Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Eight-channel bit bucket

(1/3) > >>

heathen:
For a while I've been toying with the idea of a Raspberry Pi as a bit bucket, which is certainly not a novel idea.  I recently got the last piece I needed to try it out, and tonight I successfully tested it running eight channels.  My setup was purely a "proof of concept" sort of thing, and by no means ready for field use as-is.  Now that I know it can work, though, I'll probably take the next step of trying to get it into the field.  Here was my test setup:

* 8 mics running into a Zoom F8 in USB interface mode

* USB cable from the F8 to the Raspberry Pi 3

* Raspberry Pi connected to the official Pi touchscreen and a USB keyboard

* Pi powered with wall wart

I was able to record all eight tracks at 16/48 on the Pi using Audacity.  For the moment I am not quite sure how to change to 24-bit.  It might require using different software, or I may have just not found the right setting yet.  Or maybe it's not possible at all with this setup.  I didn't try a higher sample rate, but Audacity gave the option.

Anyway, I don't know if this is all that interesting, but it's a fun little project that I'm finding mildly amusing.

if_then_else:
Not really convinced by the sonic qualities (e.g. shielding) of the RPi. But you might want to consider running something like ecasound (https://ecasound.seul.org/ecasound/Documentation/examples.html) from the shell (or even remotely via SSH from your phone). It's capable of recording in 24 bit and would remove the need for the USB keyboard and the touchscreen.

tim in jersey:

--- Quote from: heathen on January 08, 2019, 10:50:10 PM ---For a while I've been toying with the idea of a Raspberry Pi as a bit bucket, which is certainly not a novel idea.  I recently got the last piece I needed to try it out, and tonight I successfully tested it running eight channels.  My setup was purely a "proof of concept" sort of thing, and by no means ready for field use as-is.  Now that I know it can work, though, I'll probably take the next step of trying to get it into the field.  Here was my test setup:

* 8 mics running into a Zoom F8 in USB interface mode

* USB cable from the F8 to the Raspberry Pi 3

* Raspberry Pi connected to the official Pi touchscreen and a USB keyboard

* Pi powered with wall wart

I was able to record all eight tracks at 16/48 on the Pi using Audacity.  For the moment I am not quite sure how to change to 24-bit.  It might require using different software, or I may have just not found the right setting yet.  Or maybe it's not possible at all with this setup.  I didn't try a higher sample rate, but Audacity gave the option.

Anyway, I don't know if this is all that interesting, but it's a fun little project that I'm finding mildly amusing.

--- End quote ---

That is actually very interesting. I've been wanting to mess w/ a Pi for sorta same purposes.

Fairly certain that the next-gen recorder we all want is gonna come from TS.com. Will be modular to fit everyone.

heva:
Using a pi3 with an ECHO2 every now and then, controlling the pi3 over wifi from an iPhone.
It works nicely with alsa and 'sox' [which does the actual recording], all from commandline using a simple shell script.
One thing needed to fix dropouts in writes to the SDcard was to set the I/O scheduler to 'cfq' mode.
Also, have to keep the pi3 a bit away from mic.cables/echo2 because the wifi signal is quite strong and noticable in the signal.

crunchy:
Good to know there are others working on a Pi recorder. I am working on a pi zero bit bucket for my V3 also using Sox. I’ll have to make a post if I end up doing anything that works out.

How was setting up the Pi the record with a usb audio device?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version