Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I've realized why on-stage and stage-lip taping is so great>  (Read 11897 times)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Re: I've realized why on-stage and stage-lip taping is so great>
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2005, 09:51:32 AM »
I almost always tape on-stage and while I love the crispness and immediacy of the recordings sometimes the stereo image is a little extreme.  Anyone else find this?  I'm almost tempted to center stuff a bit in post, but maybe thats just because my ear is accustomed to the lack of stereo image found in studio recordings.

Brett -
I've found that sometimes as well (of course, it all depends on the how the band is setup).  The best way I've found to avoid that is to run on-stage split omnis.  the few times I've done that, I still get a nice stereo image, but it isn't as "extreme" as with cards ORTF.
oh, and by the way, when did you pick up a pair of gefells? :)  and do you know Matt? ("ingsy" on this board).  he's in Boston and has a pair of the m27 omni caps.  if you get in touch with him, he'll probably let you borrow those caps to try them out :)

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2005, 05:40:08 PM »
fyi, for anyone who has been posting in or reading this thread, or who is interested in this topic and this type of taping (on-stage), Bean now has a couple of my pulls from on-stage placement on the archive, they are Lotus from 10-21-05 and 10-27-05, give them a listen if you care to, I'd be interested in feedback of any type

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2005, 05:53:50 PM »
my feedback is THEY FREAKIN SMOKE ;D

d/l these if youre at all interested in lotus!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Tall Adam

• The Artist Formerly Known as GQJSP
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2005, 06:40:54 PM »
there admittedly are other bands with vocals that I would love to tape on-stage or stage-lip but could never get away with doing so like Bisco for example

onstage bisco tapes would kick ass...just make sure to get NONE of the vocal monitors, theyd be sweet!  ;D :P

i love onstage too, but ive found that the general public doesnt always love it. i pulled one tape where my friend complained that the bass and guitar were in seperate channels. i personally like stereo seperation, but i guess i can see his complaint.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 07:57:05 PM by GQJSP »

kskreider

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2005, 07:07:12 PM »
i'm a firm believer in coincident stereo techniques.
:)

didn't start out that way.  I was the original XY basher.

I almost ALWAYS run my 140's x/y 90 degrees when I go on stage or lip.  I also find that tilting the sth mount so that the mics are facing up a little bit helps me capture a little more vocals if there is a singer. 

Roving Sign

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2005, 09:41:14 AM »
I almost always tape on-stage and while I love the crispness and immediacy of the recordings sometimes the stereo image is a little extreme.  Anyone else find this?  I'm almost tempted to center stuff a bit in post, but maybe thats just because my ear is accustomed to the lack of stereo image found in studio recordings.

Agreed - my next series of onstage recordings will have the channels panned in to the center a bit...

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2005, 10:58:25 AM »

Agreed - my next series of onstage recordings will have the channels panned in to the center a bit...

One of my favorite things about onstage is the acurate image... I love it.  No matter where I place my mic's on stage I always try to center on the drum set.  I love hearing the drummer move around the set.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Roving Sign

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2005, 11:25:36 AM »
I have some drum mic clips that I clamp on to the guitarists mic stands...about 24 inches up...usually 6-10 feet apart...pointed away from the drums...toward the guitarists speakers...sort of in between the two...

Strangely enough I think the cardioids work best...the omnis tend to sound like 2 recordings played at the same time...they dont image the way you might think up close...YMMV

http://audio38.archive.org/2/audio/londonfile2004-11-26.shnf/londonfile2004-11-26d2t07_vbr.mp3

Offline krebsy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2005, 08:39:24 PM »
On stage is one place where I think M/S is at it's most useful. Adjusting the stereo image to your taste after the fact just can't be beat!!
"Two wrongs don't make a right. Three rights make a left."

Offline darkfunk

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2005, 12:20:41 PM »
I got the MGs back in oct.  I met Matt @ the zeit benevento/russo/haas show and would love to borrow those m27s for the fringe sometime (except ill probably realize that i need to buy my own pair  ;)). 

Brett -
I've found that sometimes as well (of course, it all depends on the how the band is setup).  The best way I've found to avoid that is to run on-stage split omnis.  the few times I've done that, I still get a nice stereo image, but it isn't as "extreme" as with cards ORTF.
oh, and by the way, when did you pick up a pair of gefells? :)  and do you know Matt? ("ingsy" on this board).  he's in Boston and has a pair of the m27 omni caps.  if you get in touch with him, he'll probably let you borrow those caps to try them out :)

ho

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2005, 05:34:30 PM »
One of my favorite things about onstage is the acurate image... I love it.  No matter where I place my mic's on stage I always try to center on the drum set.  I love hearing the drummer move around the set.

Matt

I must agree, I love the drums sound with onstage. Some of MMW stage-lip recordings are my favorites.

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2005, 07:13:56 PM »

I must agree, I love the drums sound with onstage. Some of MMW stage-lip recordings are my favorites.
[/quote]

I really like onstage drums as well.  Nothing beats natural decay.  Onstage there are no gates and no compression, no reverb.  Just wood resonating and drum heads slapping!
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2005, 07:23:05 PM »

I really like onstage drums as well.  Nothing beats natural decay.  Onstage there are no gates and no compression, no reverb.  Just wood resonating and drum heads slapping!
[/quote]

I think brad is gettin' a chubby!   ;D

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2005, 07:23:53 PM »
No I swear, it's just the drum heads making that slapping noise :)
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2005, 07:36:36 PM »
No I swear, it's just the drum heads making that slapping noise :)

+T ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com