Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CD Treatment....could this be for real?  (Read 2206 times)

Offline som

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
CD Treatment....could this be for real?
« on: June 03, 2008, 12:56:39 PM »
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=52185.0

Anyone have any experience with this stuff? I don't think of "Hornshoppe Ed" as a snake oil salesman, but I am skeptical.
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline GregDunn

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: CD Treatment....could this be for real?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 11:50:22 PM »
I'll believe it when someone can demonstrate a significant result in an ABX test, and not a microsecond before.   ;)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline spott

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 12:47:49 PM »
who knows, there's all sorts of weird stuff out there that 'claims' to do the trick.  one of the guys who lived in my building (back in my Richmond days) used a green magic marker to color the edges of CD's but I later learned this to be false http://www.snopes2.com/music/media/marker.htm.  Chances are it's a psychological difference, nothing more.

Offline Petrus

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 06:19:20 AM »
In theory mimizing reading errors could improve the sound, as the system does not need to synthesize samples for missed ones. In theory, that is, but can it be heard? But it could be measured. If she product was as scientific as the "white paper" tries to make it appear, they would have included statistical comparasons of read errors between untreated and treated disks. They do not have any mention of even trying to prove the working of the product that way, which, I think, tells a lot.

Easy scientifically exact test procedure: make a CD. Burn 2 copies, treat one with wonder oitment. Read disks and copy data to HD. Compare the resulting two datasets to the original unburnt CD data on HD. If there are differences (it does not even matter which is more truthful) there just might be something that could be heard. If not, it is impossible to have any difference in output signals.

The problem with these people coming up with products like this (and even more with those who buy the stuff) is that they refuse to leave the analog vinyl midset behind. Some cleaning and lubrication products did and do really work with vinyls for obvious reasons. CDs are totally another thing, but still they like to to think (and even more, would like us to think) that the same ideas work. They do not.

Verdict: scam.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 06:25:31 AM by Petrus »

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 05:21:54 AM »
The expensive stuff works better.  Yup.      8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com