well worth it, check out the specs.   http://www.avensonaudio.com/sto2.html

If you want zero coloration/hype out of your omni, this is it in the sub 1k range. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com