Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Powering at853s  (Read 11026 times)

Offline mrruin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Team Europe
Re: Powering at853s
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2007, 02:47:13 AM »
the problem with the power modules and a phantom power supply is that its very very bulky for stealthing.
AT 943/h or U853/c > 3 wire "crown-royal" BB > ST 9100 preamp v2.0 > R-09
my shows: http://db.etree.org/mrruin *updated April 2nd 2007*
-------------
Team Europe

Offline rdvdijk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Rust Radio
Re:Powering at853s
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2007, 05:37:23 AM »

You can not directly power the 853 with phantom power you will blow up the mics. The ones with the XLR connector on one end have electronics inside them to reduce the phantom supply to 10 volts and also to act as an impedance converter. Its also not true that using phantom power increases the spl of the microphone. Actually the difference is because your using a preamp with more dynamic range, and this is not a product of bias voltage. The difference between 5 volts and 10 volts is a distortion percentage of only 1%. So if your running the mics from a 5 volt supply and then switch to a 10 volt supply you will not notice any increase in SPL handling of the mic it self.

What about this?

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/a3e071b73f3be570/index.html

PHANTOM POWER REQUIREMENTS    9-52V DC, 2 mA typical

I'm just trying to understand, but those specs say it can handle up to 52V phantom, right? That page also states the SPL increases with phantom power.

Roel
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 06:03:12 AM by rdvdijk »
"Obviously Doing Well.."

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • it's recreational
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2007, 08:57:13 AM »
What about this?

I'm just trying to understand, but those specs say it can handle up to 52V phantom, right? That page also states the SPL increases with phantom power.

Roel

Yes, it can handle phantom power when used w/ the AT8531 power module that comes with the 853a.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2007, 09:41:47 AM »

You can not directly power the 853 with phantom power you will blow up the mics. The ones with the XLR connector on one end have electronics inside them to reduce the phantom supply to 10 volts and also to act as an impedance converter. Its also not true that using phantom power increases the spl of the microphone. Actually the difference is because your using a preamp with more dynamic range, and this is not a product of bias voltage. The difference between 5 volts and 10 volts is a distortion percentage of only 1%. So if your running the mics from a 5 volt supply and then switch to a 10 volt supply you will not notice any increase in SPL handling of the mic it self.

What about this?

Roel

Well we all know that AT also says the 853 mics can handle 135 db but we know that's not really the case in the real world when running these mics 2 wire.. Switching over to phantom power does not increase MAX SPL of the AT 853 microphone what does increase max spl of a microphone is running the capsule 3 wire that is what happens when you use the phantom adaptor.. But I have found a way to mod a basic three wire to two wire and still get all the SPL handling that this mic would get running three wire and phantom... But with even less distortion and with less gear. Increasing the voltage to "most" electret capsules from 5 volts to 10 yields at most and this is again with the 853 and with my capsules a decrease in distortion by only .05% not enough to even worry about.. My mod reduces distortion by at least 10% to 15% Thd.

Chris
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 09:43:42 AM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline rdvdijk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Rust Radio
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2007, 01:09:30 PM »
Thanks for the reply. So just to put it right once and for all:

AT853 mics alone cannot handle phantom power as high as 52V.
AT853 mics with phantom power modules can.

Roel
"Obviously Doing Well.."

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2007, 02:50:32 PM »
Thanks for the reply. So just to put it right once and for all:

AT853 mics alone cannot handle phantom power as high as 52V.
AT853 mics with phantom power modules can.

Roel

Yes you are correct.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.291 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com