Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I got asked this question on etree...  (Read 2153 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
I got asked this question on etree...
« on: November 15, 2006, 12:06:21 PM »
any idea why a lunatec v3 was used between the cassette deck and the 722 during transfer? just curious ... seems like an unnecessary analog stage.

my transfers are cassette>V3(analog out)>722. Not quite sure how to answer it. And somewhat curious as to whether or not I really need the V3.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
Re: I got asked this question on etree...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 12:10:50 PM »
Come on, give us a comp! ;)

I could imagine that some casette material would be better via v3 and some better direct 722. I'm guessing the v3 might clean up the sound a bit.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 12:12:45 PM »
Becasue some people seem to think the A/D of the 722 is superior to the V3 is the first thing that comes to mind.  HOWEVER, since you're sending a line level signal into the V3 anyway it does seem kind of pointless.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 12:21:05 PM »
tell them is for spectral analysis and azimuth regeneration relative to the bias at 12 nanoWebers/meter. You don't want to transfer without compensating for flux density now do ya?

throw some other big, techie sounding words that have nothing to do with audio in there too.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline ts

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 12:30:12 PM »
tell them is for spectral analysis and azimuth regeneration relative to the bias at 12 nanoWebers/meter. You don't want to transfer without compensating for flux density now do ya?

throw some other big, techie sounding words that have nothing to do with audio in there too.

Yep, thats what I was leaning towards saying :laugh:.

But in all seriousness it does seem pointless to have the V3 in the chain. Going analog out of V3, the A/D in the 722 is being used. To use the A/D in the V3 I would run digi out of the V3 and use the 722 as a bit bucket, which would explain the need for the V3. So this has me thinking, what is the V3 doing that the 722 can't do on it's own? Because the V3 may have a cleaner pre justifys using it in this scenario?

thanks, ts

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 12:31:48 PM »
You should be sending the V3 a line level signal though.  The pre shouldn't really be introduced into the equation (at least, not in my opinion).  So if you're not using the pre (and you shouldn't be) then there's no point in using the V3.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 12:44:16 PM »
The V3 will accept a line-level signal.  Even with minimal gain, the V3 gain stage will impart a sonic signature to the recording (as will any gear in the chain).  Without knowing who did it and why, my guess:  they ran V3 analog > 722 for the same reason people run that set up in the field with mics, i.e. they prefer the sonic characteristics of the V3 gain stage and the ADC of the 722.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline ts

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 01:24:58 PM »
The V3 will accept a line-level signal.  Even with minimal gain, the V3 gain stage will impart a sonic signature to the recording (as will any gear in the chain).  Without knowing who did it and why, my guess:  they ran V3 analog > 722 for the same reason people run that set up in the field with mics, i.e. they prefer the sonic characteristics of the V3 gain stage and the ADC of the 722.

Bingo! We have a winner. That was my gut feeling but needed to confer with the experts.

Thanks Brian!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com