Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 7)  (Read 104009 times)

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Eschew obfuscation
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 7)
« Reply #195 on: August 15, 2016, 12:34:31 PM »
Volt, didn't you have someone's ear at Tascam regarding firmware update suggestions?

No being able to select which source to send to the monitor/cam outputs and being stuck with a mix is beyond ridiculous. Worked just fine on the 60; why they would limit this on the 70 is beyond me. I went to the 70 for the 4 channel XLRs, but only being able to get the mix to cam out is really starting to piss me off, and I'm sure it is with a lot of other people too. Recorded Unknown Hinson Friday night using two sets of cards; individually, both sources sound great but the mix that got sent to the camera sounds like ass.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #196 on: August 15, 2016, 02:43:43 PM »
Nope.  I can't even get a response at all from customer service, after about 6 or 7 emails.  I haven't tried for a few months though, so maybe I'll give it another shot.

I think you've done a great job of describing a major flaw with a feature that directly affects the target market for this recorder of DSLR users.  It's been on my issues list for a long time, but like I said no one at Tascam responds to any emails from me.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #197 on: August 16, 2016, 01:23:29 AM »
Volt, didn't you have someone's ear at Tascam regarding firmware update suggestions?

No being able to select which source to send to the monitor/cam outputs and being stuck with a mix is beyond ridiculous. Worked just fine on the 60; why they would limit this on the 70 is beyond me. I went to the 70 for the 4 channel XLRs, but only being able to get the mix to cam out is really starting to piss me off, and I'm sure it is with a lot of other people too. Recorded Unknown Hinson Friday night using two sets of cards; individually, both sources sound great but the mix that got sent to the camera sounds like ass.

Hmm, weird! I kinda had a similar incident recently! I just taped Dumpstaphunk/Turkuaz last weekend[8.6.16], and separately, my two sources sound great [mk4>vms02ib>70d[3/4] & mk41>pfa>70d[1/2]. But matrixed together 50/50, the mix sounded like ass IMO[just opening as an Audio Montage in WaveLab v6.11 like Ive done a million times before], so I scraped mixing the two sources together and left them separate!

BUT, I am not sure if it's because my mics weren't aligned vertically to the sound source[probably phasing issues from that], or because the 70D has a delay or phasing issue somewhere? I have everything set fine in the settings, but it seems when I mix my 2 DAUD sources from the 70D, they have that same weird phasing/cancellation issue it seems? And its not WaveLab v6.11 doing it!

I just got that new SRS Dina/DIN combo mount, which keeps all 4 of my caps aligned vertically to the sound source, so I'll definitely report back once I tape something new and try to matrix those 2 sources together! I'm HOPING that its just the phasing issues because of running one of my rigs about 4"-5" farther back from the front rig on my Vark Bar, and NOT the 70D reversing phase or something ??? I'm going to re-check my settings too, but I know for a fact that I don't have phase/delay/limiter/etc ON. That stuff is ALWAYS OFF in my settings!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #198 on: August 16, 2016, 08:57:51 AM »
I think it's just the fact that running two different sets of mics with a 50/50 split just cancels some stuff out. Might work better if I was running a set of omnis and a set of cards instead of 2 sets of cards, but whatever, it's still kind of defeating the purpose. Maybe Tascam thinks everyone is just sending a scratch track to the cam that they are going to replace in post, but I never do that if I get a clean audio track to begin with.

Very weird that there are a hundred combinations for output on the 60 but no options on the 70. Bastards. Lol
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #199 on: August 16, 2016, 09:17:35 AM »
we might want to start a coordinated e-mail campaign. If 100 people write the same e-mail, perhaps they'll listen.

I too would love to have control of the analogue output. It would be so easy to do an on the fly matrix to an outboard m10 in addition to the 4 individual tracks on the 70d.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Ronmac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #200 on: August 16, 2016, 10:55:48 AM »
I'm all for new firmware upgrades (I own two units), but let us not forget this is a $200 deck. We can hope.

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #201 on: August 16, 2016, 11:01:01 AM »
I'm all for new firmware upgrades (I own two units), but let us not forget this is a $200 deck. We can hope.

