Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Vinyl storage question?  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Vinyl storage question?
« on: March 12, 2005, 10:35:29 PM »
I'm starting to buy more vinyl and want to take care of it properly. A lot of the stuff I buy is very limited, so I can't replace most of it.

Any tips on how / where to store my collection.

It is about half 12" and half 7".

Also this doesn't exacly fit in to this forum, but I'd also like to make 24bit backups of some of these records. The only 24 bit hardware I have is my Digi-Mod UA5 and a Creative Audigy 2 ZS soundcard. Hopefully I can make a least decent 24bit recordings with this set up. Any tips for converting my collection to 24bit (like is it even worth it)?

The only other thing I can add is my turntable is a Numark TT-1910 with an Audio Tecnica stylus (I don't know which model).

Thanks,
MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Vinyl storage question?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 10:06:51 AM »
Many guys I know use the Boltz racks,  good stuff.  Very sturdy.

I use cardboard boxes sitting sideways on wire shelves in my closet!  Probably not ideal, I just don't have that much vinyl, nor do I listen to it enough...  My collection is growing, though, and I'm not exactly sure what to do with it; I will probably line the shelves in the closet.

I have been considering doing some 24 bit vinyl transfers.  Is it worth it?  Michael Fremer of Stereophile often uses 16-bit CDs from vinyl to compare turntables!  So yes, I'd say it's probably worth it.  I have been meaning to go down to the local hifi with some killer vinyl in hand, and "tape" a really killer TT.  That would be a fun experiment.

I use a UA-5, too, FWIW.

Offline jk labs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Straight wire!
    • Mics, pre and ADC...
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 10:17:46 AM »
I'm starting to buy more vinyl and want to take care of it properly. A lot of the stuff I buy is very limited, so I can't replace most of it.

Any tips on how / where to store my collection.

It is about half 12" and half 7".

Also this doesn't exacly fit in to this forum, but I'd also like to make 24bit backups of some of these records. The only 24 bit hardware I have is my Digi-Mod UA5 and a Creative Audigy 2 ZS soundcard. Hopefully I can make a least decent 24bit recordings with this set up. Any tips for converting my collection to 24bit (like is it even worth it)?

The only other thing I can add is my turntable is a Numark TT-1910 with an Audio Tecnica stylus (I don't know which model).

Thanks,
MIKE B

http://www.45s.com/music/music-history/record-care-tips.htm
but I didn't see it recommended in there that you rotate your vertically stored LPs to prevent sideways compression due to gravity. 

Roughly speaking your signal chain is turntable, groove, styli, pickup, arm, RIAA, preamp & UA5. 
So it's worth investigating where the bottlenecks are and if corrective measures should be undertaken before you start the job:
Solid platform, aligned tonearm, proper tracking force, record clamp, record cleaner, new cartridge, new styli (Shure V15 might be nice if the records are worn), low noise preamp, do RIAA in SW, low noise DC power for UA5 etc etc ...  Some surface noise can be removed in SW. If you know the freq resp of your turntable you could EQ mildly if you feel the data needs it.

If you send me copies I'd be happy to say what I think  ;D     

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 12:01:38 PM »
I like the Discwasher VIP sleeves, but I'm not sure if they are made anymore as I can't seem to find them at my usual supplier.

Offline JackoRoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • lost cause
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 06:34:31 PM »
I like the Discwasher VIP sleeves, but I'm not sure if they are made anymore as I can't seem to find them at my usual supplier.
I was looking for something else and I came across this link.
http://www.sleevetown.com/lp-sleeves-inner.shtml
acid free sleeves, anti-static sleeves. Made by diskeeper
On a side note I store my LP's flat I only have a small stack of them
and they fit well where they go for the moment.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com