Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Picking up AM radio with my UA5 hooked up to my PC???  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Tye

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • No news is good gnews without Gary Gnu
Picking up AM radio with my UA5 hooked up to my PC???
« on: August 12, 2004, 06:34:36 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask please move if it is not.
I don't plan on using my UA5 as a home recording unit. However today I got some
Canare Star Quad XLR's (thanks hzgone) and decided to hook them up to my UA5 and then run out of my RCA's into my mic in on my PC to listen through my desktop speakers.
 Well for some odd reason I started picking up a local AM radio station loud and clear. I could not figure it out everything worked fine except I was picking up the radio?!? As soon as I unplugged the rca it went away so I know it is not my UA5.
  Does anyone know why it would pick up a radio station when the UA5 is plugged into a PC???? This happened once before and it was hooked up to my PC,  this would suck at a show in the middle of a good jam!      Thanks
Peluso cemc6/ck-21/ck-4 > Karma K10mp > Hydra's > Sound Devices MP-2> Buman T mod R4 - R9HR

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Picking up AM radio with my UA5 hooked up to my PC???
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 06:58:02 PM »
I used to get FM signal when I would turn on my wha-wha pedal when it was hooked up to one of my amplifiers...but only when they were in one spot in my room...

it is odd, and I really have no explaination for this sort of thing.

“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 07:09:54 PM »
Has anyone heard of this happening in the field? Perhaps people running laptops?
Peluso cemc6/ck-21/ck-4 > Karma K10mp > Hydra's > Sound Devices MP-2> Buman T mod R4 - R9HR

Offline hzgone

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 01:19:44 AM »
tye your welcome, and i have no idea about the signal, what do you think of those cables?
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 11:04:33 AM »
Ryan they sound sweet! I was running 25 ' Hosa brand cables so it is a big diffrence! I can't wait to run them  at LOS this weekend. Chris said he is going to run split omnis again I think he is going to use his A51st's.

Offline hzgone

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 01:12:46 PM »
awesome hope the tapes come out well
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2004, 12:33:52 AM »
It could be because you plugged into the mic input - that thing will have lots of gain on it and your RCA cables can act as antennas for the radio.  Try plugging into the line in and turn up the output on the UA-5 so you don't need to turn it up on the sound card.

BTW, the UA-5 can be sensitive on the headphone jack - you shouldn't leave headphones plugged in without using the little ferrite bead that came with the UA-5.  I never plug headphones into it when recording.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com