Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Volume knob trouble  (Read 1916 times)

Offline jonohull

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 12/10/07...
Volume knob trouble
« on: March 25, 2008, 04:27:23 PM »
I have a Sansui R-70 receiver with one of those volume controls that has both right and left controls on the same knob, like this:

Half the time, the right channel doesn't work, and I have to tap/jiggle the knob to get it to work, and sometimes, that doesn't even do it. The thing on the inside looks like this, although this is a pic from the net, because I don't have a camera:

Does anyone know of a way to fix/clean this?

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Volume knob trouble
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 05:07:46 PM »
Radio shack sells a switch cleaner for this very thing, just ask a clerk there and he will point you to it. Also, it removes the static sounds that can come with dirty contacts on gain knobs. Just be sure to read and follow the instructions on the package to the letter.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline jonohull

• Taperssection Member
  • 12/10/07...
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 07:12:46 PM »
Radio shack sells a switch cleaner for this very thing, just ask a clerk there and he will point you to it. Also, it removes the static sounds that can come with dirty contacts on gain knobs. Just be sure to read and follow the instructions on the package to the letter.

Thanks, I'll try this. This thing is probably almost 30 years old, it needs some cleaning.

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 07:14:41 PM »
Sounds like dirty pots...either try that Radio Shack stuff, or the Caig DeOxit product gets good reviews.  Quite a few on-line dealers sell it.

Later,
   pjdavep
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 08:24:32 PM by pjdavep »
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 08:47:09 PM »
The pots could be dirty or it could be that the carbon tracks are flaking off the bakelite like the pots in my 25yo car stereo.  If the caig spray doesn't help, it's fairly easy to replace those pots.  The can should be stamped with a rating or a part number that can be cross referenced.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com