This should be pretty simple.....as I said before, the DR60 does this out of the box and the 70 should be the next step up. Besides, attaching this to a camera is it's intended use. Not having this functionally more or less cripples this

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #202 on: August 16, 2016, 11:05:20 AM »
we might want to start a coordinated e-mail campaign. If 100 people write the same e-mail, perhaps they'll listen.

I too would love to have control of the analogue output. It would be so easy to do an on the fly matrix to an outboard m10 in addition to the 4 individual tracks on the 70d.

Next question: who do we write to?

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #203 on: August 16, 2016, 11:11:43 AM »

http://tascam.com/contact/support/
I just sent an email to operational support. Fire away folks.

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #204 on: August 16, 2016, 11:18:30 AM »

http://tascam.com/contact/support/
I just sent an email to operational support. Fire away folks.

Did I word this correctly? Feel free to copy and paste:

Support Reference Code: 76X3NFCB
Support Request Type: Operational Support
Product: DR70
Your Question:
Not so much of a question as a request. On the DR60, you can choose which source you send to the output (1-2, 3-4, mix, etc). On the 70 however, all you get is mix. Can the firmware be updated to allow you to choose which source you can assign to the outputs? Thanks, Dan

Offline voltronic

« Reply #205 on: August 16, 2016, 11:28:59 AM »
If we're sending coordinated emails, may I suggest that we all add the other things that are on the FAQ issues list?  I'm not fluffing my FAQ page here; that's a list of the top annoyances I've compiled from everyone here, with maybe just 1 or 2 if my own.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #206 on: August 16, 2016, 12:03:07 PM »
If we're sending coordinated emails, may I suggest that we all add the other things that are on the FAQ issues list?  I'm not fluffing my FAQ page here; that's a list of the top annoyances I've compiled from everyone here, with maybe just 1 or 2 if my own.

Great idea! Squeaky wheel grease and all......

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #207 on: August 16, 2016, 09:48:16 PM »

Yeah, great idea Volt! Id just be happy if they changed the Channel=OFF counter-clockwise issue!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline voltronic

« Reply #208 on: August 16, 2016, 10:06:45 PM »
I'm out of town for a few days and it's a PITA doing it on my phone, but what I plan on doing when I'm back is copy-pasting the Known Issues and Firmware Update Requests into emails to Tascam customer service and tech support.  That's what I did several times before with no response from anyone.  If others start doing something similar, maybe they start to take notice.  Otherwise it seems like I'm this one annoying guy who find a bunch of problems and likes to complain.

Honestly I really like the 70D and it's a reliable workhorse for me.  Everything on the list short of the crappy limiter could theoretically be fixed with firmware updates, particularly given the Blackfin DSP chip that runs the unit.  They just have to see that it's worth their time and money to assign engineers and programmers to make it happen.  That's why we need to be many wheels intelligently squeaking together.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #209 on: August 17, 2016, 10:26:53 AM »
I'm out of town for a few days and it's a PITA doing it on my phone, but what I plan on doing when I'm back is copy-pasting the Known Issues and Firmware Update Requests into emails to Tascam customer service and tech support.  That's what I did several times before with no response from anyone.  If others start doing something similar, maybe they start to take notice.  Otherwise it seems like I'm this one annoying guy who find a bunch of problems and likes to complain.

Honestly I really like the 70D and it's a reliable workhorse for me.  Everything on the list short of the crappy limiter could theoretically be fixed with firmware updates, particularly given the Blackfin DSP chip that runs the unit.  They just have to see that it's worth their time and money to assign engineers and programmers to make it happen.  That's why we need to be many wheels intelligently squeaking together.

I really like the thing too. The metering is much better than the 60, and the form factor is much better also. I feel a little better about the menu-controlled phantom power off/off deal once I realized that once they are on, the unit prompts you to confirm rather than having to turn them on individually. Really, the non-selectable output is the biggest problem I got, and frankly I'm surprised it's like this given the target market and the fact that it is selectable in it 60.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com