Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stealthable mikes for UA5>JB3?  (Read 11375 times)

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
Re: Stealthable mikes for UA5>JB3?
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2005, 07:31:39 AM »
Look into the Sound Devices MP-2/Mixpre, or Shure FP-24, all basically the same thing.  Instead of the UA-5 because it will fit into the palm of your hand.  Only problem is you have to run line in into your jb3.   For mics lookinto the audix 1290's instead of the 1245's better freq response IMO.  Or grab pfife's at853's, those are what I am using right now.
mics & cameras

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2005, 08:18:44 AM »
I might be biased since I am selling AT's, but here's my response.

First, good luck finding those Audix's used.  New they are pretty expensive (I think Full Compass had them for sale for around $400/each or so.. but check to make sure!).  I know Sirchek has had "Sell me your audixs"in his sig for quite a while.

I think the Audix's are stealthable, totally.  I've seen Ed's up close, and to me, they looked about the size of a really fat cigarette.  A few people have added pics of a Kangol hat modified to run them ho's in DIN somewhere- that was pretty cool!  Maybe Ed will chime in with his opinions, but I know John Kelly really digs his Audix's... other Audix mics I've used in multitracking situations have sounded really good too.

About the AT853Rx's, many people say they are great mics for the $.  I liked them a lot...  just wanted to downsize all my stuff for stealthing.  They are versatile too.  Depending on the model of Audix (and how old they are) they don't have switchable caps.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

thierryhenry

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2005, 08:26:47 AM »
Yeah buy Pfife's AT853Rx's with his various caps, a real nice deal for starter mics. Good luck..

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2005, 02:09:19 PM »
BTW, Brian. Should we post suggestions/additions to your shopping guide privately instead? I noticed the reply-function is disabled in that part of the forum. I noticed the Core Sounds 2496 is conspicuosly missing... etc etc. How would you like to have the feedback?

Yeah, just drop me a PM.  So far, I plan on adding:

Core-Sound gear (and will keep my personal opinions to myself)
Audix mics (several flavors)
a handful of higher end pres/ADCs/recorders
Josephson mics
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2005, 04:21:16 PM »
Yeah buy Pfife's AT853Rx's with his various caps, a real nice deal for starter mics. Good luck..

They are not starter mics.  They are the best bang for the dollar. 

thierryhenry

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2005, 07:26:47 PM »
True, but compared to the TOP DAWG MICS we hear about, they are more suited for a starter. Just cause they are for a starter doesn't mean they are shitte by any means, I love the 8's.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.268 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com